PDA

View Full Version : Good beer in Orlando- where is it?!!

jackrussel
07-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Hello all- I will be in Orlando, Fl, from 8/29 until 9/12, anyone have any ideas for good ale to be had, in a bar / pub / restaurant setting, as opposed to store bought beer? Or within driving distance for a day / night out? (I know about and have been to A1A, and Shipyard). I last had some of the O.B.P. (O.B.P.on O.B.T.=R.I.P. ? can anyone confirm?) at Rossi's on O.B.T, so anyone know what they sell nowadays? Any other ideas you may have would be welcome. I know Hops went under- or at least I think they did. There MUST be some- I surely hope so, I will need to keep my fluid intake up, as being a Limey I'll sweat like a hog :o
Seriously, any help is most welcome.
Also, looking for Ken Koenig- lost yer email mate, can u mail me about the GBBF plz? Or anyone else going to GBBF this year, and fancy a meet up? Best regards everyone,,,,Dave

PS if you have SKYPE do a search for LordLuxury and give me a call!

MikShau
07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Comming to Florida in the peak of hurricane season. I congradulate you on your utter disregard for those fear mongers from California and Las Vegas.

As for beer. Rossi's is still there. I was there yesterday. They had something called Tremont ale and Old Thumper on hand drawn cask. I believe both are from Shipyard. They also had Dogfsh Head's 60 minute IPA on tap, along with an apricot ale and the usual lineup of Harps, Guinness, Pilsner ..... Go there on Mondays for half price beer day.

OBP??? Orange Blossom Pilsner??
It's at the tap room

6409 Raleigh Street
Orlando, FL 32835
Call 407.296.9690 Fax 407.296.2280

Orlando Brewing Partners. Tap room Down town. Great lineup of taps.

Orlando Brewing
1301 Atlanta Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32806
Voice Line: 407-872-1117

Feel like a tourist and want to got to a "real" English pub?

Cricketers Arms Pub

They have Fullers ESB and a variety of hand drawn ales for $6 a pint.

8445 International Drive (In the Mercado Marketplace) Orlando, Florida, USA 407-354-0686

Stuck on Disney property? Big River Grille and Brewery at Disney's Boardwalk. It's where I get my yeast ( and an occasional pint). He has a boch going now that I'll be sipping in an hour or so.

Want to get real drunk with the locals and still have drinkable beer?

$10 pitchers of Smithwicks, Guiness, Harps until 7.
Kitty O'Shea's Irish Pub
(407) 238-9769 8470 Palm Pkwy

It's close to Disney, in a shopping plaza across from Hooters. Plan on staggering home.

Want to buy package goods from an excellent selection ?

Knightly Spirits At Metrowest
(407) 298-1515 2603 S Hiawassee Rd
Orlando, FL

Then there's the good Old Ale House where you can guzzle MGD, Lite, and IceHouse for $1 a pint on Monday and Thursday.

Good luck, and that red card for Rooney was a bit much.

threecb
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MikShau
They had something called Tremont ale and Old Thumper on hand drawn cask. I believe both are from Shipyard.

Tremont is actually contract brewed by Shipyard. It used to be a stand alone brewery in Boston that shut down and went to contract brewing. Nothing like what it used to be.

Tremont (http://www.tremontale.com/)

Old Thumper is, in my opinion, the best that Shipyard does and perfect for cask ale. It is a recipe made for the Ringwood yeast.

Sorry, no valuable info about the Orlando area here.

Seymour
07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Searching the foggy recesses of my memory, I want to say Richard English hopped over the pond for a quick jaunt through Orlando and posed the same question. You might PM him to see what luck he had. Safe trip!

jackrussel
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanx to all who have responded to my enquiries, and in such quick fashion. It's all very helpful to me. I was in this position 3 years ago, and had a good response then too. I ended up meeting 2 good chaps, Rob Bernys, of OBP (anyone know what he's up to these days- we have lost touch and I'd love to hear from him again) and Matt Glass from Hops (now moved on to pastures new but we keep in touch). So Fl beer scene is continuing it's upward movement it would appear. I have noted all the info so far, for use when I arrive. Any further suggestions are of course still welcome, as I feel sure there is more to be had of the good stuff out there. I won't be able to indulge every day, so I will need to be a little selective, which is always a hard task, as what ever gets left out is nearly always related later as a "shoulda done THIS mate!" type of thing. Such is life! Anyway, thanx again, and please keep it coming. Cheers& Beers!

kinjar
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MikShau
Stuck on Disney property? Big River Grille and Brewery at Disney's Boardwalk. It's where I get my yeast ( and an occasional pint). He has a boch going now that I'll be sipping in an hour or so.

I second that recommendation - especially sitting out on the boardwalk watching the Epcot fireworks from a distance.

Speaking of Epcot - if you are going there - the World Showcase portion has many great beer options.

jackrussel
07-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Just a thought- I didn't make it clear that I can travel around so I am not resricted to Orlando- (in the past I have been to Tampa and St.Augustine) so anything in a radius of say 50 miles or so, or any other suggestions? Anyone know of a bar called the Bull & Bush, in Orlando- I recall it is near a dairy somewhere, maybe to the north or east of the city center? What is on sale there currently? Anyone coming over to the GBBF on the Friday?
Thanx!!

Insidious Rex
10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok my turn... Ill be in Orlando in a couple weeks without a car and right near the convention center. Ive heard about Jax 5th Avenue Deli and the Back Booth but they seem pretty far from my hotel. Are they worth the $40+ taxi rides to get there and back (granted I do get reimbursed...)?

Also, Ive been told to check out Cafe Tu Tu Tango for a good combination of food and beer. And of course Crickiteers Arms which was accross the street from me last year and I enjoyed.

Any other gems Im missing?