PDA

View Full Version : German spa towns and beer

corkybstewart
01-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm looking for a German town with a nice thermal spa and good beer, maybe somewhere in the north around Leipzig. My wife loved the spa at Bad Worishofen and I loved the beer so we're looking for another place like that in the north to spend a couple of days this summer.

Stahlsturm
01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't think there are hot springs anywhere around Leipzig.

Stahlsturm
01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Here's a list of all German spas. It's in German and only there it is complete. I checked the English version and half of the towns are missing there. You should be able to cross reference this with a brewery list:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Kurorte_in_Deutschland

Good luck with your monsterous task :D

corkybstewart
01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
When I started this thread I had no idea how many spa town there are in Germany-probably hundreds. Now I have to narrow them down by area. BTW there are several nice Bads near Leipzig. Thanks for the list Stahlstrum, I have a month or 3 to work on it.
I found this site with a map, but most of the towns have web pages in German.
http://www.visiteuropeanspas.com/germany/

Jaimez
01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Wow i'm jealous. I've always said if i ever got to Europe it would be Germany. Ever been to Oktoberfest?

Stahlsturm
01-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the list Stahlstrum

You're welcome :)

Stahlsturm
01-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Wow i'm jealous. I've always said if i ever got to Europe it would be Germany. Ever been to Oktoberfest?

Once. Never again. I don't like huge crowds to begin with and then the guy next to us shit himself and puked all over the table. I sort of had it at this point.

corkybstewart
01-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Once. Never again. I don't like huge crowds to begin with and then the guy next to us shit himself and puked all over the table. I sort of had it at this point.
My wife and I feel exactly the same way. We're a lot more comfortable in small towns off the beaten path where the chances of running into another American tourist are slim. We've traveled around Europe like that for years and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Get away from the tourist areas and events like Oktoberfest and you'll actually meet and talk to local residents. It's the best way to find the gems that your average tourist will never even know exists.

corkybstewart
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Bad Munstereifel-just south of Koln(Cologne) is looking like the place. I've got reservations for 2 nights at the end of our trip. There may or may not be a brewery in the town but being within a half hour of Koln(home of Kolsch beers)I think we can find something to drink.

beerking
01-26-2010, 07:35 PM

I have been told that every beer lover should go once...for only one day, and then get out into the country to one of the other fests that don't have so many idiot Americans.

corkybstewart
01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
One brewery/hotel owner I talked to on our last trip was amazed to have a non-military American staying at his place-that's the kind of place I like visiting.

Stahlsturm
01-29-2010, 03:57 AM
My wife and I feel exactly the same way. We're a lot more comfortable in small towns off the beaten path where the chances of running into another American tourist are slim. We've traveled around Europe like that for years and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Get away from the tourist areas and events like Oktoberfest and you'll actually meet and talk to local residents. It's the best way to find the gems that your average tourist will never even know exists.

There are not enough people thinking like you. Every time someone asks about where to go in southern Germany there's a horde of voices yelling Oktoberfest. I have given up speaking against that but I confess it annoys me to the point where I simply have to close my browser and abstain from clicking on that forum for a week...

Stahlsturm
01-29-2010, 03:59 AM
I have been told that every beer lover should go once...for only one day, and then get out into the country to one of the other fests that don't have so many idiot Americans.

Why waste that day ? I mean, it's promoted as Munich breweries but only 2 of them even are Munich breweries, the rest of them are just the result of giant brewing conglomerates cashing in on tourist ignorance.

If you want to experience Bavaria, stay the Hell away from Nürnberg and München.