PDA

View Full Version : Free The Hops

TOBP_Steve
06-23-2005, 01:10 PM
http://www.al.com/living/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/living/111951847980540.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

This is a grass-roots campaign in Alabama to raise the permissable ABV in Alabama from the current 6% to 14%, much like what Georgia did last year, and what N. Carolina is attempting right now. In addition, their is also a 16 oz cap on beer containers, so those sold in 22 oz bombers or 750 ml bottles are SOL.

I'm sure all Realbeer members in Alabama are aware of freethehops.org, but if not go sign up. Georgia is proof that enough pushing on your legislators can get positive results, and with only 20 or 30 members, Free The Hops can use all the members they can get. Hopefully it won't take the 7 years that it took Georgia.

unkle bik
06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Never could understand why beer was always singled out in th ABV debate. If you could by wine at 18%, and liquor of 190 proof, what's a couple of ABV among friends?

Payson
06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
South Carolina is pushing for the same:

Pop the Cap (http://www.popthecapsc.org/)

unkle bik
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Ohio ws one of those draconian states until last year.
Thank God , somebody changed it!

I'll have another DFH 120, please!

HogieWan
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't think anyone in Louisiana would pass such a silly law.

Wilson
06-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by HogieWan

No kidding, if anything it would be an alcohol minimum. :D Good luck Alabamians! I'd pass this along to some of my fam over there, but they dont believe in beer.

HogieWan
06-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Wilson
No kidding, if anything it would be an alcohol minimum. :D

I think I'll write my congressman!

TOBP_Steve
06-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by HogieWan

I have a friend just outside of Birmingham, who is a Free the Hops member, who has kin in Louisiana, and that's usually where he gets his good beer. Like me, he has an awesome mother in law, and every time she visits she gets a shopping list from him of what he wants. I guess they live not to far from New Orleans, so she has access to a wide selection.

So yeah, you're right, Louisiana is like the Wisconsin of the South. Alcohol is just part of doin' bidness.

HogieWan
06-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by TOBP_Steve
. . . Louisiana is like the Wisconsin of the South.

No offense, but I think we're going to hold off making that our state motto for a while.:)