PDA

View Full Version : beer in Mobile AL

corkybstewart
11-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll be in Mobile at Christmas. Does anybody know of any brewpubs or other venues that serve real beer?

batkins
12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm originally from Pensacola, Fl., just 50 miles away. The only thing I can say is, "Good Luck!". Pickings are pretty thin in that part of the world.

corkybstewart
12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
When I went back to Mobile for my 20th high school reunion there was a brewpub downtown, but I don't remember the name-something like Port City Brewery. That was 10 years ago, and I have'nt been back to downtown since. It was probably the first microbrewry I ever went to and I remember the beer being excellent, especially their amber ale.
I've spent many a day on Pensacola Beach, Ft. Walton, Destin back before the condos covered the beaches.

cold_nose
12-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Mr. Jim's Brewpub, downtown on Dauphin St. will be your only hope. Outside of that welcome to real beer hell.

corkybstewart
12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I just got back and I didn't have time to go out anyway-too many family functions. Luckily for me there is a liquor and cigar store one block from my parents(corner of Hillcrest and Cottage Hill) that has a good selection of beers I can't find here. Yuengling, Anchor Porter, Firestone, Flying Dog, Abita Springs, these are some of the beers I bought there, and they were even open Christmas afternoon. My sister had mentioned Mr. Jim's, but she couldn't remember the name. But this trip was too short to go anywhere without the whole clan.

Seymour
01-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I know how you feel, corky. I had plans last week to visit all my old haunts, to drop by Hal and Mal's brewpub and savor their brews over a steamy platter of fried oysters, and to search for Lazy Magnolia beers brewed on the Mississippi gulf coast, but alas, family priorities got in the way.

Glad you made it safely back to NM.

corkybstewart
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
For Christmas my folks gave me a gallon of shucked oysters and 25 lbs of gulf shrimp. We made oysters rockefeller, oysters bienville and fried oysters Thursday night for my boss and a few friends. My boss even drank my homebrew(several glasses) for the first time ever. There's just something about beer and oysters.

chazwicke
01-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by corkybstewart
There's just something about beer and oysters.

You said it! I like em raw.

corkybstewart
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
If I can get them fresh in the shell I prefer them raw with a little lime juice or even vinegar w/chopped green onions. This bucket was bought before Christmas(Dec. 22 I think) so I was worried about eating them raw. My inlaws in France eat a lot of raw oysters, but their oysters are much saltier than Mobile oysters.