PDA

View Full Version : Good Beer Guide Germany book

munich1
06-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I just received my copy of the "Good Beer Guide Germany" book by Steve Thomas. It is published by the Campaign for Real Ale, and is 573 pages of brewery information, including location of breweries and their brewery taps, opening hours, beers brewed, distance from DB station, and a couple sentence review of each brewery. That would be information on over 1250 breweries! There is also a section of pub reviews for selected cities. I couldn't find anywhere in the US to order the book from, maybe because it is too new? I ordered through amazon.co.uk and paid 9.22 pounds for the book (16.99 pounds list) and 6.94 pounds shipping which totals to about $30.00. But it appears that if you order through bookdepository.co.uk (the source of my amazon.co.uk order) you can get it for 11.22 pounds, w/ free shipping. I wish I had known that! It is worth every penny I paid though, especially if you are a "beer tourist" like me. It will be my constant companion on my future trips to Germany.

Stahlsturm
06-21-2006, 02:03 PM
I wonder how accurate it is.

munich1
06-21-2006, 04:17 PM
I believe it was published in April of '06. There is also a related web site
http://www.german-breweries.com/closures.htm
listing closures, openings etc.
I'll let you know if it is accurate after I get back from my late July Germany trip!

MeridianFC
06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
All of the CAMRA guide books are well regarded. Obviously they're being written for a specific beer audience, but one that is adventerous.

munich1 are you sure the free shipping includes the US?

munich1
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I just checked the book depository web site and it stated "Special Offer! Now! Free delivery anywhere." And upon clicking on the free delivery anywhere notice, it included the US as a free shipping destination. But the book is now up a tad to 11.41 pounds (about $21.00).

HarkJohnny
06-22-2006, 11:04 AM
wow... how'd ya like to be researcher/writer for THAT book! :cool: cool job!

Stahlsturm
06-29-2006, 01:26 AM
I got it now and it's quite the monster. Highly recommended.

chazwicke
06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
I'll be ordering mine from CAMRA. Saw the review in the June Issue of Whats Brewing. Sturm is in contact with the author and will help him with future updates. Right Sturm?

munich1
06-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Stahlsturm,
Have you had time to check if the German Brewery Bible is accurate for your neck of the woods? I hope it proves to be a reliable source for info for me when I'm on my fast approaching trip to beer heaven...Munich, Bamberg and environs.

Stahlsturm
06-30-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm talking to Steve on AIM and we both learn :) It's amazing how much this guy knows and he's not even german, hehehe. "Helping him" would be an overstatement but I will supply him with info on places and changes with breweries here in eastern Bavaria.

To my best knowledge the info for here is correct with the sole exception of a brewery in Burglengendfeld that he still lists but which has closed since.

Stahlsturm
06-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by munich1
Munich, Bamberg and environs.

Of course, neither München nor Bamberg is really "my neck of the woods". Try Regensburg, Landshut, Amberg for that :D