PDA

View Full Version : Cains Lager?

MeridianFC
08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
To complete the hat trick, I've been seeing ads for yonks for Cains Lager in "What's Brewing" (there it's done). It's apparently some stripe of cask lager. It's certainly not the first British cask lager of the modern era, I believe that honor goes to Harviestoun's Schiehallion, an absolutely marvelous brew from Dollar. In any case has anyone had this? I've not had the pleasure of tasting any of the Cain's brews but I've been very curious.

stronk
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Whoops. I saw this at the GBBF, but thought 'why have a lager, when you could have their Dark Mild?'. I should have sampled it.

MeridianFC
08-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm very interested in the idea of cask lagers. The Schiehallion was one of the best beers I've ever had, but it's obviously difficult to come by my way. Several of the US micros that do cask will put almost any style in a firkin which makes for an interesting pint, trying something usually only served via artificial carbonation.

critch
08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
im sorry to say while its an admirable effort its hardly in the same league as schiehallion its quite yeasty tasting and no wfere as good as other cains efforts such as 2008, triple hop,or raisin

MeridianFC
08-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Interesting. They certainly are pushing it as far as the advertising.

chazwicke
08-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Cains make some good beers. I have sampled at their booth at GBBF. I've not had the cask lager from them though. I do absolutely love Schiehallion .

critch
08-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by chazwicke
Cains make some good beers. I have sampled at their booth at GBBF. I've not had the cask lager from them though. I do absolutely love Schiehallion .
its a good effort but not as good as F.A. 2008, triple hop, sundowner etc:D