PDA

View Full Version : Best German beer?

TBIM
03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I've had many German beers and really enjoyed them. What do you think is the best German beer?

steveh
03-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh c'mon -- that's like asking who's your favorite child. Too many great beers out of Germany to pick a "best." And too many that don't get to the U.S. to be fair.

S.

(he ranted, drinking an '07 H-P Oktoberfest found at a local)

beerking
03-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Kind of like the question I often get from people when they learn I am a beer judge: "What is your favorite beer?"

My answer is usually something like "What is your favorite food?" Whatever the answer, I reply by suggesting they eat that food at the most inappropiate meal I can think of, such as spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast for the rest of your life.

steveh
03-26-2008, 07:59 AM
"What is your favorite beer?"

Most often, the one in my hand.

I have favorite styles, but trying to narrow down which of the brands serving the style are "favorite" is impossible.

S.

TBIM
03-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, I would say it would have to be from Paulaner.

steveh
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
How many other brands have you tried? Because the majority of Munich would trump you and say they like Augustiner better (not that they wouldn't drink a Paulaner).

There's a small brew pub outside Munich called the Forschüngsbrauerei, literally translated as experimental brewery. They opened in the late '20s as just that, a place to experiment with new recipes and ingredients. They opened their doors to customers and started serving food too -- it's a wonderful, magical little spot tucked away from the big city. I can almost guarantee you'd think their beer was head and shoulders better than Paulaner.

S.

TBIM
03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
How many other brands have you tried? Because the majority of Munich would trump you and say they like Augustiner better (not that they wouldn't drink a Paulaner).

There's a small brew pub outside Munich called the Forschüngsbrauerei, literally translated as experimental brewery. They opened in the late '20s as just that, a place to experiment with new recipes and ingredients. They opened their doors to customers and started serving food too -- it's a wonderful, magical little spot tucked away from the big city. I can almost guarantee you'd think their beer was head and shoulders better than Paulaner.

S.
I've tried many, but that one comes to mind. I would love to try some of the others, but in my area, I don't have access to them. This place you mentioned sounds great! One day I would love to go to Europe on a beer trip!

steveh
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
One day I would love to go to Europe on a beer trip!

Then you'll understand why there's no way we could ever pick a favorite...

http://www.forschungsbrauerei.de/english.html

S.

MeridianFC
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I love Paulaner but I can think of a dozen better breweries in two seconds without taxing my feeble brain.

Insidious Rex
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I think he just wants you guys to name them :p

beerking
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
If I had to name one, and considering we are talking the Munich area, I'd name Andechs. Couldn't narrow it to one beer, but one brewery in a region works.

beerking
03-26-2008, 07:55 PM

I have favorite styles, but trying to narrow down which of the brands serving the style are "favorite" is impossible.

S.

For me, favorite will always depend on what time of year, what time of day, what is the weather, what am I eating, and where am I. All of that impacts what beer I want at a given time.

chazwicke
03-26-2008, 09:41 PM
For me, favorite will always depend on what time of year, what time of day, what is the weather, what am I eating, and where am I. All of that impacts what beer I want at a given time.

Exactly. It's much like picking a favorite song. Depends on many factors.

steveh
03-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I think he just wants you guys to name them :p

No, what he asked was,
"What do you think is the best German beer?"

Not exactly asking for favorites, sort of asking to be direct -- which we're saying is impossible given so many good beers in Germany.
Kind of like asking, What's the best U.S. microbrewery? Don't care to tackle that one either.

S.

steveh
03-27-2008, 07:21 AM

I think I pretty much said that above:

S.

dparsons
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
What is best is all of the good ones.

TBIM
03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess I should have asked the question in a different way. But it would be nice to know what your favorite German beer is.

MeridianFC
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
A few off the top of my head outside of the big names:

Andechser Dunkel
Andechser Bergbock Hell
Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel
Andechser Spezial Hell
Schneider Weiss
Schneider Aventinus
Gaffel Kolsch
Ayinger Altbairische Dunkel
Ayinger Jahrhundert
Ayinger Festbier
Augustiner Lagerbier Hell
Augustiner Dunkel
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest (same company as Paulaner now)
St. Georgenbraeu Kellerbier
Aktienbrauerei Kaufbeuren Hell
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Maerzen
Einbecker Ur-Bock
Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel
Einbecker Mai-Ur-Bock
Einbecker Dunkel
Kuppers Kolsch
Diebels Alt
Uerige Alt
Jever Pils
Schultheiss Berliner Weiss
Scherlinger Roggen

steveh
03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
What he said.

Nice way to illustrate the bigger point, Merid.

S.

MeridianFC
03-28-2008, 12:10 PM
With over 1,000 breweries of which at least 800 are high quality it's really hard to pick. You could certainly break things down by style but that's still a lot. Maybe take out all the variations on Pils (a mistake I would say even though the market is dominated by it) and you'd still have an unwieldy list. I tend to drink whatever is local when in Germany and do the best with some of the "smaller" brands over here, notbaly Ayinger, Aketienbrauerei Kaufbeuren (when I can find it), Einbecker, etc.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of brews we can't get here and a few that we can that just aren't handled well, which has been my experience with bottled Allgauer, Klosterbraurei Weltenburger, etc.

If you want me to suggest one that you could probably go out and get tonight, depending on where you live, that really screams "GERMAN BIER!" I'd say go get an Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel.

Stahlsturm
03-29-2008, 05:15 AM
What do you think is the best German beer?

Always the one I'm having right now :)

Stahlsturm
03-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Scherlinger Roggen

That was good stuff... Too bad it doesn't exist anymore. If you liked that one you will commit murder, sell your kidneys and sacrifice your first born for the Emmer Bier by the BRAUHAUS RIEDENBURG. If you ever come here, do NOT miss that one.

And other than that, your list mostly is big breweries :D I know it's all a matter of perspective.

MeridianFC
03-29-2008, 10:15 AM
That was good stuff... Too bad it doesn't exist anymore. If you liked that one you will commit murder, sell your kidneys and sacrifice your first born for the Emmer Bier by the BRAUHAUS RIEDENBURG. If you ever come here, do NOT miss that one.

And other than that, your list mostly is big breweries :D I know it's all a matter of perspective.

I wanted to list beers that the original poster might have a chance of sampling.

Beerbilly
03-30-2008, 08:47 AM
There isn't a product that Ayinger makes that I don't love. I am also fond of Flensbeger Dunkel. I buy a case and resuse the bottles to boot.:)

Prost Toastie
03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Actually, any of the many wonderful beers from Bayern (Bavaria) are world-class, for sure.

During two-plus memorable years there I can't recall ever tasting a bad one. The most delightful surprise was discovering that the fest season starts right after Lent, and runs throughout the Spring and Summer months, until the grand finale, OktoberFest, in Muchen (Munich) in late September.

If you've never been to one, make it a pilgrimage of sorts, to seek out the local village fests through Bayern, where the beer, food, music and entertainment are generally better, and far less expensive, than the over-commercialized OktoberFest in Muchen. One of the absolute best is in a place called Pang, where the locals serve the food and the fest band is one of the absolute bests!

Two of my favs were Ayingerbrau, from the little village of Aying, south of Muchen, and Auerbrau, from Rosenheim, further south, about half way between Muchen and Salzburg, Austria.

steveh
03-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Auerbrau, from Rosenheim, further south, about half way between Muchen and Salzburg, Austria.

Is Auerbrau a brew-pub, just outside Berchtesgaden near Bad Reichenhall?

Some friends and I had dinner at a particularly nice, small brewery right in that area when we were staying in Berchtesgaden (circa 1999), fond memories of an enjoyable evening.

S.

chazwicke
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
near Bad Reichenhall?

S.

I spent a few days in Bad Reichenhall years ago. I think were were drinking beers from Unser brewery. Namely Suffikator.

zauber1
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I have to choose a favorite but not necassarily a BEST. I love the beers of the northern area from the Fictelgebirge to the easternmost reach of the Upper Franconia. There are a few small breweries that serve just their town or maybe a few gasthauses. Klosterbrau in Kemnath is one of the best and almost anything produced in Bayreuth is good. That would be mostly the Maisel Brothers Brewery.

Favorite style: light Hefeweizen in the summer and a Munchener style helles during the fall and the winter.

Stahlsturm
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I wanted to list beers that the original poster might have a chance of sampling.

I know, I'm just teasing you :)

chazwicke
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Bayreuth is good. That would be mostly the Maisel Brothers Brewery.

Been there. In Franconia I'd perefer Bamberg

zauber1
04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
There isn't a product that Ayinger makes that I don't love. I am also fond of Flensbeger Dunkel. I buy a case and resuse the bottles to boot.:)
Both of those beers are indeed excellent. But WOW, what two divergent styles. Every Flensburg beer I ever had ended with a dry almost puckery note. It was good, but it just made me want another one immediately. I wonder if that was intentional?

Ayinger's product is so well marketed in my area (Dallas, TX) that I just have to try one of each every time I go to the refrigerator case in the store. The place where I shop has a "build your own six pack" feature.

beerking
04-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Bayreuth is good. That would be mostly the Maisel Brothers Brewery.

Been there. In Franconia I'd perefer Bamberg

Me too. Maisels makes great beer, but if I had to choose, I'd be at Schlenkerla.