PDA

View Full Version : Mild Beer Making A Comeback After 50 Years

animal
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Mild Beer Makes Its Comeback After 50 Years (http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2010-05-03/Mild-Beer-Makes-Its-Comeback-After-50-Years/?&utm_source=mild+beer&utm_medium=fb+post&utm_content=&utm_campaign=articles)

By Jim Cohen | May 3, 2010 | 1 Comments

Mild Beer was once considered an endangered type of brew. In fact, you may be asking yourself ? what the hell is Mild Beer? Mild Beer is an ale that has been around for many centuries; it was originated in Britain in the 1600s or earlier. The modern Mild Beer is generally dark colored with an ABV of 3% - 3.6% (however, lighter ones can be found and some can be up to 6% ABV).

The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) surveyed 500 real ale drinkers and found that 64% had seen an increase in mild beers at UK pubs over the past five years. The mild beer was overtaken in the UK by bitter and lager styles in the 1960?s and hasn?t seen a rise in their consumption till now.

"There's a real opportunity for the Mild to return to its former glory, when in the 1950's it was the nation's most popular beer style," said Duncan Woodhead of CAMRA. He continued, ?This new research really reinforces the fact that today's discerning drinkers are helping to bring back traditional beer styles such as mild into pubs.?

CAMRA has launched a campaign for ?Mild May? based on their findings.

The top three most popular mild beers in the survey by CAMRA were Rudgate brewery's (of Tockwith, York, North Yorkshire) Ruby Mild, Sarah Hughes brewery's (of Sedgley, Dudley, West Midlands) Dark Ruby, and West Berkshire brewery's (of Yattendon, Berkshire) Maggs' Magnificent Mild.

We don?t seem to have a similar variety in the U.S. However, this makes it a pretty good excuse to fly over to Europe and explore some of their beers.
________
Vaporizer Affiliate Programs (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

fretlessman71
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
This is great news. I'd drink more beer if there were more milds available that I liked around here.

wortchillergoal
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
The Brooklyn Summer Ale is a rendition of the old English style Dinner Ale. It is 4.5% and I enjoy it very much. One of my crowd pleasing home brews is a light ale I do that I shot for and ABV right around 4% give or take a little.

Mikegobrew
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a Mild on my "to brew" list. After reading the article I think I may bump it up to be next. :)

Just have to come up with the recipe...