PDA

View Full Version : Keg Questions

eamanzoiii
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I made a five gallon batch of beer and going into second week of fermentation
and aftering removing dead yeast I now only have 4 1/2 gallons left is this normal ? how can i get a full 5 gals in the future ?

What do you people use to sanatize your corny kegs before filling ?

Thank You
Eugene Manzo

BrewDog
03-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I always formulate my recipes so that I brew 5 1/2 gallons going into the fermenter. This leaves me with about 5 gallons post fermentation.

Also, star-san or iodophor are pretty much the sanitizers of choice. I always dismantle them completely (well, I leave the o-rings in place - I only change them if they need it which is on the order of a couple years with a well cared for keg). Some will go a couple or even a few refills without complete disassembly, but I don't like the risk.

HTH-

corkybstewart
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I always formulate my recipes so that I brew 5 1/2 gallons going into the fermenter. This leaves me with about 5 gallons post fermentation.

Also, star-san or iodophor are pretty much the sanitizers of choice. I always dismantle them completely (well, I leave the o-rings in place - I only change them if they need it which is on the order of a couple years with a well cared for keg). Some will go a couple or even a few refills without complete disassembly, but I don't like the risk.

HTH-
It's funny but we have exactly the opposite approach. I change my o-rings on the posts if not every time I fill the kegs, at least every second time. But in the 10 years I've been kegging I haven't disassembled a keg yet for cleaning. StarSan does a great job of sanitizing, that foam can get into every place in a keg that a nasty can hide. I have lost 2 kegs of good beer and 1 bottle of CO2 to leaky orings on the posts so I change them all the time.

P-Train
03-02-2008, 08:43 AM
BrewDog,

How does one formulate the batch? If it's an extract like I do then the recipe only gives you so much wort, yeast and so forth. I've had the same problem but felt I'd accidentally water down the beer if not careful.

zoom6zoom
03-02-2008, 09:04 AM
You can get a huge supply of O-Rings from McMaster for about eight bucks, shipped. No more paying 3.50 a set for this boy.

zoom6zoom
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Since I got a few PM's on it, here are the part numbers I use:

Here are the McMaster Carr part numbers for the o-rings that fit the ball-lock kegs:

Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$1.89 (yes, these are the same ones the shops sell for fifty cents EACH.)

Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.15

Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

Oetiker clamps for 3/16" and 1/4" hose. (Same as NB part num #K126)
52545K51
Pkg/25 $8.35

This part number ( 5231K351 ) will take you to the correct catalog page for beverage tubing.

Shipping on my O-Ring order was just over $4.00
http://www.mcmaster.com/

hooky
03-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I went the McMaster Carr route also. I've got enough o-rings to last me for years even after giving some to a buddy.

barleyburps
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
i only change the o-rings on my cornies when I start experiencing problems. . . i.e. on the ball locks, when the hose fittings become hard to push onto the keg fittings, and the lids if I can't get a seal.

I never take everything apart during cleaning. I'm a big believer that the"continuous disassembly and reassembly" of parts causes more leaks than naturally happens over time.

when I am cleaning/sanitizing my cornies, I lay them on their side and use a small screwdriver to push in the poppet valves so that the cleaning/sanitizing fluid will flow through the diptube and the inlet port.

barleyburps
03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
I typically use either star san, or a dilute bleach water solution for sanitizing (2 oz bleach/5 gallon water for a maximum of 20 minutes).

BrewDog
03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
It's funny but we have exactly the opposite approach. I change my o-rings on the posts if not every time I fill the kegs, at least every second time. But in the 10 years I've been kegging I haven't disassembled a keg yet for cleaning. StarSan does a great job of sanitizing, that foam can get into every place in a keg that a nasty can hide. I have lost 2 kegs of good beer and 1 bottle of CO2 to leaky orings on the posts so I change them all the time.

Wow, Corky, that is weird that we are so opposite on this-

I am absolutely paranoid about the nooks and crannies of my kegs, so I disassemble them every refill, regardless. As a matter of fact, I usually do it twice. When I clean it upon emptying it, I'll disassemble and soak everything in PBW, then rinse, reassemble, and put a small amount of star-san solution in it, shake well to coat everything, then store that keg under a few pounds of pressure to keep the seal from warping. On kegging day, I'll disassemble it again, re-soak all parts in star-san for a few minutes, then reassemble.

I have NEVER had a single o-ring problem. Once I change out the original nasty soda-encrusted o-rings, I keep my eyes on them. They usually go a couple years for me but if they start to look worn, scratched or 'tired', then I will change them out.

hooky
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I check the rings, pull the posts, tubes and poppets to check for anything that needs to be cleaned, spray them with star san, put them together, dump a little star san in the keg and shake it up well. So far, so good.

Botoole560
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Just ordered my McMaster O-rings. Thanks to Zoomzoom's generous posting of the item numbers and descriptions I saved a ton of time. My grand total for 100 each of the lil' guys and 10 of the lid rings was $16.54. And they have a will-call location near me so I don't even need to have it shipped. Thanks again Zoomzoom, I appeciate it!!

Thank you