PDA

View Full Version : daytona beach

sallad
05-10-2004, 03:09 PM
i'll heading to daytona beach for a few days.. where do they keep the good beer down there?

marksalehouse
05-10-2004, 04:29 PM
At my sister's house in edgewater - but she is keeping it for me coming over ;)

Mark

sallad
06-07-2004, 01:26 PM
beer in florida...

not many breweries around, so not much of a micro selection. there are some good imports here and there.

i found a good place in west palm called Paradise that had around 20-30 taps of mostly good stuff including dogfish's raison d'etre and the one and only local brew i found in the state - Native Lager. and native lager was rather good, crisp and refreshing with a lovely malt backbone that is balanced nicely with hops while still leaning towards malt. finishes with a mild noble hop flavor. a nice brew indeed!

in daytona, didn't have any luck at all with micros. found someplace called berncassel festhaus or something like that, that had a bunch of imports, mostly from germany i think. some from belgium, england, etc. other than that, most places carried sam adams and yuengling... nothing special. all the imports i can get at home, so i was unimpressed.

both west palm and daytona had hops brew pubs. i stopped at the one in daytona.. they have to brew same recipes at all of their locations i think.. the standards were decent - an amber ale with nice chocolate/dark carmel notes with some citrus hops, a mild lager with nice noble hop finish, and a porter that was fairly good too. their seasonal was -- *gag* -- a low carb ale... didn't try it.

all in all, its good to be back home! hit up the druid's keep last night for a pint of draft 60min IPA that had some hop specks floating in it. (i doubt there is anyone in all of daytona who would know a hops cone if they were chocking on one...)

chazwicke
06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Check out South Beach next January / February. The FAB fest brings in cask ales and also attracts most Fla. brewers.