PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

bsardin
01-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I am looking for a place to vacation that is the best of both worlds. I need someplace that I can go where I can sample some great local beers that I can't get here in Arkansas but also someplace that has stuff for my family to do also. Does anyone have any suggestions?

fidcastro
02-11-2003, 11:59 PM
If you are vacationing in the summer, Portland would be a great place to go. The Northwest has a huge selection of great beers, and Portland is definately a beer-lovers city. The Dublin Pub (which I don't think is actually in the city limits, but is in a suberb) always has a good selection of local brews (I think they carry about 80 beers on tap, but it might be more than that) so that would be a good place to start. There are many, many other great places to have a beer in Portland but I don't want to write a book at the moment. If you happened to visit over the 3rd weekend in July, I believe that is the weekend of the Oregon Brewers festival, which is always a great event. Of course, if you are there on any other weekend there will also likely be a festival, since most summer weekends entertain at waterfront park.

For the rest of the family... Portland is only an hour from the Pacific Ocean, and the Oregon Coast has some of the most photographed beaches in the world. It is also only an hour or two from any outdoor activities your family might enjoy in the Cascade Mountains. Camping in the Oregon Mountains in the summer is amazing.

Writing this email makes me wish I were back in Portland.:(

Fid

batkins
03-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I have to chime in on Portland, also. I visited here in '99. Then moved from Florida in 2001. Great place!! The coast is incredible. The mountains are beautiful. Only 3 hours to Seattle. Bend is 3 hours in the other direction. Lots of outdoors stuff to do. All in all, it's heaven up here!
Oh yea, did I mention beer? More breweries per capita than any other city.....(I read that somewhere). Lucky Lab, Alameda, Laurelthirst, Bridgeport, ahh hell, they are everywhere!
Come, enjoy.
Search on the net, you will find plenty to do. If you need any info, let me know, maybe I can help.
Bill Atkins :p

banzai1
04-20-2003, 12:03 AM
I must also agree. Since moving here to Portland 2 years ago, I have had several friends and family members visit, and marvel at the things to do and the beer to drink.
As far as brew goes, the Rogue has a great pub in NW Portland, and the main brewery on the coast in Newport. Also in Newport (a GREAT getaway for the whole family), the Rogue has a "Bed and Beer." They have three rooms (they actually feel like apartments) and at least one can accomodate six people comfortably. Rogue recommendations? Their Shakespeare Stout is one of the best American stouts I've tried. The St. Rogue Red is hoppy and aromatic, and the Brutal Bitter is a great IPA.
Portland offers several places to visit on vacation: Japanese Garden, waterfalls, mountains, fish hatcheries, etc. Portland is also close to Seattle (about three hours). Seattle is a world-class city which boasts an impressive collection of brews as well. In my humble opinion, the Elysian ESB is the second best ESB in the country (Broad Ripple Brewpub in Indy has the best).
Beware, when you get to the Pacific NW, you may not want to go back!