PDA

View Full Version : "The Stuffed Dog"

Bloodaxe
04-27-2006, 03:25 AM
One of the real ale pubs I frequent- "The Turk's Head" is known more often as the above. Guess why? Yup, it has a stuffed dog in a glass case in the bar, known as "Wanderin' Willie".
The story goes back to 1860. Whilst driving sheep down from Northumberland down to the ferry on the River Tyne, Willie got parted from his master. He waited at the ferry landing for his master's return, sustained by scraps of food by the riverside workers- his master never returned, so his loyalty was to no avail and he died several years later- a sad story, eh?
Anyway, as a sort of tribute to a Geordie version of Greyfriars Bobby, the Landlord of the The Turks Head had him stuffed and his rather sad gaze has observed quite a few generations of drinkers since.

BrewDog
04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I remember reading this story in a Ripley's Believe it or Not book years ago.....

Wow.

chazwicke
05-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I've been in a pub in Bury St. Edmunds that had the 900 year old mummified remains of a black cat nailed to the ceiling. The Nutshell. Apparently it came out of the walls of a nearby building. We were told that they used to wall up a cat for good luck. Not sure if this is true or not. I have a picture somewhere.