PDA

View Full Version : Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA

djaychris
12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
All I can say is.....WOW

Decided to finish a night at the local brew shop with one of these. Little did I know it packed a 20% wallop. Has an incredibly hop aroma, smells like you are about to get a mouthful of dry hops. Due to the extremely high alcohol contant, you get a substantual warmth and alcohol taste, which pretty much balances out all the hops. Has some notes of caramel and plum, and you definatley know the alcohol is there. A little while after finishing this bottle I was definately drunk, so be wary. This beer is extreme.

-Dan

DecoJuicer
12-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Believe it or not, I prefer the 60 or 90 to the 120. The 120 was just way to sweet for my tastes.

beer surfer
01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Just picked up the 90 minute, should be interesting.

HogieWan
01-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I had a nice day sampling the 60 then 90 then 120. I found the 120 WAY too sweet. i couldn't even pick out hops because the sweetness distracted me. The 60 was pretty good, but the 90 - WOW!

chazwicke
01-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I have 60 on my kegerator at the beach.

beer surfer
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Just finished the 90, and wow, to sum it up for someone who hasnt had it. It's intense and very drinkable.

Beefsteak
01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by beer surfer
Just finished the 90, and wow, to sum it up for someone who hasnt had it. It's intense and very drinkable.

The 90 is my favorite. I also find the 120 to way too sweet.

n0rmann
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm actually a big fan of the 120 minute, but you need to give it some time to mellow out.

I just picked up a bottle of the World Wide Stout, 18 percent, I can't wait to try it.

Insidious Rex
01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HogieWan
I found the 120 WAY too sweet. i couldn't even pick out hops because the sweetness distracted me.

I agree with this completely. Ive had the 60 and expected twice as much hops out of the 120. Instead I got sweetness and alcohol. Is it that you can only hop a beer so much before you start chemically altering things that change the taste away from the classic hop taste? Ive always wondered this because it seems these extreme extreme super hopped beers taste less hoppy then a good strong standard IPA.

sundontlie
01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
finally got down to Gaithersburg to sample some tap dogfishes..
they have a mix of their 60 minute and 90 minute called 75 minute (appropriately).. pretty good stuff of course.
they didn't have their hop cylinder working though where they filter your beer through a cylinder of fresh hops.. mmmmmm

mnstorm99
01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I have to try DFH beers. Unfortunatly There are no distributers in my stste, yet.

Mill Rat
01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I agree with this completely. Ive had the 60 and expected twice as much hops out of the 120. Instead I got sweetness and alcohol. Is it that you can only hop a beer so much before you start chemically altering things that change the taste away from the classic hop taste? Ive always wondered this because it seems these extreme extreme super hopped beers taste less hoppy then a good strong standard IPA.

After about 100 IBU, you won't get much more bitterness in a beer, no matter how hard you try. Some folks say you taste buds saturate at about 70 IBU. Claims of much larger IBU numbers are made, but I think they're just measuring what goes in, not what comes out.

Hops, though, are not just about bitterness, so IBUS only tell part of the story. Late hop additions contribute little bitterness, but lots of hop flavor and aroma. To see what can be done with both heavy hops and high ABV, check out beers like Two Brothers Hop Juice ( a new batch should be out soon, wait for it as this beer is best fresh). The sweetness is not out of proportion, and you'll feel the 9.9% ABV more than you taste it. I'm sure there's other beers that are equally high potency and highly hopped, but Hop Juice is the one I've consumed the most often.

AFA as the 120 minute with the 20% ABV, there's no way that you'll get that amount of alcohol into be beer without a load of sugar that doesn't ferment unless you cheat and just dump a bottle of Everclear into the keg. Kudos to DFH for a radical brew, but I think an honestly achieved 20% ABV comes at a real price in drinkability. A small snifter is the way I'd serve it.

n0rmann
01-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I didn't think the 120 minute, 90 minute etc., referred to IBUs, but something to do with the brewing process. I think I read that the 90 minute topped out in the 70s IBU range.

n0rmann
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually, I'm wrong. It is the IBUs.

ClockworkOrange
01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by mnstorm99
I have to try DFH beers. Unfortunatly There are no distributers in my stste, yet.

What state are you in? Try trading for some.

Cheers!

jesskidden
01-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by n0rmann
Actually, I'm wrong. It is the IBUs.

Well, you're not entirely wrong-

From Calagione's "Brewing Up a Business":-

"The time referenced in the names refer to how long the beer boils and how long we continually hop the beer. It also alludes to the alcohol content and IBU's in each beer as well."

mnstorm99
01-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I am in Minnesota, but My wife has family in Madison, WI and I see there is a Liquor store there that has it, next time we go through.

Although it seems there are a few people looking to trade for New Glarus beers (Which are only distributed in Wisconsin). I can get that with a 30 minute drive to Hudson.

surfadelic23
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I did a lil tasting at the house last Friday.
120 min - Liked the taste, but man was the alcohol evident
90 min - Enjoyed it as much, was a bit more mellow than 120
60 min - I wish they had it on tap at my local. Very easy drinking and enjoyable

I saved a bottle of last yrs. 120. It will be interesting to see how it aged...

KaiBueno
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I've not tried anything by Dogfish Head, but I've heard of it. I need to look around in my area to see if anyone caries it or can order it.

Batch #8 that went into the primary this weekend is a variant of a recipe that is supposedly similar to the 60. That's probably the one I'd buy first, if only to compare ours to it. The 90 and 120 sound interesting (and intense?) tho, something to try if I can find it.