PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Porters

YamahaXS
08-17-2004, 12:03 PM
There were quite a few of these at the midwest beer festival...

Personally, TOO much bourbon flavor and not enough beer. High alcohol was not that pleasant either.

newportstorm
08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Barrel-aging beers has become popular. From Porters to Impy Stouts. From Barleywines to Trippels. Some work, some don't. Some just need a little time to age and mellow. But all are subject to personal opinion.

When I attended the CT Real Ale Fest, I loved the Magic Hat Thumbsucker Imperial Stout (2004 edition aged in Wild Turkey barrels for 36 months). I thought it was outstanding - albeit a little "hot" from the whiskey aging, but smooth, chocolatey with hints of vanilla and mint. Others trashed it and called it overpriced gimmickry. To each their own.

BTW, were there any good barrel aged beers (Porters or other style) at the fest?

Cheers!

YamahaXS
08-17-2004, 02:07 PM
well, i am not a fan of porters/stouts to begin with... i much rather prefer pale ales and that ilk, but there were some barrel aged beers that my friends seemed to really enjoy. I think that given time in a keg or bottle many of the bourbon barrel aged porters/stouts that I tried will smooth out nicely, but until then I think I will stick with imperial IPAs when i get that wild hair for something big.

My notes were spotty, but a few notables that I enjoyed were:

An Imperial Red by Brass (is there such a thing?)

This was a great beer IMO, balanced with malt and hops, with a flavor profile that massaged all of the tounge. I supposed they called it an Imperial, because was about 7%, though that by itself isn't really enough. The brewer was there, but seemed irritated by my questions, and possibly I was drunk enough to justify his irritation. Regardless, I kept going back for another taste, and was always very happy with this beer.

The best stout I had was an Oompa Loompa Chocolate stout. This stout had some maltiness to it that gave its chocolate flavors considerable depth. Smooth, thick, and very enjoyable. I would be happy to brew 5 gallons of a stout like this one.

Anyways, there were lots of barley wines, lots of imperial stouts, barreled aged or otherwise, and lots of imperial indian pale ales. Towards the end of the day, I was appreciating the pales and kolsches more and more. :D

newportstorm
08-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I got a taste of the Allagash Barrel Aged Trippel at a beer fest in Boston last spring - superb. Not your typical Trippel - hints of vanilla and coconut (just as the reviewer states). Very tasty stuff - more should be forthcoming from Allagash soon:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/4/16909/

Cheers!

Beaver
08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by YamahaXS
well, i am not a fan of porters/stouts to begin with... i much rather prefer pale ales and that ilk, but there were some barrel aged beers that my friends seemed to really enjoy. I think that given time in a keg or bottle many of the bourbon barrel aged porters/stouts that I tried will smooth out nicely, but until then I think I will stick with imperial IPAs when i get that wild hair for something big.

My notes were spotty, but a few notables that I enjoyed were:

An Imperial Red by Brass (is there such a thing?)

This was a great beer IMO, balanced with malt and hops, with a flavor profile that massaged all of the tounge. I supposed they called it an Imperial, because was about 7%, though that by itself isn't really enough. The brewer was there, but seemed irritated by my questions, and possibly I was drunk enough to justify his irritation. Regardless, I kept going back for another taste, and was always very happy with this beer.

The best stout I had was an Oompa Loompa Chocolate stout. This stout had some maltiness to it that gave its chocolate flavors considerable depth. Smooth, thick, and very enjoyable. I would be happy to brew 5 gallons of a stout like this one.

Anyways, there were lots of barley wines, lots of imperial stouts, barreled aged or otherwise, and lots of imperial indian pale ales. Towards the end of the day, I was appreciating the pales and kolsches more and more. :D

Very cool pic!

fretlessman71
08-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Yamaha, you need to play some photoshop games with that pic - get the hand out of the way somehow so it looks like a glass of beer sunrise!

[Little Orphan Annie voice]The sun'll come out..... tomorrow....[/Little Orphan Annie voice]

chazwicke
08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I liked the pict as well. I have a picture of a Schlenkerla sitting on the table with the sun glinting through it from one morning at the brewery. I'll have to dig it out. That was the single most perfect beer I have ever had. All the conditions were exactly right. It was over a decade ago.

fretlessman71
08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
So you're saying it's all downhill from there? :(

chazwicke
08-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Old Dominion brewing has an Oak Barrel Stout that is decent. I'm not a huge fan of stouts either but that one was very good on a chilly evening around the campfire. Old Dominion recently came out with it's Millenium aged similiarly. Extremely limited but has gotten excellent reviews. It cost me $100.00 for the case. only 250 cases were brewed. I sent one to Steveh for him to post tasting notes on in the future. (It's too hot for this type of beer right now. ) I Think he posted notes on the Oak Barrel Stout in a previous tasting notes thread and there is a thread on the Millenium entiled Hurry to Old Dominion or something like that under the Mid Atlantic category.

chazwicke
08-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by fretlessman71
So you're saying it's all downhill from there? :(

Never quite reached that pinnacle again but have come close. Think GBBF.

fretlessman71
08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey... how long would a cask ale last in a growler? There's a brewpub in town that sometimes has stuff like that, but I like to do my drinking at home usually...

chazwicke
08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
A few places that have casks here won't sell them in growlers. Well, depends on who is bartending...:D

fretlessman71
08-30-2004, 11:15 AM
What's their reason for not selling cask in growlers?

When you DO get one in a growler (sounds like you've been able to swing it), do you realize what the reasoning was for the others not wanting to do it and agree/disagree? (Or maybe you drink it too fast for it to be an issue.... :D )

chazwicke
08-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I think it is an issue with lower carbonation and also freshness since it's a living thing. I usually drink it pretty quick. But I have been told at more than one place that they are not allowed to sell the cask in growlers. Maybe just because it is a limited commodity and the need more for the pubs? Not sure why.

BluesHarp
11-29-2004, 09:28 PM
I LOVE Bourbon cask beers...stouts, porters, etc.

Tyranena makes a great Boubon cask brown ale - "Rocky's Revenge"...very good sweet brown ale on it's own, with just the right amount of bourbon flavor as not to be overpowering.

I like them so much I made my own!