PDA

View Full Version : Brewing towns near Straubing

munich1
12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
The Mrs. and I will be going to Straubing this coming August for the Gäubodenvolksfest http://www.gaeubodenvolksfest.de/
Does anyone have any recommendations for nearby brewing towns to visit? We've been to Regensburg, so we are looking for a different destination than there. Ideally, the town(s) would be served by trains...no driving for us! Ideas?

Stahlsturm
12-24-2007, 07:06 AM
The trouble with bavarian breweries is that they're usually out in the country and can't be reached by public transportation. Since you'll be located in Straubing and already saw Regensburg I think your best bets would be Landshut and Passau. If you want to go a bit further, go to Amberg as well.

zauber1
12-27-2007, 12:21 AM
What route will you be taking? If you fly into Nuremberg, you will pass hundreds of great breweries.
If you go through Munich, don't pass up the brewery in Erding. 5 Minutes from the train station.

Thurn und Taxis in Regensberg is great! Good cristal weizen and hefeweizen. Brewery tour is via tape recorder and self paced.

Stahlsturm
12-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by zauber1
Thurn und Taxis in Regensberg is great!
Must've been a while since you were in Regensburg :)

MTFrank1
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I have friend who teaches at American school and lives in Amberg.
There are tons of good places to drink. Write the Verkehramt for an address list. God, I'd like to be back there.

Stahlsturm
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Which american school is he teaching at ? At the Grafenwöhr Military base ?

As for Amberg, it's a bit far from Straubing (although not by american standards which is why I suggested it) but definetly worth the trip.

zauber1
12-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Stahlsturm
Must've been a while since you were in Regensburg :)
Yeah, it has been a while. Don't tell me the bad news? Thurn and Taxis out of business?

MTFrank1
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Put it to the metal. It's called the autobahn. We stayed at timeshare right across from Straubing. Mitterfels. This is the center for American troups. Grafenwehr, Vilsek, Hohfels, Amberg, and the new Netzaberg. There is no such thing as a bad German beer. They call our beer pee-pee wasser. Frank

MTFrank1
12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Almost all the breweries have room upstairs. If you fly into Muenchen go to the book store down from the bahnhof. Circular fountain infront. MacDonald's next store. They have book with all the breweries that have rooms. Drink all night and walk upstairs.
Remember: In Deutschland you don't say " you will not take a blood alcohol test." They can put you on the ground regardless of what you say. They have the all-time beer. I never drank a pils. It was too slow to pour. I could have downed two exports by the time my pils was ready.

munich1
12-30-2007, 09:51 PM
We are flying into Frankfurt, and immediately heading to the Bamberg region. We plan on staying at Spezial (rooms above the brewery!) and exploring some of the nearby brewing towns from there. We have been to Bamberg previously.

Then off to Straubing. I've yet to really look at maps of the Straubing area, but maybe some nearby brewing towns can be reached by bicycle?? When we were last in Bamberg, we visited 3 brewing towns this way.

And Erding is on my long list of "Metro Munich Brewing Towns" to visit!

Made it to Passau this fall....nice brewing town! I was unable to sample all of the region's breweries, but did make it to Vilshofen and Aldersbach. Missed out on two of Passau's breweries, as well as the two breweries in nearby Scharding, Austria. Maybe another time......

MTFrank1
12-30-2007, 10:37 PM

Stahlsturm
12-31-2007, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by zauber1
Yeah, it has been a while. Don't tell me the bad news? Thurn and Taxis out of business?

T&T was sold to Paulaner about 15 years ago. It only exists as a label on beer bottles now, it's not even clear where it's being brewed these days. The big brewery in Regensburg was closed immediately and torn down a few years ago. There's appartment buildings there now.

The second brewery in Schierling (that made the Roggen) was saved by the people of the town with the help of a big regional brewery (Kuchlbauer in Abensberg) and they are still going strong. They mainly brew Pils and Hell there.

About two years ago they opened a T&T Brewpub here in Regensburg that's brewing on the premesis which is jointly owned by the T&T family and Paulaner. It reeks of money grabbing but their beer isn't bad. I've been there once and it was a surprisingly good experience.

Stahlsturm
12-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by munich1
We are flying into Frankfurt, and immediately heading to the Bamberg region.

Then off to Straubing.

Well, if you come down from Bamberg you make a left turn to Amberg on the A 6 in Nürnberg and you won't regret it. There are 4 breweries right in town and several more in a 10 mile radius around it.

If you can't make that detour at LEAST stop over in Neumarkt. It's right off the A 3 down to Straubing, right after Nürnberg. Neumarkt is a very nice little town and they have 3 breweries there as well. And very good ones at that.

Originally posted by munich1
I've yet to really look at maps of the Straubing area, but maybe some nearby brewing towns can be reached by bicycle?? When we were last in Bamberg, we visited 3 brewing towns this way.

Well, the area where Straubing lies has been thinned out of breweries quite a bit. There are a few places in Straubing County, up in the hills but wether you're that good at biking or not I can't say :)

munich1
01-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok, I was thinking of stopping at either Neumarkt or Amberg on my way from Bamberg to Straubing. But it would appear that I should give either of the towns more than the 4 hours or so that I was planning to alot for the stop...how can I tour the town AND enjoy their numerous breweries/beers in such a short time? So maybe I should spend a day/night in one of the towns.....the difference in train travel time to either town is not much. So would Amberg be the best choice? Would one day even be enough time? Maybe I should skip the stop altogether and visit Amberg or Neumarkt on a future trip. Oh boy, decisions, decisions!
Having a car would certainly open up more options for us, but simply put, I refuse to enjoy the great beer and then drive. What is the German BAC limit... .06?? I'm afraid I'd go over that limit. One of the main reasons I visit Germany is for the beer....well, beer is THE reason (and luckily for me my wife puts up with it). Sightseeing is a close second.

Stahlsturm
01-04-2008, 07:28 AM
The geerman limit is 0.5 but should something happen you can get in trouble with as little as 0.3 so be careful. Driving over here is a LOT faster and more hectic than you are most likely used to from the States.

As for a decision, hmmm. Personally I prefer Amberg which also has a rich history (Not that Neumarkt wouldn't...) and it has 5 breweries in town and several more in the close vicinity. Spending a night there and then move on to Straubing is probably a good idea. Amberg is not a huge tourist town (Like Nürnberg or Rothenburg would be) but there's plenty of accomodation to be had there right in the old town.

Here's a link that might prove useful :) Scroll down past the expensive places and you'll find places where you can stay for under 30 EUR a night.
http://barrierefrei.hotel-ami.de/h-deu-D/A/Amberg/92

MTFrank1
01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
(1) We stayed at Mercure in Amberg and was reasonable and good location. You can book online. It is one of the Accor properties. Tied in Motel 6.
(2) Don't feel that you have to have a brewery to have a good time drinking. There are many just great beer drinking establishments in the city.
(3) It is a great street to walk around (walk street only). Not big and is convenient to Bahnhof.

munich1
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Some day I'll rent a car in Germany and tear up the autobahn, but not this trip.

I've been driven around in Germany, but traffic was bad (Munich) and parking was even worse! Plus getting lost can be a drag.

Would a GPS unit be helpful in Germany? I'm thinking of buying one...especially to help with directions when bicycling. I suppose I would have to download some maps or something? I know very little about GPS.

And re: Hotel Mercure - It appears to be sold out in August!

Stahlsturm's hotel link for Amberg may hold promise.

And one more question.....has anyone been to Bayreuth or Hof?? I'm kicking around the idea of making one of those two towns my stop on the way to Straubing.

Stahlsturm
01-07-2008, 02:40 AM
If you have to decide between Bayreuth and Hof I'd definetly go to Bayreuth.
1) it's closer and not out of the way.
2) it's a LOT nicer than Hof
3) there are a LOT more breweries in and around Bayreuth
4) there's lot's of old buildings and a very nice cathedral to keep the Mrs. happy :D

As for GPS, I'm old-fashioned in that matter and I insist on paper maps in my universe. Since the road system in Germany has grown over millenia it is a tangled mess and thus it's almost impossible to program all that properly into a GPS. Trust me, get a map (a 1:200000 scale Generalkarte for instance) and to Hell with that damn computer voice (I would insert another *grin* smiley here but the damn system won't let me).

Traffic here in Germany in general can be trying for one who's only used to the crawl you dare to call "driving" in the USA. And I must warn you, it is VERY dangerous to tear up the Autobahn if you're not used to that kind of speed. Cars react very differently and reactions don't get faster just by turning the ignition key of a Porsche. I advise much caution there or you'll be travelling home in a bag. And we wouldn't want that, now would we ?

munich1
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
A couple of more questions.....

Does anyone know of any nice biergartens in the Straubing area?

And to Stahlstrum (again).....you may have mentioned in an older post what biers are good at the Straubing fest.....might you list them once again? I know when I went to the Annafest in Forchheim, some of the fest biers were......not so good. But then I heard that the next year, the couple of breweries that had had poor biers were much improved. Does this happen at the Gäubodenvolksfest? Uneven quality from year to year?

Stahlsturm
02-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Does anyone know of any nice biergartens in the Straubing area? I don't know any, Straubing is too far from Regensburg o just go there for a beer. Or rather, there are too many nice places way closer so I just hardly ever get there.

And to Stahlstrum (again).....you may have mentioned in an older post what biers are good at the Straubing fest.....might you list them once again? I know when I went to the Annafest in Forchheim, some of the fest biers were......not so good. But then I heard that the next year, the couple of breweries that had had poor biers were much improved. Does this happen at the Gäubodenvolksfest? Uneven quality from year to year?There are two breweries in SR so they are present for sure. They are "Röhrlbräu" and "Karmelitenbrauerei". Also present is the "Brauerei Irlbach". I can't figure out what beer they have in the other tents. As you can see here:
http://www.volksfest-straubing.de/festzelte.html
there's a total of 7 tents.