PDA

View Full Version : Trip to North Carolina...sort of!?!?

wedgeseven
10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
My girlfriend is going to visit her brother around christmas time in Fayetteville, NC, and I am working on her to bring me back some goodies. I was wondering if anyone knew of and local brew pubs or great east coast specific beers that are a must try.

threecb
10-29-2004, 07:38 AM
I've heard decent things about the Mash House in Fayetteville. They also bottle their IPA, I think.

A good NC brewery to seek out in the stores is Highland. Pretty much anything in the lineup. When I was down there a couple of weeks ago I was diggin' the Gaelic Ale.

Others that you might find on tap: Cottonwood, Catawba and French Broad River (I had the pils, which was pretty good).

NC is still a "under 6%" state, so you're not gonna find any big beers there.

Seymour
10-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Ditto on the Highland. That Gaelic ale is delicious. My in-laws used to live in Asheville. Why on earth did they move!?

sallad
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
i had a sweet water pale ale that was damn good last time i was down there. not sure where its from, though.

threecb
10-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Sweetwater is from GA, available in NC though. I heard good things about their 420 IPA.

sallad
10-29-2004, 02:11 PM
420 IPA ... yep, thats the one i had! a good brew indeed!

Payson
10-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Sweetwater in general has great offerings!

Dropzone
11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by wedgeseven
My girlfriend is going to visit her brother around christmas time in Fayetteville, NC, and I am working on her to bring me back some goodies. I was wondering if anyone knew of and local brew pubs or great east coast specific beers that are a must try.

I use to like and go to the Mash House all the time... then they decided to screw with their IPA. Their IPA was a silver medal winner at the GABF... then they decided to change around the recipe and claim it was still a silver medal winner. Whatever. Their porter isn't really that great, Pilsener and Red are alright. Stout is... ok... I guess.

YOU SHOULD TOTALLY AVOID HUSKE HARDWARE HOUSE!!! I don't know what they brew downtown, but it ain't beer. The food is over priced at both HHH and Mash House.

Highlander is a little scottish pub that imports beer. Good atmosphere. Club sandwich is awesome.

It might be a little drive, but I think it is worth it. Chapel Hill has a brewpub called Carolina Brewery. Awesome beer. Not sure what they have on tap now. I didn't like their Santa's Secret last year... don't like spice in my beer. Usually their darks are pretty good and their lighter beer is on par. Avoid Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill unless you enjoy watered-down, substandard, overpriced beer and food.

Raleigh has the Flying Saucer, which is nothing more than a tap house. Forget how many taps they have, but I think it tops 60. Pretty good w/ good atmosphere. Kinda pricey, but not too bad. Hate that 6% ABV cap in this state. If they removed that, I'd love to see Old Rasputin RIS on tap....

If you make it out to Wilmington, Front Street Brewing has a pretty good, and malty, Scottish. Their seasonal is a Dobble Bock that is tastey. Their Oatmeal Stout isn't too good... too sweet for my taste and not stouty enough.

washark
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Back in the states finally and first night back went to The Mash House in Fayetteville, NC. Nice atmosphere and the beer was good. They had a seasonal of Blueberry Blonde (interesting) and Belgium Dubbel (not enough carbonation). The IPA was good as was the Porter and Stout. I over-did-it with no alcohol for six months, no dinner, and a 36+ travel day. I will certainly be back this week while re-deploying to take in as much as I can. This time I will eat and go a little slower. I really wish that they would up the carbonation as most had little to no head and very little bubbles. They also served the Belgium in as pilsner glass, charged more for it, and put a 2 drink limit on it (although you could have as much of the others as you wanted, even after the two drink limit of the dubbel...stupid).

Payson
12-05-2006, 10:35 AM
NC is still a "under 6%" state, so you're not gonna find any big beers there.
Not anymore!! :D

Try the Highland Imperial Gaelic Ale if you're fortunate enough to see it.

Chuckee
12-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Dropzone

It might be a little drive, but I think it is worth it. Chapel Hill has a brewpub called Carolina Brewery. Awesome beer.

Tylerís is just a few blocks from Carolina Brewery. http://www.tylerstaproom.com/

It's worth the trip.

klatoo
12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Natty Greene's Pub and Brewing Company is one place down town in Greensboro, kind of a cookie cutter brew pub, but they do have some decent beers that they brew themselves. Nice big showy copper kettles and all that. Foods passable - not great.

If you want atmospher go to McCools - it reminds me of the places I hung out in college 20 years ago, they have 15 or so standard taps (Boddingtons, Newcastle, Harp) and others, plus a couple rotating taps that you just never know until you go in.

Great staff, very good food at a reasonable price. If I didn't have to work for a living I could easily hang out there 24/7

Daniel James
12-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I know that this is an old thread, but... Although they dont have a taphouse, dont forget to try any offerings from The Duck Rabbit in Farmville, NC. Excellent Milk Stout.