PDA

View Full Version : Erdinger Weissbier

Stefan A
10-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Can someone try and describe this beer for me? Just a basic description - I don't need a full blown beer review :). I noticed that I can get this in a 30L keg, so it is on my list of beers to consider for my next keg.

Thanks,
Stefan

steveh
10-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Bavarian Weizenbier - estery nose and flavors, some banana and clove characteristics. Light-medium body, straw color but cloudy (probably, if it's advertised as a hefeweizen) due to suspended yeast. The Erdinger is very similar to Hacker-Pschorr Hefeweizen, though I think the Erdinger is a little more mellow in its flavor characteristics. Erdinger also makes a dark Weizen and a Weizenbock.

S.

HogieWan
10-04-2005, 09:46 AM
from what I've heard, it's a good bavarian wheat beer. If you like the style, this will fit right in.

I'mRocketMan
10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
I *really* enjoyed both the Weiss and the Dunkelweiss from Erdinger!

I'd say go for it!!

Rocket

MeridianFC
10-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Stefan A
Can someone try and describe this beer for me? Just a basic description - I don't need a full blown beer review :). I noticed that I can get this in a 30L keg, so it is on my list of beers to consider for my next keg.

Thanks,
Stefan

You'll need the right kind of coupler so make sure you have that (A type "German Slider"). Also run Weissbier on draft is a little bit more tricky. You have to run your PSI much higher.

Stefan A
10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
I already have the A coupler as I am going to get Paulaner tomorrow. If I get it, I am sure I will be on here asking questions. What PSI do I need to have? Why does this make it more tricky?

Stefan

HogieWan
10-04-2005, 09:22 PM
I already have the A coupler as I am going to get Paulaner tomorrow.

Paulaner Hefe? or another Paulaner product (I like em all)

newportstorm
10-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Don't need a full blown beer review? Good. How bout this.......yawn. All bottles I've had stateside have been a snooze - even "fresh". Is it better on draft? In Germany? Probably. But what I've tasted isn't worth a repeat buy.

Prost!

Stefan A
10-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Sorry, it's the Paulaner Oktoberfest that I am getting

Newport - Is it that you are not a fan of this style German beer, or you didn't like this particular one?

Stefan

HogieWan
10-05-2005, 09:07 AM
I just polished off a sixer of paulaner's okto - very fine beer indeed. T'would be nice to have it on tap.

newportstorm
10-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Newport - Is it that you are not a fan of this style German beer, or you didn't like this particular one?

Just this one. Huge fan of some imports like Weihenstephaner and Hacker-Pschorr, as well as some American versions that are up to snuff. Again though, lots of imports take a beating during shipping to the US. Is this why Erdinger fails to impress me? Won't know until I taste it fresh in Germany some day.

Cheers!

stronk
10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I think it's the beer, not its treatment. I agree with you that Erdinger is a lot more bland (I would say more subtle, though) than many others.

MeridianFC
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
For me German Weiss Bier begins and ends with Schneider. That's just me though.

fretlessman71
10-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Next time I have a wheat beer, I'm going to go scrape my tongue first. I must be missing out on some of the best tasting stuff in the world, and yet most of these taste relatively similar - none too outstanding, none too horrible to drink. Gumballhead was an exception, but it's not really a weissbier. Neither is the Triple Wheat I had last night from Marin Co. (BA calls it a "wheat wine" - whoa!). I feel like I'm deficient somehow when it comes to this stuff... maybe I'll just go back to my porters. :)

Hmmm... a wheat porter.....

HogieWan
10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by fretlessman71
Hmmm... a wheat porter.....

try a dunkelweisen

fretlessman71
10-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Tabernash just south of here makes one - durned good, IMHO. :D

steveh
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by HogieWan
try a dunkelweisen

Try a Weizenbock. Mmmm, Aventinus!

S.

fretlessman71
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Ought I to be able to find Aventius here in CO? Sounds intriguing...

Having an Oskar Blues Old Chub as we speak - dang! Good stuff! :)

Stefan A
10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys. I just learned that Fanziskaner also comes in a 30L keg, so that may be better. I just found a liquor store that sells the Erdinger in a bottle, so I picked up a few.

I had a Schneider Weiss while in Switzerland and I didn't think it was all that great - a bit too bitter compared to others of the same style I have had.

I also like the Weihenstephaner a lot.

Stefan

HogieWan
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Franziskaner is my favorite hefe! Love it!!!!

steveh
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I just learned that Fanziskaner also comes in a 30L keg,

I had a Schneider Weiss while in Switzerland and I didn't think it was all that great - a bit too bitter compared to others of the same style I have had.

That Schneider may have been a Swiss brand, not the Munich house. Munich Schneider is a throwback to the old-fashioned weizens, Hacker and the like are post-war style (from what I remember from readings).

Franzi is good stuff - a little different that HP, but as full of character.

S.

MeridianFC
10-06-2005, 12:21 AM

Georg Schneider's beer may be many things, but bitter ain't one of 'em.

Stefan A
10-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Georg Schneider's beer may be many things, but bitter ain't one of 'em.

OK - then I guess it was the "many things" that I didn't like.

Stefan

guildofevil
10-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Schneider is my absolutely favourite wiess and Aventinus is just in a league of it's own, in my opinion.

Erdinger is OK but only OK. Nothing too bold in the flavour department, as with most mass appeal beers.

Fanziskaner is nicer, with more pronounced banana esters, etc. but still presenting a more subdued flavour than Schneider. I would go for the Fanziskaner if I were you.

Séan

LorenB
10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I will say that the Erdinger we get here stateside has lost a little of its flavor and body in shipment, more noticably in the Weiss than the Dunkel.

If you ever get it in Germany, either tap or bottled, it has a more substantial taste. However, if you really wanna taste it at its best you have to take the brewery tour with the unlimited tasting afterwards. Oh what a day that was!

As for y'all that haven't been impressed by it so far, you must be getting some bad shipments or something. Like I said above, its not the same as it is in Germany, but whenever my friends or I get it its still some of the best tasting Weissbier you can find in the states. Course, maybe we're just helping our local retailers replenish their stocks on a regular basis. LOL

Tschüs jeder