PDA

View Full Version : Berlin Breweries

patra7
12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
I will be traveling in Berlin on May 2004, for 1 week. Do you have any suggestions concerning beer places / local brands etc? Especially breweries (which we could visit) or beer pubs. Thanks in advance.

chris_o
01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Its a few years since I have been to Berlin, so my info may be a bit out of date, but, at least it provides a starting point.

The local speciality is Berliner Weisse. There are two main breweries producing this - Kindl and Schultheiss. Both are quite widely available and the Schultheiss is generally reckoned to be better . There is another brewery called Berliner Burger which has a brewery tap.

There were a couple of brewpubs - Georgbrau and Luisen-Brau and another one on Kurfurstendamm (the main drag in the former West Berlin), but I can't remember its name. I understand there is now one in Potsdamer Platz, but I haven't been to it and don't know the name. You should be able track down more information using Google.

I don't remember any particularly recommended bars.

Hope this is some help.

patra7
02-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Thanks for your reply. Here is a very useful link that I found on the subject:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/berlbrew.htm#breweries

chris_o
02-03-2004, 03:51 PM
That is an excellent site. Funnily enough, I remember coming across it when I was planning for a visit to Antwerp. but didn't realise it covered pretty much the whole of mainland Europe.

Stahlsturm
08-27-2004, 05:07 AM
Berlin is infested by trend beer... Not a good place for real german brew at all.