PDA

View Full Version : Bischoff Beer

Jars82
02-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi, I am looking for a beer made in Germany. It was only made in this one town.. the name of the beer is Bischoff Pils. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.. Thank you.
Stephanie

chazwicke
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the board. What town were you speaking of? Which part of Germany? We have a couple of German members here who may be able to help.

newportstorm
02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
The Bischoff website is all German (my HS German doesn't help me much) - maybe Stahlsturm can translate and help out:

http://www.bischoff-bier.de/index_treffpunkt.html

It appears the beer(s) make it to the US - a place called Brauhaus Venice carries their beer - may be the importer? Worth calling or using their contact form:

http://www.brauhaus-venice.com/

And here are a few reviews of the Pils from BA:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/921/2936/

Prost!

Jars82
02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Update to my first thread.. the name of the town where it is made is called: Kottweiler-Schwanden.. not sure about the spelling of the second half... thanks for your help!

fretlessman71
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Again, Stahlsturm is the guy you want to talk to. If you don't get him to find this thread, you could always send him a PM.

Chaz
02-16-2005, 05:58 PM
I can't beleive you are talking about one of my top 5 beers.. I was stationed with the Air Force in Germany and bought it on a daily basis.. I have some in my fridge right now and bought it at ABC and B-21 in Florida.. The brewery is located 25 miles NE of Kaiserslautern, Ge...

Stahlsturm
02-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by fretlessman71
Again, Stahlsturm is the guy you want to talk to. If you don't get him to find this thread, you could always send him a PM.

I'm here, I'm here... Checking brewery page right now.

Stahlsturm
02-17-2005, 01:18 AM
I mailed them, let´s see what I´ll get. Their HP DOES mention distribution in the USA though where and through whom is a mystery yet.

Chaz
02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
The importers that are printed on the box in Florida indicates that the beer is imported by Import A-N-T Wines, Inc. Venice, FL. 34292. The case also indicates that the brewery in located in Winnweiler, Germany. Hope this helps you out in the quest to get the beer to your area..

Jake
02-19-2005, 08:30 PM
What is Berghoff beer? I saw that at a micro beer store. Must be German also.

BluesHarp
02-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Jake
What is Berghoff beer? I saw that at a micro beer store. Must be German also.

Try Huber Brewery in Monroe WI...:)

Huber Brewing (http://www.huberbrewery.com/21index.shtml)

GooseIslandFan
02-19-2005, 10:04 PM
The Berghoff is a famous German restaurant in downtown Chicago. They used to brew their own stuff but have since contracted it out to Huber Brewery in Wisconsin. Most of their styles are better than average but nothing incredible.

chazwicke
02-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Welcome Goose Island Fan. I think the Bergoff beer has long been contract brewed. I remember the brand name from the 1970s.

fretlessman71
02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Welcome GIF! Glad to have you aboard.

Used to get the Huber beer for about $11 a case + $1.20 bottle deposit. Far better than any BMC and the bock style was pretty decent for the price. And the boxes were just an extra bonus... still have a few of them around.

steveh
02-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by chazwicke
I think the Bergoff beer has long been contract brewed. I remember the brand name from the 1970s.

Indeed it has - in fact, the famous restaurant G.I. Fan is talking about used to have its beer brewed in Indiana back before and after prohibition, then made their contract with Huber sometime in the '50s IIRC.

But he's also correct in that the Berghoff used to brew their own for a while after they acquired the Sieben's brew-pub (second coming) in the late 80s or early 90s - I had the opportunity to sample some of this brew and it wasn't terribly good. The old brew-pub is now home to a fine middle-eastern restaurant and the brewing equipment sits idle. :(

S.

chazwicke
02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Well I enjoy middle eastern food but I hate to see unused equiptment. Wonder if they would be willing to sell it. Bruno?

Jake
02-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Stahlsturm
I mailed them, let´s see what I´ll get. Their HP DOES mention distribution in the USA though where and through whom is a mystery yet.

Good luck. I have never gotten a reply back by email from any brewery I have asked a question.

steveh
02-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Jake
Good luck. I have never gotten a reply back by email from any brewery I have asked a question.

You're kidding. Fret and I have e-mailed a few and always seem to get good responses - Flying Dog, Sierra Nevada, Bell's, and Lake Front - to name a few. Then again, they're pretty small, personable breweries comparatively.

S.

fretlessman71
02-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Although I've emailed Big Sky regarding their aluminum bottles about 5 times with no response... I think sometimes you get Luddites working at places like this who know that they have to have a presence on the web, but won't go near their computer with a 3-meter staff.....

Jake
02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
The last email was to Bell's. This thought just came to me that their replys might be going to my bulk mail folder. Which by the time I finish this little post 5 more junk email will of been added to that folder. I often just empty that folder with out even looking at it.

fretlessman71
02-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Those bulk email folders are handy, but you gotta set 'em just right.....

chazwicke
02-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Good to check what you are dumping though.

Jake
02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Boy this thread has gotten somewhat off topic and I feel somewhat responsible. Sorry Jars82

chazwicke
02-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Bischoff to Berghoff to junk bulk mail. How is it off topic?

Chaz
02-21-2005, 05:55 PM
must of been the beer!!! drinking and typing on a message board can be dangerous to our minds:)

chazwicke
02-21-2005, 06:16 PM
LOL! if so then I'm in Big trouble!:eek:

majormadmax
04-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to correct that Bischoff is brewed in Winnweiler, not Kottweiler-Schwanden. I used to live a few kilometers away from the brewery, in Langmeil; and toured it once.

I miss it!

Cheers! M2

steveh
04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
There is probably more than one Bischoff Brewery in Germany, as there are multiple Lowenbrau Breweries.

But the link Newport gives back at the beginning of this thread definitely shows that brewery's address as:

Privatbrauerei Bischoff
An den Hopfengärten 6,
D-67722 Winnweiler

S.

chazwicke
04-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by majormadmax
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to correct that Bischoff is brewed in Winnweiler, not Kottweiler-Schwanden. I used to live a few kilometers away from the brewery, in Langmeil; and toured it once.

I miss it!

Cheers! M2

Welcome to the board. What other German brews did you prefer and breweries did you visit?

majormadmax
04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
We spent four years in Germany (95-99), and Bischoff was my favorite and most-consumed beer. I tried a variety of others but to be honest I usually stuck with what I knew best and loved...Bischoff!

We later did three years in Belgium (02-05) what had some nice beers, but nothing I would prefer over the German breweries' product. We made several trips back to Germany but we never stopped in Winnnweiler. However, I was over there prior to that, and went out for a schnitzel and a Bischoff. I took a couple of pics as well of my hold haunts...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/BischoffBrewery.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/WinnweilerGasthaus.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/Bischoff.jpg
(I guess I am too new to post pics, so please use the links above)

It was enough to bring a tear to my eye! The time we lived in Germany were probably the best years of our lives, and I will always remember them with great fondness. It is my homeland (I was born in Frankfurt, and my mother is from Wurzburg) and where I feel the most at home. I was last there in late 2005, in Stuttgart for two weeks. If I could live there permanently, I would; but San Antonio is my home in the States and we do love it here as well.

Cheers! M2

BrewDog
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I was stationed in Kitzingen for a short time back in '84. One of the things that got me into good beer was drinking the "Alt Schweinfurter Dunkel" on base. Funny how some things you never forget.

chazwicke
04-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Excellent pictures. Makes me want to return to Germany for a visit.

steveh
04-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Great pics. The little Bierstube reminds me of a small town just outside Scwäbisch Hall that I visited a few years ago.

Prosit!

S.

Chaz
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
MajorMadMax, I was with the 86Comm Gp, Ramstein 93-99 and I still have a house in Schertz, TX, just up the road from Randolph. I still buy Bischoff, but it is not the same as out of the tap!!! I am heading to SA in July.. do you want me to bring you a 6 pack?

majormadmax
05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Chaz
MajorMadMax, I was with the 86Comm Gp, Ramstein 93-99 and I still have a house in Schertz, TX, just up the road from Randolph. I still buy Bischoff, but it is not the same as out of the tap!!! I am heading to SA in July.. do you want me to bring you a 6 pack?

Chaz

I'd be forever in your debt if you did! Are you are MacDill?

Oddly enough, I just got tapped to go to a two-day conference in Stuttgart next week, so I fly out Sunday. Unfortunately, I won't have any time to head up to the KMC area, but at least I will be able to hit a castle or two, get a real schnitzel, and down a couple of Pils while I there. It'll be the first time I have been back since Nov 05 (which also was to Stuttgart), and I am looking forward to it.

Cheers! M2

Chaz
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by majormadmax
Chaz

I'd be forever in your debt if you did! Are you are MacDill?

Cheers! M2

I live NW of MacDill, retired, and living on a beach!! ..PM your address and phone number and I can give you a call when I get into town..We will be a couple blocks from the Airport and looking to be in SA for 4th of July!

UPDATE! Trip is canceled!! sorry.. I will keep you in mind when we do come..

majormadmax
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey Chaz

I haven't forgotten about you, can you still get Bischoff in Tampa?!?

I may be heading back to Stuttgart in September (I scored a trip to Garmisch last January, it was colder than a witch's but the beer still tasted great!). I won't get by the KMC area but I know I can find some good beer still!

Cheers! M2