PDA

View Full Version : I´m hosting 2 australians right now

Stahlsturm
09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
and yesterday me and me sweet wifey were on a beer tour with them. We visited Marienthal and had "Stockenfelser Geisterbräu", a very yummy dark beer brewed by Brauhaus Nittenau. Marienthal is a very nice beergarden in the valley of the river Regen about 25 km (what´s that, 15 miles ?) straight to the north from Regensburg.

Stockenfels is a castle ruin just across the river where they used to imprison and execute those who were found guilty of watering their beer. "Bierpantschen" was a capital offense in Bavaria until about 200 years ago. The castle is said to be haunted now by the ghosts of the convicted who must endlessly climb up and down the hill with buckets of water to atone for their sin.

And at night we raided the Plank brewery in Laaber (25 km to the west of Regensburg in the valley of the "Schwarze Laaber") for some more excellent brew. We actually took a case of that home and I had a few more before I went to bed yesterday. Getting up at 6 am to go to work wasn´t easy today, hehehe.

Today my wife is giving them the city tour (www.regensburg.de) and at 4 when I get out of work we´ll go out to Adlersberg for dinner and their famous dark beer. I´m looking forward to that already. *slurp*

chazwicke
09-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a fun day. Just wait until you get a housefull of Realbeer.com posters. You'll have to take a week off!

Stahlsturm
09-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by chazwicke
Sounds like a fun day. Just wait until you get a housefull of Realbeer.com posters. You'll have to take a week off!

I´m not sure a week would be enough to get to all the important places.

hideouse
09-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Stahlsturm, tell us the story of the bridge and the cathedral,
Europe's oldest fast food stand, The sign of the devil in the water just downstream of the bridge,,,

Stahlsturm
09-20-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by hideouse
Stahlsturm, tell us the story of the bridge and the cathedral,
Europe's oldest fast food stand, The sign of the devil in the water just downstream of the bridge,,,

Hehehe. Have you been to Regensburg ? Or did you pull all that off the cities website ?

hideouse
09-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Stahlsturm, the same freind of a friend who got me the tour of braurerai Jacob took us around Regensburg.
If a "regensmantel " is a raincoat, is "regensburg" the same as "rain city"?

Stahlsturm
09-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by hideouse
Stahlsturm, the same freind of a friend who got me the tour of braurerai Jacob took us around Regensburg.
If a "regensmantel " is a raincoat, is "regensburg" the same as "rain city"?

"Regenmantel" is a raincoat, yes. "Regensburg" comes from a different source though. Regensburg is located where the "Regen" flows into the "Donau". Both river names go back to roman names and so does the name of the city. It started it´s recorded history 2000 years ago as "Castra Regina", Castle at the Regina. Regina mutated into Regen over the millenia and "burg" is simply the german word for the latin "castra". Voila, you have "Regensburg".