PDA

View Full Version : Off to England

Wit Memo Jeff
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm travelling to England for 10 days in November; a few in London, and a few in Winwick, a small town between Manchester and Liverpool.

I have a 10-year-old copy of CAMRA's "A Guide to the Pubs of London -- Known Treasures & Hidden Gems," which I used to great effect when there in 97 and '02. The house in Winwick where I'll stay has an early-90's guide to pubs of England.

Any recommendations for other guides I should get? I'm quite happy sticking to fine old handsome pubs that are already in those 2 books, so long as they have decent real ale.

Thanks to all,

Jeff

chazwicke
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
London is great in November. There are so many good pubs that I could recommend but if you want to go to a good pub with a large selection of real ale and be across the street from an excellent cheese shop ( http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/ ) head to the Borough Market-an excellent farmers market with a good beer shop with in it. ( Utobeer, a stall in the Borough Market. Hundreds of beers to choose from, many you may not find elsewhere. Obviously plenty of British choices, but also a wide, wide range of Belgian beers, more expensive than in Belgium but blame the British duty. A 750ml of Lou Pepe Kriek was about $14 in April, with a six pack of Goose Island IPA almost $16.
) The Pub is called the Market Porter ( http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=208 ). A block or so down the street is one of London's brewpubs although it is a bit too modern for me and I sampled the Meantime beers there rather than the on premis brew. It is called The Brew Wharf ( http://www.brewwharf.com/ ) It is a 4 or 5 minute walk up the street.

Other notables

White Horse in Parsons Green (You can see it from the Tube stop)

Wenlock Arms - Take a Cab

Buckingham Arms - Youngs

Try this site:

http://fancyapint.com/

Besides the Good Beer Guide I find it very helpful.

There are plenty of fine pubs in London and across the UK, You'll do OK even without a guidebook I'm sure.

thebeergeek
10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I would second the White Horse and Wenlock Arms. If you hit Wenlock Arms, check out the Old Fountain which is a few minutes walk away. My friend, Paul, is the cellarman.

A good website to check out is Beer in the Evening:
http://www.beerintheevening.com/

Richard English
10-04-2007, 04:06 AM
I've said it many times before and know doubt will say it many times again: asking for recommendations about good pubs in London is very different from asking the same thing about, say, Chicago. In Chicago there are many fine bars - but the majority of outlets are chemical fizz shops. To get the best from Chicago you need to know where to go. And the same applies to most other cities (in the world, not just in the USA).

London is different. It has between 5000 and 6000 pubs (nobody seems to know the exact number), most of which sell good beer. It also has a large number of bars (quite a different thing from pubs), some of which sell good beer, plus it has the usual range of hotel bars, much as you'll find in any city - although few of them sell anything worth drinking.

So, although it's a good idea to try some of the recommendations made here, don't feel too upset if you can't make any one of them. Do what I do: just walk around the streets (don't stick to the main streets like Oxford Street and Regent Street) and just try pubs as you find them. I've been doing that for around fifty years and I am still finding new and wonderful pubs.

And in case you are concerned about safety - although London has its share of dodgy areas, by any standards it is a very safe city and you can wander around with no worries. Similarly, both the tube and the buses are very safe to use at any time day or night.

When you see a likely-looking pub, just walk in and see what's on the bar. If there are no beer engines (hand-pumps, hand-pulls) walk right out again. Around 10% of London's pubs don't sell proper beer so you might land on one of those if you're unlucky - but all you need to do is to walk to the next pub which is unlikely to be more than a hundred yards or so away.

When you can see the beer engines, check to see what they have on (it will be shown on a label clipped to the handle) - if it's a beer you've not tried, go in and try it. Don't forget, we brew around 3,000 cask-conditioned beers in the UK and many of them get to London.

Although they are not traditional pubs as such, any branch of J D Wetherspoon will have a range of cask-conditioned beers at very reasonable prices. There are Wetherspoon pubs all over London http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

CAMRA's Good Beer Guide is the best printed reference source and you can buy a copy from CAMRA - http://www.camra.org.uk/

http://www.beerintheevening.com/ is a very good on-line source and you can do a pub search based on many criteria, including availability of cask-conditioned beer.

Finally, any Fuller's pub is a reliable choice for both beer and ambience.

Manchester and Liverpool, too, have some very good pubs but you stand a better chance of landing on a dud since many of them (especially in Liverpool in my experience) have converted to chemical fizz. You would certainly be advised to get some recommendations for either of these cities or you might find yourself in a beer desert! My own recommendation for Manchester is The Marble Arch, on the Rochdale road, about a mile from Manchester Piccadilly station. Best to take a taxi as it's not all that easy to find.

If you're in London when I'm in London I would be happy to meet you and join you in a pint or three. Let me know your dates if that idea appeals to you.

surfadelic23
10-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Here are some that I enjoyed:
Lord Moon Of The Mall London, GB2
Hole In The Wall London, GB2
Mawson Arms London, GB2
St. Stephen's Tavern London, GB2
Bag O' Nails London, GB2
Rake,The London, GB2
White Horse, The London, GB2
Harp, London, GB2
Mitre, London, GB2
Wenlock Arms, London, GB2
Market Porter London, GB2
Pembury Arms, The London, GB2
Dove Free House, The London, GB2

These are just the ones I remember as being great. I head over in a week, and will try to hit some new places that I've read about on Stonch's website and a few other places!

Richard English
10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
What's with the "GB2"?

noby
10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
What's with "The London"?

Richard English
10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
London I understand. It's a city, the largest in Europe, capital of England and one of the best places for cask-beer lovers in the world.

But GB2 is not a London region, a London post code, a London telephone number or, indeed, anything that seems to have anything to do with London at all.

surfadelic23
10-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Bad copy and paste on my part... Disregard the postal codes...
Sorry about any confusion that may have caused...

Lord Moon Of The Mall London SW1A
Hole In The Wall London SE1
Mawson Arms London W4
St. Stephen's Tavern London SW1A
Bag O' Nails London SW1W
Rake London SE1
White Horse London SW6
Harp, London WC2
Mitre, London W2
Wenlock Arms, London N1
Market Porter London SE1
Pembury Tavern London E8
Dove Free House London E8

CORRECTED!

chazwicke
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Richard English
So, although it's a good idea to try some of the recommendations made here, don't feel too upset if you can't make any one of them. Do what I do: just walk around the streets (don't stick to the main streets like Oxford Street and Regent Street) and just try pubs as you find them. I've been doing that for around fifty years and I am still finding new and wonderful pubs.

I find this is what I usually end up doing. I can guarantee you'll find some worth real ales by just wandering.

chazwicke
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by surfadelic23
Bad copy and paste on my part... Disregard the postal codes...
Sorry about any confusion that may have caused...

Lord Moon Of The Mall London SW1A
Hole In The Wall London SE1
Mawson Arms London W4
St. Stephen's Tavern London SW1A
Bag O' Nails London SW1W
Rake London SE1
White Horse London SW6
Harp, London WC2
Mitre, London W2
Wenlock Arms, London N1
Market Porter London SE1
Pembury Tavern London E8
Dove Free House London E8

CORRECTED!

I think I've been to at least 6 of those.

noby
10-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Richard English
London I understand. It's a city, the largest in Europe, capital of England

Thanks for the geography lesson. It was more the "The" bit I was questioning.

surfadelic23, don't mind, just being picky.

surfadelic23
10-05-2007, 08:33 AM
"I think I've been to at least 6 of those."

Good stuff, eh Chazwicke!

"surfadelic23, don't mind, just being picky."
LOL, No worries... Cheers!

I'm just stoked to be spending 11 nights split b/w London and Edinburgh! I've never been in Scotland but my family has and swears I'll love it...

I've also been hearing good things about the Bricklayers Arms in Putney and a brew pub that recently opened in Fulham. It sounds like the pub crawl potential in SW6 and environs is improving quite nicely...

Man am I thirsty... Now I just need some tickets for the football LOL!

chazwicke
10-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I was in England, Scotland and Wales back in March. It had been a long time since I had visited Wales and Scotland. I had good beer everywhere I stopped. But London is my Mecca.

Wit Memo Jeff
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As it stands now, we leave Tuesday, flying into Manchester and staying in Winwick. Beyond that, everything is up in the air.

Richard, if it looks like we're headed for London, I'll find some internet access and post here.

Thanks again,

Jeff

darylM
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
All of the beers I homebrew have some English influence. It could be the yeast, hops or how much carbonation. To be there and taste it and really get a feel for the beer there would be fantastic.

Wit Memo Jeff
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Back from 10 days in England, where we sampled many real ales. Two days were spent in London, where we had the pleasure of meeting Richard English at a meeting of the Simpletons Speaking Club, in the cozy upstairs room at The Victoria (http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1359.html), a gorgeous Fuller's pub. Richard's a great guy and it was fun listening to the extemporaneous presentations of the speaking club members, and taking our turns as well, with the encouragement of pints of London Pride and ESB and bottles of 1845. Pictures will follow.

Another fine London pub we visited was Cittie of York (http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub134.html), a Sam Smith's pub. Sadly, the building housing the nearby Princess Louise was being renovated. Other interesting beers we sampled in London included Tribute Premium Cornish Ale, and Timothy Taylor Landlord.

Most of our time was spent in a small town between Manchester and Liverpool. The real find there was the "Fiddle I'Th Bag," on Alder Lane between Burtonwood and Winwick, north of Warrinton, Chesire, a family-owned pub crammed with odd memorabilia and serving a changing selection of real ale. Ones we sampled on two visits included Deuchar's IPA from Scotland, Cromwell's Bitter from Warrington, Yardstick Bitter from I forget where, and "World's Biggest Liar" from Jennings, in Cockermouth (brewers of Sneck Lifter). The Sunday roast dinners were delicious. If you're ever in that neck of the woods, well off the tourist track in the birthplace of the industrial revolution, definitely stop by!

chazwicke
11-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I've enjoyed a few beers with Richard and the Simpletons myself. It was great fun and all of them are nice folk. I've enjoyed Richard's compant severaltimes when I've been across the pond. I've also met up with Stronk. I look forward to more meetings. Sounds like a great trip.