PDA

View Full Version : Good offy?

MeridianFC
02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
I have some friends coming over from Londinium in a couple of months. They're going to be staying with me and have offered to pick up some bevvy (how did they know?). Can anyone recommend a good off license in London (preferably southern or central) with a full selection of UK beers?

If you've seen Cairngorm or Hambleton beers in any shops let me know.

One of my compatriots sent me onlyfinebeer.co.uk for one bit of selection.

Thanks in advance.

K.

chris_o
02-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't know whether it is obvious from the websie, but Only Fine Beer is the online arm of a shop called Bottles, which is (or was) at 349 Commercial Road, E1 (in the east end of London). Only thing is, they are shutting that shop and moving the retail outlet out of London and I don't know whether it is still open.

Two other possibilities are
The Pitfield Beer Shop is arguably the most famous beer shop in town and in the Old Street area of the city
http://www.pitfieldbeershop.co.uk/index.html

And, if your friends can shop on a Friday or Saturday
UtoBeer, which has a stall on Borough Market, which is south/central
http://www.utobeer.co.uk/index.html

Don't pay too much attention to the lists shown on their websites as the range tends to change according to availability.

MeridianFC
02-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info Chris. I'll pass it on to my friends.

stronk
03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
For the benefit of American visitors, the best places in London (in my experience) to buy beer are:

The Pitfield Beer shop (as above); only a block away from the Old St. tube station and a few blocks away from the Wenlock Arms (www.wenlock-arms.co.uk).

Oddbins (selection varies, but is never brilliant, as with most of the off-licenses).

Waitrose, Safeway, Asda, Tesco supermarkets. These all have sections of english beers (most, unfortunately, not bottle-conditioned). Between them, they offer the best choice of English beers you'll be able to find in London. Avoid Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer's (the latter like the plague, it only sells own-brand products).

If you're going to be in England for a while, with a delivery address, then you should get yourself an order from www.beersofeurope.co.uk : based in Norfolk, but 6.75 delivery for any weight anywhere in England.