PDA

View Full Version : Good beer bars/stores in Florida

SgtTwisty
03-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Are there any good beer bars/stores on the north east coast of Florida from like say Melbourne to the GA Border other than Paradise Alley in Jax?

wortchillergoal
03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
St. Augustine has the following

A1A Ale House on Rt A1A near Lyons Bridge.

Rendez Vous on St George St.

MadDog88
03-22-2005, 07:53 AM
I went to school in Daytona many moons ago. At the base of The Adam's Mark Hotel was Berncastel's Fest Haus. They had a good German Draft selection. It was still there about three years ago. The hotel has changed recently. I can't remember who runs it now. It is the really big hotel across from the Ocean Center.

Believe it or not the other good German bar/deli is in the Volusia Mall. Mr. Dunderbak's is a great pit stop while the wife is spending your money. It is located near the Sears store.

My most favorite bar in Daytona didn't have a great beer selection but you just can't beat the Ocean Deck for a great hot time. The REAL Deck is the downstairs part. I still refuse to go in the upstairs Air Conditioned addition.

MmmBeer
04-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I've lived in a couple cities down heah in Florida. Here are some decent spots:

Tampa/St.Petersburg:

World of Beer
2809 Gulf to Bay Blvd (rt60 i think)
Clearwater, FL 33659
(727) 797-6905
+They have an awesome selection of some really hard to find beers including (hold your breath) Westy! Also great Belgian, German, American, well pretty much everything. Definately check it out.

Shep's Foodmart And Deli
2001 4th Street N
St. Petersburg, FL 33704
(727) 823-6565
+ Oh Sheps. I used to live up the street from this place. Really, really good selection (not as good as WOB but not too shabby). Lots of Belgians and imports.

FOUR GREEN FIELDS
205 W PLATT ST,
TAMPA, FL 33606
Phone: (813) 254-4444
+ If you're in Tampa for any reason, you need to stop in at the Fields. This is the only authentic thatched roof pub in America. They have a decent selection of (Irish and English) beer on tap and in bottles. The kicker here is the atmosphere. It is the closest thing to an Irish or English pub I have ever been to outside of those countries. The people who work there are Irish. They always have an Irish folk singer, or some other Irish band playing there and sometimes have really big bands like the Corrs or Black 47. And craziest of all, this place is owned by the IRA. There are Sinn Fein posters all over the walls. Do not wear an "England Rocks" or a "God Save the Queen" shirt in here.

Also of note are The James Joyce in downtown Ybor which is another nice irish pub but really not as good as Four Green Fields and Hoppers, which I have never been to but have heard is pretty good.

Um. Was gonna post bunch of stuff about Miami but this ran on a bit long. If you want to know about M-IAM-I then post and I will list my fav's there too.

fretlessman71
04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey, I've got family in Homestead (for now, anyway), halfway between Miami and the Keys. The info couldn't hurt, right? :)

MmmBeer
04-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Certainly could not...

Miami, my place of domicile presently, here we go (these are my favorites and not a complete list).

Titanic Brewpub
5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd
Coral Gables, FL, 33146
305-667-2537
+ This place is pretty damn cool. Right across the street from the University of Miami where I go to school so I'm there a lot (let me know if anyone is stoppin by!). Highlights include: live music; a damn good IPA (the Whitestar IPA); really great seasonals/limited edition/and sometimes handpumped cask versions of their home varieties; the best damn meatloaf sandwich in South Florida. You walk in past the giant brewing vessels. Cool.

The Abbey Brewing Co.
1115 16th Street
Miami Beach, FL 33139
305-538-8110
+ I've been here maybe 5-6 times. Don't frequent the beach much, most of it is way too clubby for me. But this place is awesome. They have rotating varieties (last time I had the double IPA; aaaawow) I think 2-3 of their own brews on tap at one time; I have not had one that i didn't think was incredible. The bar is small, crowded, and frequently very smoky. Just like I like it. If you're by the beach you must go.

There's a Gordon Biersch out in Brickell but since I don't like the area (very snotty) and don't like GB I have not been there. But if you like that sort of stuff.

Other than that we have a handful of decent sports bars and such. Unfortunately there is very little in the way of good beer stores in the area. Not, at least what I call a good beer store ("Sir how many kinds of rauch bier do you carry?" "Rock Beer? I think the Rolling Rock is in the back by the Bud.") But someone mentioned this place to me, yet to check it out:

Crown Liquor Store?
1590 S. Dixie Hwy, Miami,
FL 33146
+Never been. Try it out.

fretlessman71
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I know for myself that in Homestead, there's a liquor store just off to the right of Sedano's Supermercado... don't know what the name of it is. Oh, wait - Mega Discount Liquors II, 833 NE 8th St Homestead FL (305) 247-2666. I'm pretty sure they actually have decent beer in a vast BMC wasteland... :)

chazwicke
04-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I get an email newsletter about beer in Fla every week from this site:

http://www.freshbeerinc.com/

you might find some useful info there.

Chaz
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I am not sure, but look for an ABC. Wide selection of both beer and wine.. lots of good imports

venicejazz
07-12-2005, 10:38 PM
hey MMMBeer, I'll be joining you in the Gables this August for law school. I've been to Titanic twice; good stuff. There's also a crown market not far away that sells a nice selection. I remember lots of Rogue which makes me happy. I don't find Miami to be as beer-weak as I had heard. Also, I have heard about a place in Gables called, creatively, The Bar. Suppousedly, they have or have had Belgians on tap. Ever heard of it?