View Full Version : Für unser Freund Sturm

steveh
09-21-2004, 08:05 AM
http://www.bayerisch-bier.de/

Prosit!

S.

Stahlsturm
09-21-2004, 08:41 AM
I know that page (of course) but I think it´s very clumsy to manouver. You can´t search by regions for instance, if you don´t know the exact location of a brewery you won´t find it which kinda defeats the purpose.

And I found out that a lot of the very small breweries are not even member of the Bayrische Brauerbund so they never show up.

I´m currently toying with the idea of putting up my own guide of eastern bavarian breweries. It´ll probably stay an idea though, putting up and maintaining a site is too much work when you already have two fulltime jobs... If you (plural "you" here) ever come to eastern Bavaria (Oberpfalz and Niederbayern) you´re welcome to check back with me though :-)

chazwicke
09-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Would be really cool for you to post an accurate listing. I know it would entail a huge effort but many, many people would benefit. In the USA we have some brewpub locater sights that are horribly out of date.

MeridianFC
09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I know I'll be down your way in 2006 for the Weltmeisterschaft.

Stahlsturm
09-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by chazwicke
Would be really cool for you to post an accurate listing. I know it would entail a huge effort but many, many people would benefit. In the USA we have some brewpub locater sights that are horribly out of date.

Well, the bigger the area you try to cover, the more you depend on other people to feed you info. And the further away something is, the harder it is to verify such info. I do have a complete list of breweries and brewpubs with addresses and phonenumbers in a (roughly) 30 mile circle around Regensburg.

That one could be extended of course to cover the area of eastern Bavaria but I hardly ever got down to Passau or up to Weiden so I couldn´t vouch for places there. Another problem is that not even half of the breweries I´ve found actually have websites or e-mail so it´s costly not only in time...

If anyone is interested in the list I have I´ll be happy to share of course :-)

Stahlsturm
09-22-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by MeridianFC
I know I'll be down your way in 2006 for the Weltmeisterschaft.

As far as I know the only games in Bayern are in München and Nürnberg. Regensburg is about an hour driving from either. Will you have days off ?

Stahlsturm
09-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Stahlsturm
eastern Bavaria (Oberpfalz and Niederbayern)

For those wondering I dug up a few helpful links. To see which region of Bayern I´m talking about click here:
www.tourismus-bayern.com/

For further detail on the Oberpfalz here:
www.tourismus-bayern.com/oberpfalz/haupt1.htm ,for further detail on Niederbayern here: www.tourismus-bayern.com/niederbayern/haupt1.htm

Here´s another neat page www.ostbayern-tourismus.de

TravelBavaria
09-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Would be happy to help you out with a list from OberBayern.

Ich nehme an daß du Deutscher bist.

Servus.

chazwicke
09-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Ah, another new German member. Willkommen, weir begrussen dir.

My german is very poor.

TravelBavaria
09-22-2004, 09:48 AM
No problem.

Please let me know if you have questions about Bavaria.

chazwicke
09-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Have either of you been to Church of the Vierzehnheiligen? I was there once early one morning and had beer for breakfast from the brewery next door to the church. It was wonderful and the church was spectacular. I particularly liked the statue of St. Denis holding his severed head in his hands and the grissled bone sticking out from his neck. Quite gruesome. Do you know the brewery and have you visited this place?

steveh
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by TravelBavaria
Please let me know if you have questions about Bavaria.

Any chance there's a severe shortage of smart-ass, (German)beer-loving illustrators who speak little to no German in Bavaria? ;)

S.

Noch einmal Spaten bitte!

TravelBavaria
09-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Are you referring to Vierzehnheiligen in Oberfranken near Bamberg?

Try this:

Alte Klosterbrauerei
Vierzehnheiligen 6
96231 Vierzehnheiligen
Since 1803 Vollbier, Pilsener, Dunkel
A secularly owned brewery on the grounds of a monastery. Also known as Brauerei Trunk (after the family name)

MeridianFC
09-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Stahlsturm
As far as I know the only games in Bayern are in München and Nürnberg. Regensburg is about an hour driving from either. Will you have days off ?

I was planning to base myself in Munich, an obvious choice really, but travel around depending on the actual schedule. I'm sure I'll spend some time in Regensburg and environs. As I mentioned I was there about 5 years ago and am looking to get back.

BTW I'd love to see your brewery list with some of your comments.

BTW if you're interested in trading some beers let me know.

K.

chazwicke
09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Are you referring to Vierzehnheiligen in Oberfranken near Bamberg?

Try this:

Alte Klosterbrauerei
Vierzehnheiligen 6
96231 Vierzehnheiligen
Since 1803 Vollbier, Pilsener, Dunkel
A secularly owned brewery on the grounds of a monastery. Also known as Brauerei Trunk (after the family name)

Yes! That is the place!

We had to sleep in the car one night as there was no zimmer available. We woke up very early and visited the church. The monks were holding a service and it was beautiful. We smelled the brewery and stopped in. They gave us free beers which we had for breakfast. I have old pictures from that trip somewhere. What a beautiful place. Way out in the countryside with no real town.

Stahlsturm
09-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Ich nehme an daß du Deutscher bist.
Servus.

Yep, native bavarian here :D