PDA

View Full Version : London Pub and Homebrew shop recommendations please.

guildofevil
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi All,
I will be in London visiting an old friend next weekend (Friday the 14th) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Real Ale pub or two? My friend is into his beer too, so the whole weekend is going to be pretty liquid :)

I also have a 20Kg luggage allowance, which I may end up using to bring some homebrew supplies back to Dublin, so if anyone can recommend a homebrew shop in London, that would be great too.

Sťan

MeridianFC
10-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Where in London?

If you get out towards Greenwich I really like the combo of the Richard I and Meantime which are right next door to each other. The Richard I is a Young's pub and Meantime sells really good microbrewed lagers and specialty beers as well as at least one cask.

I can say my experience has always been that if you can't find good ale in London you've done something wrong. I tend to be more familiar with pubs in the southern parts of the city.

BTW you should definitely pick up a copy of the 2005 Good Beer Guide. Indespinsible really.

noby
10-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Sťan,

Look back through this forum for plenty of pub suggestions. It's really hard to go wrong though. I just picked one or two that I knew I would be close to, and actively sought out. Other than that it's a case of sticking your head in the door. If you get a good feel for it, and there's a selection of pump handles, chances are you'll be happy.

I used a London real ale pub-guide website before I went. It gives maps etc. I can't think of it now, but I posted it in one of the previous threads. I'll dig it out later on if you like.

Cormac

guildofevil
10-06-2005, 05:11 AM
He lives at Elephant and Castle.
I don't really know London myself as I only ever passed through on my way elsewhere.

Sťan

stronk
10-06-2005, 08:36 AM
The only brew shop I know of in London is the Pitfield brewery and Beer Shop (www.pitfieldbeershop.co.uk). Luckily, it is fairly close to an outstanding local pub, even though the area is quite far removed from the main London areas and the tourist route. The tube station is Old Street, a few stops on the Northern Line away from Elephant and Castle. The pub nearby is called the Wenlock Arms (www.wenlock-arms.co.uk) and serves an uncommonly high number of good cask ales.

chazwicke
10-06-2005, 08:44 AM
I'll second the Wenlock Arms. Might not be the nicest neighborhood but well worth the trip. And the publican truly does care about his beers. He had one that had not quite settled brite and he did not want to sell it when I was last there. I will go there again on future visits. The Pub guide is recommended by me too but you'll find plenty of good places. We have done some threads on this before and there are some great suggestions on them. Try a search.

Also this link:

http://www.fancyapint.com/

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5523&highlight=london+pub%2A+recommendations

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4704&highlight=london+pub%2A+recommendations

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1366

guildofevil
10-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks lads.
I think I know where I'm going on Saturday. Pitfield brewery followed by a couple of pints in the Wenlock Arms.

I've had a look at fancyapint.com and there seems to be a few nice Real Ale pubs in the area.

I'm looking forward to it now, I must say.

Sťan

chazwicke
10-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Wenlock Arms is definitely a neighborhood pub. But we were treated well and enjoyed it.

stronk
10-06-2005, 11:25 AM
You have probably found out alreay that the pitfield brewery shop is (IMO) the best place in London to buy specialty European and British beer. If you're really lucky, they might even have Westvleteren (although I doubt it now, after all the media attention). The owner (I can't remember his name) only lets you buy a small number of Westys, as he gets them so sporadically and the entire stock used to be bought out by the first person into the shop after he got them in.

Richard English
10-11-2005, 11:30 AM
It's always difficult to recommend a good pub in London as there's an estimated 5,500 of them. Very few are poor, some are so-so and most are grand.

Just drop into a few and, providing they have handpumps on the bar you're halfway there.

Get a zone 1 travel card and just hop the tube or bus and follow your nose.

I like The Wilton Arms and The Nag's Head in Kinnerton Street, and there's a Fuller's house - The Star - in the same area. But, really, in London there's a pub on every corner - it's a wonderful place to booze.

On 14 October I shall be in Tottenham Court Road and will probably be having a pint in The Three Tuns (Youngs), in Googe Street at lunchtime. Either that or The Blue Posts in Newman Street (Sam Smiths).

gallowd7
10-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Try the Jerusalem. Look it up on Fancyapint.com
I missed it when I was there but it is evidently a free house with a fine selection.

There, that leaves about 5,490 more recommendations to go.

YamahaXS
10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
this place was somewhere on the northwest side... damned if i know where! but it had great beer... DoubleDrop was especially good.

noby
10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
According to Google, there's a Ship Tavern in Lime St., but that's pretty central. (north-west of the tower, maybe)

YamahaXS
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by noby
According to Google, there's a Ship Tavern in Lime St., but that's pretty central. (north-west of the tower, maybe)

i would certainly trust google over me!

seriously, that night we covered ground in the underground, so I had no idea for relative distances etc...

eventually we ended up in an area that was nothing but CURRY restuarants! :D

mmmmmm........currry

guildofevil
10-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone.

I have no idea where I'll end up at this stage, but one thing I'm sure of, is that I'll be drinking pints of bitter somewhere, in a little over 24 hours :)

Sťan

HogieWan
10-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by guildofevil
but one thing I'm sure of, is that I'll be drinking pints of bitter somewhere, in a little over 24 hours :)

that's all you need to know!

chazwicke
10-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by guildofevil
Thanks everyone.

I have no idea where I'll end up at this stage, but one thing I'm sure of, is that I'll be drinking pints of bitter somewhere, in a little over 24 hours :)

Sťan

You lucky guy! I'm jealous!

stronk
10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
eventually we ended up in an area that was nothing but CURRY restuarants!
That was probably Brick Lane. Did you have loads of Indian waiters crowding you on the street trying to persuade you to come to theirs over all the others?

YamahaXS
10-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by stronk
That was probably Brick Lane. Did you have loads of Indian waiters crowding you on the street trying to persuade you to come to theirs over all the others?

yep. it was brick lane. we had met up with a friend from gradual school and he frequents the area quite abit. I know I would if I lived there.

:)

chazwicke
10-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Not only are you guys making me thirsty, Now your making me hungry.