PDA

View Full Version : Abita

Rabies
11-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Abita is brewed in Abita Springs, Louisiana.

Abita brews;
BOCK. A Fave
LIGHT
AMBER
WHEAT
GOLDEN
RED ALE
FALL FEST
TURBODOG. Another fave
ANDYGATOR. Dat's good, yeah.
PURPLE HAZE
CHRISTMAS ALE
RESTORATION ALE

My buddy who still lives there tells me they now have one called High Gravity, but I don't see it on their site. It may be Andygator.

HogieWan
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Rabies

My buddy who still lives there tells me they now have one called High Gravity, but I don't see it on their site. It may be Andygator.

yep - andygator

El Bandito
11-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I just saw Abita's seasonal pecan ale in the store. I might have to try it.

Seymour
11-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by El Bandito
I just saw Abita's seasonal pecan ale in the store. I might have to try it.

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15869

In case you were curious. A previous discussion about their pecan ale.

Wilson
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I heard they have a new IPA called Jockimo, or something. Anybody tried it?

Got a subscription to a brew of the month club to try some new stuff, guess what one of the first two beers where? Abita. Oh the irony.

HogieWan
11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
I tried the Jockomo last night. If you had the Restoration Ale, it was the same beer with a bigger grain bill but the same hops. I guess it could pass for an English IPA, but just barely

Wilson
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Sad. I wish for once they'd make a really different and good beer. The Strawberry lager was close, but I couldnt drink more than 2-3, to damn sweet. But the Amber tastes like the Pecan, the Restoration was the ale version of the Anniversary Lager, and the rest (while drinkable) are hardly worth it to me anymore. TurboDog is good, but nothing original.

Throw out the old recipes and come out with something new! Use some different malts and yeast! Dont just tweak the same tired old stuff! Ok, I'll stop the rant.

I picked up a La Pavillion Hotel amber the other day. Brewed by Heinerbrau. A decent brew. I'll review it and post.

HogieWan
11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Wilson

I picked up a La Pavillion Hotel amber the other day. Brewed by Heinerbrau. A decent brew. I'll review it and post.

If you want to talk about "the same recipes" try the La Pavillion after having the Amber Lager from Zea's restaurant (brewed by Heinerbrau). Both of them (if they are at all different) are a bit too sweet for me.

chazwicke
11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Do they still make that Andygator? When I visited the brewery back in the 90s I picked up some of the small bottles. I thought I still had a couple but have not seen them for awhile in my cellar.

Wilson
11-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by HogieWan
If you want to talk about "the same recipes" try the La Pavillion after having the Amber Lager from Zea's restaurant (brewed by Heinerbrau). Both of them (if they are at all different) are a bit too sweet for me.

No kidding? I havent been to Zea's since before Katrina; are both beers brewed by Heinerbrau? Is Heinerbrau brewing all of Zea's beers?

Did the guy at Heinerbrau get his start at Abita? Thats a rumor I heard from a banker from Mandeville (he told me the investors forced him out). I thought the La Pavillion was decent. I'll admit its not remarkable, but I found it to be very drinkable.

Chaz- I dont know if the Andygator is around anymore or not. I havent seen it in a long time in the northern part of LA. I never thought it was any good.

chazwicke
11-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't recall what it tasted like. I had 4 7 or 8 oz bottles. Wasn't it a barley wine?

Wilson
11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought it was a 'malt liquor.'

chazwicke
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I honestly can't recall drinking it. So I wonder what happened to my bottles. At any rate BA calls it a Dopplebock: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/1565
In the comments section there someone points out that Abita calls it a barleywine.

newportstorm
11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by chazwicke
I honestly can't recall drinking it. So I wonder what happened to my bottles. At any rate BA calls it a Dopplebock: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/1565
In the comments section there someone points out that Abita calls it a barleywine.

A barleywine fermented with German lager yeast?
Hmmm.....

http://www.abita.com/brew/andygator.html

steveh
11-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Wilson
I thought it was a 'malt liquor.'

Malt liquor isn't a style, it's a taxing code. :rolleyes:

S.

Wilson
11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I meant like Mickey's. The first time I had it (granted this was many years ago) the bar tender told me it was their 'malt liquor.'

In hindsight, he very well could have not known what he was talking about.

Le Ray
11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I had the new IPA last weekend and thought it was really good! I will be buying more of it. It's pretty strong, nice color and good taste. I think they did a good job with it. It's listed on their site..
Abita (http://www.abita.com/)

HogieWan
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I tried the IPA again - it seems like an English IPA with American hops.

AndyGator is still brewed and is decent, but not spectacular.

wilson - Heiner is brewing for Zea, and Henryk did start at Abita.

Le Ray
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Got another 6 pack of the IPA yesterday. I'm really enjoying it.