PDA

View Full Version : Tag des Bieres in Regensburg

Stahlsturm
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I found out today that it'll be on April 19th.

Stahlsturm
04-16-2008, 02:37 AM
The forecast for the 19th is pretty good.

So, who's coming ?

chazwicke
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I wish! Have some for the rest of us poor schlubs....

steveh
04-17-2008, 08:22 AM
lalalalalala (fingers in my ears, trying to ignore the obvious great fun that this fest will be, always is) lalalalalalalalalalala

S.

Stahlsturm
04-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Prösselbräu Adlersberg
Brauerei Goss Deuerling
Spitalbrauerei Regensburg
Spezialbrauerei Schierling
Brauerei Kneitinger Regensburg
Brauerei Mayringer Moosham
Brauerei Plank Laaber
Brauerei Bischhofshof Regensburg
Schlossbrauerei Eichhofen

Read 'em and weep :D

On, and not to mention that with the
Brauhaus Thurn Und Taxis and the
Regensburger Weissbräuhaus
there are two additional brewpubs in stumbling distance.

steveh
04-18-2008, 08:19 AM
LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA...

>snif< :(

I'm gonna have to find some good German beers to drink in absentia with you Stahl.

S.

steveh
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Regensburger Weissbräuhaus

...but, if I recall correctly, you don't like Weizen -- so you have to cross that one off the list! :D

S.

Stahlsturm
04-21-2008, 02:09 AM
...but, if I recall correctly, you don't like Weizen -- so you have to cross that one off the list! :D

S.

They are just called that, they brew a Dunkel and a Hell besides the Weizen.

Stahlsturm
04-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Unfortunately our Tag Des Bieres adventure was pissed on by the gods of sobriety so we "only" stayed for about 5 hours and 6 beers. We had

1x Goss M&#228;rzen
1x Mayringer Zwickel Hell
1x Bischhofshof Freibier
1x Pr&#246;sselbr&#228;u Hell
1x Eichofener Hell
1x Kneitinger Pils

We also met the Bierk&#246;nigin (Beer Queen) and she didn't drink any beer. I think they should've nominated my sweet wife as Beer Queen, she matched my beer one by one and deserves the title much more. I mean, what kind of Bier K&#246;nigin is that, clutching an umbrella instead of a tankard ?? :D

steveh
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM
they brew a Dunkel and a Hell besides the Weizen.

I figured as much, but I have to give you some grief! ;)

Freibier? Was ist?

S.

MeridianFC
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately our Tag Des Bieres adventure was pissed on by the gods of sobriety so we "only" stayed for about 5 hours and 6 beers.

Well that's hardly drinking at all now is it.

Stahlsturm
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I figured as much, but I have to give you some grief! ;)

Freibier? Was ist?

S.

Hehehehe.

"Freibier" is free beer. A donation by the brewery so to speak. Traditionally at such fests, the first 50 Liter keg is poured free of charge to whoever shows up first.

Truth be told, I don't know what exactly it was. Compared to their regular brews it tasted somewhat "detached". It was a Hell and a Lager, that much I'm certain about but the taste was somewhat odd. First it tasted somewhat slick (or soapy as my wife puts it) like many Hell Lagers from Niederbayern do, then it got that full mouthed malty taste next and it finished off with a hoppy bite. 3 rather different tastes in one sip, I found that very unbalanced. Personally I thought that maybe the keg should've stayed in "Lager" some more before pouring it.

Stahlsturm
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Well that's hardly drinking at all now is it.

Yeah, I know, it's rather pathetic. But we were freezing considerably. And it's not that these breweries wuldn't be in close proximity anyways :D

steveh
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Traditionally at such fests, the first 50 Liter keg is poured free of charge to whoever shows up first.

SWEET!

I knew the direct translation, but wasn't sure that was the true use here. Too bad it wasn't a better beer.

S.

zauber1
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Was any of this beer served from wooden casks?

Stahlsturm
04-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Was any of this beer served from wooden casks?

The Freibier was. All the other came from tanks.

zauber1
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Beer in the wood is becoming a dying art form. It is good to see that some are keeping the tradition alive. I wish that I could have been there, too.

chazwicke
04-23-2008, 10:21 AM
There is actually quite a lot of beers being aged in wood barrels these days. It has been a trend for the last several years. Be it wine or whisky barrels. However That is different than what your are referring to and I understand as I am a member of the Chesapeake chapter of SPBW. The Society for Preservation of Beer from Wood, an organization founded in 1963 well before CAMRA which I also am a member of.

steveh
04-23-2008, 12:50 PM
There is actually quite a lot of beers being aged in wood barrels these days.

It's not an "aging" thing we're talking here Chaz, more of a traditional lagering to serving method. I remember my last couple visits to Munich and Bamberg where I saw many of the beers served via gravity from wooden casks. Sadly, sounds like that's going away.

S.

chazwicke
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah I know. Just pointing out the difference. I too have enjoyed brew fom wood in Germany. I also had Schlenkera from a wooden barrel at GBBF several years ago. I've had beer from small wooden firkins at a few brew pubs and tastings too.

steveh
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I also had Schlenkera from a wooden barrel at GBBF several years ago.

You didn't have it on premises? That little guy, propped in the pass-through from kitchen to dining room? Aaahhh -- Bamberg.

S.

chazwicke
04-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, but I was surprised to see it at GBBF. They have a bar of foreign brews at GBBF Foreign to England that is. They have beer from many countries including the USA. I drank the schlenkerla there and a Lion Stout with Richard. I believe I might have a picture of the schlenkerla keg at home. I'll try to look tonight.

munich1
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
What size glasses/mugs do the serve the beer in at the Tag des Bieres?

Stahlsturm
04-24-2008, 03:12 AM
What size glasses/mugs do the serve the beer in at the Tag des Bieres?

0.5 Liter glasses.

steveh
04-24-2008, 08:32 AM
0.5 Liter glasses.

Plenty for sampling. :)

S.

chazwicke
04-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Here is a picture from GBBF of beer from wood

Stahlsturm
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Plenty for sampling. :)

S.

Well, it's enough to get a taste but it doesn't really quench your thirst.

steveh
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Well, it's enough to get a taste but it doesn't really quench your thirst.

Hah.

That's why the fest goes all day, right?

S.