PDA

View Full Version : Pubs in Salisbury

dparsons
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
I've going a business trip to Salisbury, England for a week coming up. I'm wondering what pubs are recommended. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

steveh
11-01-2006, 06:29 AM
The Wyndham Arms (http://www.hopback.co.uk/beer-shop/hop_back_history.php), original home of Hopback and Haunch of Venison -- Oldest pub in Salisbury. Seriously, have the venison, it's terrific.

From www.beerintheevening.com/pubs:
Infamous for the mummified remains of a hand hacked off during a card game, but famous for fantastic food and atmosphere, The Haunch of Venison in the heart of Salisbury is a venue that must not be missed. Probably one of the oldest Hostelries in Salisbury with a solid pewter bar, a resident ghost, and links to the Cathedral it has played a part in many aspects of this great City’s history. Visitors to Salisbury always have a must place to see, but this historic old English Chop House is a must place to eat. The Haunch of Venison regulary features art exhibitions. Great food and great art have always been closely connected; seldom do artists get the opportunity to display works in such an atmospheric environment as The Haunch of Venison. You will be able to eat some of the best food in Salisbury and admire the latest works of art from some of the most talented artists in the South of England.

S.

chazwicke
11-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Been a while since I actually drank in Salisbury - I can remember drinking The Bishops Tipple there in 89 or so. But I have visited the cathedral a few times. I believe that it was the inspiration for Ken Folletts "Pillars of the Earth" one of my favorite novels. Also the book "Sarum" tells the story of the Salisbury Plain area via historical fiction. I vaguely remember the pub in which I drank there but you'll undoubtably find several. Do you have the most recent Good Beer Guide published by CAMRA?

And you may be a bit underwelmed by Stonehenge. It is smaller that you might think it is but still impressive.

Have a great trip.

dparsons
11-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. They are appreciated.

I had picked the Haunch of Venison as a place to try for dinner as it was the notable title of the 4 restaurants that showed up on the list of amenities when we were booking travel. Nice to know it has good beer too. I'm guessing there are more than 4 restaurants in Salisbury. We'll also have to get by the Wyndham Arms if Hopback is winning that many awards.

I don't have the Good Beer Guide. I found it online, but doubt it would arrive before I leave. I may check locally.

Yes, Stonehenge is just a collection of rocks in a big grass field. The significance of the rocks is bigger than the rocks themselves. I plan to see it as well as the catherdral in Salisbury. I've managed to swing a few days just for visiting and will have a friend with me. I'm looking forward to the trip. I'm also glad the people there speak somewhat the same language.

steveh
11-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by dparsons
I'm guessing there are more than 4 restaurants in Salisbury.

The shopping area of Salisbury had some nice pubs, including one with many Belgian brews - plus a rack of pins and firkins ripe for the picking. Sorry I can't recall the name of the place.

There was also a quaint little pub right near the train station that had a few hand-pumps.

And definitely see the cathedral - look at it once, then look at the date it was built and try to comprehend the distance in time -- amazing.

S.

steveh
11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
89 pubs in Salisbury, sorry I can't remember the one with the Belgians, but it was near the mill in the shopping district!

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml?l=Salisbury

S.

Richard English
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
You'll find most pubs that are mentioned in the GBG will also sell copies behind the bar. Take a look at the entrance - if they're in the GBG they will probably have a sticker there.

dparsons
11-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the tip Richard. It makes sense that if they're in the book they would want to advertise that.

dparsons
11-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm back. I had quite a good time. We managed to visit Sarem and the Cathedral in Salisbury as well as Stonehenge and the Avebury Stone Circle and spent a day in London too.

A number of us went by "the Haunch" and had some good cask ale and some good conversation with the locals. The Hopback Odyssey Best Bitter was quite good. I tried Hopback's Summer Lightening too but didn't like it so much. It had something like a tanin flavor in it that wasn't so good. The Oddesy had a very clean, light, & dry character to it and was on the malty side.

The only other ale I tried that was also of note was a Timothy Taylor's Landlord that was delicious. It had more hop flavor and aroma than the Hopback and wasn't quite as dry. The idea of shipping a keg of it back crossed my mind.