PDA

View Full Version : Guinness brew 39

noby
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Guinness are releasing a limited edition stout today.
Seems it's basically the same as the draught Guinness, with a late hop addition.

It will be available for 6 months, in about 300 pubs around Dublin. Apparantley from one of Arthur's original recipes.

There are more in the pipe line to be released about every 6 months or so. The next one is due in early 2006 in selected nationwide pubs.

I probably won't get to Dublin for a couple of weeks. Perhaps Sean will give us a verdict once he's back from his real ale expedition

Press release (http://www.diageo.com/en-row/NewsAndMedia/PressReleases/2005/12+October+2005+Brew+39.htm)

HogieWan
10-19-2005, 11:57 AM
can you ship beer to the US?

MeridianFC
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
If/when you taste it let us know how it is.

BTW is that Nick Cave in your avatar?

noby
10-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by HogieWan
can you ship beer to the US?

I'm sure I can, but this isn't being bottled, just draught, afaik.

noby
10-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by MeridianFC
If/when you taste it let us know how it is.

BTW is that Nick Cave in your avatar?

I will indeed. But Sean might get to sample some before me, as he lives in Dublin.

And, yes that's Nick Cave. I changed my avatar a few months ago as I was going to see him. I'm just lazy I guess, so he's still there.
He played in Cork in July. It was billed as a solo show, but he had three of the Bad Seeds with him (drums, bass and violin; I'm not good with names this early in the morning). A brilliant show, I must say. Played a lot of early stuff, aswell as the new(est) album.

Cormac

stronk
10-20-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't think I'm going to like this much. IMO, hops should be really subdued in a stout, or the tastes get confused.

HogieWan
10-20-2005, 07:17 AM
the hops may be subdues, but just a bit more noticeable than the standard guiness

guildofevil
10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
I'll do a review of this stuff as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on a pint of it.

I have sent an email to a few Diagio addresses asking which pubs will be/are stocking it, so I hope to have a review for you soon.

Séan

arthurguinness
10-21-2005, 05:34 AM
Its very nice. At first I thought it was a bit bland, as it didn't have the distinctive Guinness tangy taste, but its really smooth, and goes down very easily. It isn't completely
Most big pubs in the city centre do it afaik. The one pub I have had it in has pretty rubbish bar staff, so I'm not willing to endorse it. I'll let you know if I find a better one.
Its only on draught. You should all just come to Dublin to taste it.

arthurguinness
10-21-2005, 05:36 AM
...not completely un-guinness like, and won't solve any problems for those eejits who go to the Storehouse and order Guinness with a dash of blackcurrent. But those types have no taste, obviously.

guildofevil
10-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the board arthurguinness. Nice to have a fellow Dub posting.

I sent an email to Diagio and they sent me the following list of city centre pubs who have it:

- Boar's Head (149 Capel st, 1)
- Maddigan's O'Connell St
- Doheny Nesbitts 5 Baggot st Lr, 2
- Conways 70 Parnell st, 1
- Foggy Dew 1 Fownes st Upr, 2
- Whelan's 25 Wexford st, 2
- Flannery's 6 Camden st Lr, 2
- Paddy Callum's 14 Merrion rd,, Ballsbridge
- Schoolhouse 2-8 Northumberland rd, Ballsbridge, 4

Séan

Hogwash
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I sampled the new "Brew 39" the other night in Mulligans on Poolbeg st. Thought it was nice, tasted a bit sweeter than the regular... still perefer the normal stuff but perhaps it's because that's what im use too.

chazwicke
10-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the report and welcome to the board. Our Irish contingent is growing and I'm pleased at that.

noby
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Wow, at this rate we'll have enough members for an Irish get-together.

I still haven't tasted it and won't be in Dublin for the foreseeable future, but something always comes up.

And: welcome, new Irish members, BTW.

Adrian
10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Had it in the long stone last night, wasn’t too impressed. It is like a “dumbed down” version of Guinness, it was very easy to drink but lacked any complexity.

Adrian :)

MeridianFC
10-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Hogwash
I sampled the new "Brew 39" the other night in Mulligans on Poolbeg st..

That's the wife's favorite watering hole o'er there, her being a devotee of the Art Deco thing. And very fond of a pint of plain, good woman that she is.

chazwicke
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Adrian
Had it in the long stone last night, wasn’t too impressed. It is like a “dumbed down” version of Guinness, it was very easy to drink but lacked any complexity.

Adrian :)

Welcome Adrian.

Adrian
10-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by chazwicke
Welcome Adrian.

Thanks, good to be here :D

spbwpresident
11-01-2005, 06:12 PM
My girlfriend, and I are going with a tour group to Dublin, Kinsale and Killarney from the 11th of November to the 19th. I've been trying to read up on some of the brewpubs and better beer bars. Porterhouse looks good as well as a few others. Any recommendations? We should have enough time between the touristy obligations to do what's most important... drink beer. Does anyplace serve real ale? Any off the beaten path gems?

noby
11-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Dominic,

In Dublin you should make it your business to get to the Porterhouse, alright. I'll leave the Dublin residents recommend other pubs to see.

Kinsale is a beautiful spot. A lovely fishing village, that's very popular with the tourists. There are some lovely pubs there too. Murphys and Beamish will be more prominant than in Dublin, being Cork stouts. You'll have plenty of oppurtunity to sample seafood down there too.
There is a brewery there (Kinsale Brewery). I've only ever tried one of their beers. They may be more available there. They might do tours aswell. Other than that, you'll have to go to Cork city to the nearest brewpub, the Franciscan well. It's about 45mins away. Well worth it, though.

I don't know enough about Killarney. It's a bit more touristy, but there are a few nice pubs you might stumble across.

As for real ale, if the Porterhouse don't have their cask TSB, then you're out of luck. We're not really a real ale country, more's the pity.

guildofevil
11-02-2005, 06:20 AM
There is an excellent site for pubs in Dublin. http://www.dublinpubscene.com/ does reviews, a picture of the front of the pub in question and a map to guide you there.

The porterhouse is my favourite pub in Dublin, although I tend to go to the Glasnevin one rather than the templebar one, as it doesn't get as crowded and has better food selection. I think the staff are nicer too, but that could just be because they are not as stressed.

As for other pub recommendations, there is Messrs. Maguires http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/messrsmaguires.html , which is a brewpub a stones throw from O'Connell Bridge. It's huge, trendy and the music gets pretty loud late at night, but the beer isn't bad.

Other than that, it really depends on what you're after in a pub. Many city centre pubs now stock a few bottles of imports like Erdinger, or Budvar and the occasional Hoegaarden tap has begun to appear but you are probably after the stout anyway, so you shouldn't have a problem, no matter where you go.

Séan

MeridianFC
11-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Porterhouse is a must. If it's the Temple Bar one get there early as the places is heaving come the twilight hours on.

You'll have your chance at plenty of Guinness so I'll leave you to sort out the regular pubs. As I mentioned above Mulligan's of Poolbeg is a very nice Art Deco exterior pub. It used to be said the best pint of Arthur's was to be had there. Since you're going to get your fill of Guinness definitely go to Mssrs. Maguires it's a bit more in the American style of brewpub. Nice change of pice, though I wouldn't consider it a world beater by any stretch, unlike the Porterhouse.

When out in the wilds drink the Beamish which I rate much higher than the Guinness.

I'd contact the Biddy Early folks to see if their beers are served anywhere you're going. The Red Biddy is the best Irish Ale going IMHO (well that and Big Rock's Mcnally's from Alberta, CAN). Personally I think Smithwicks (Kilkenny, and whatever other names the Guinness owned reds are brewed under) is crap. I believe in Inagh you can even sometimes get Real Biddy, which is proper cask conditioned Red Biddy.

http://www.beb.ie/

So Dominic are you going right after the pub crawl on the 10th? If so you are the greatest American hero! ;)

spbwpresident
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The Porterhouse is a definite and we have to do the obligatory Guiness tour, but we're doing the Kinsale Brewery tour and Jameson tour as well. I like a good nip of whiskey... okay maybe more than that. It's our first time visiting, so we have to do the tour stuff, but I just wanted to get a little local flavor as well and try to hit a place or two that have more regulars. I appreciate your input and will try to get to Messrs. McGuire too. Hopefully the weather will be a little accomodating. And yes we are going after the pub crawl on the 10th, but we don't have to leave until around 10am. We are driving to Philadelphia and then flying to Boston before heading over. Cheers All

critch
11-05-2005, 11:45 AM
if your flying direct this wont matter but if your taking the slow boat from liverpool try to pop into the baltic fleet on wapping street liverpool and try their stout brewed under the pub at their own brewery they do over thirty varieties (not all at once though!!) any way the stout is roumored to be a genuine pre 2nd ww guinness recipe;)

Richard English
11-08-2005, 02:15 PM
The Baltic Fleet is a fine boozer (except that it closes too early in the evening). I managed to find it having been marooned in the new docks development where their idea of good beer was Dudweiser!

I did write and complain to the city tourism offices but, what do you know, "...there's no demand for good beer..."