Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brewing Water

Well, according to the byo Wizard, he would not recommend using softened water, but it's too late for my pumpkin ale. The water is drinkable, just different with a very slight salty flavor.

So, Should I continue with the secondary and bottle it to see what happens??? Anyone think I shoud just scrap this batch? The wizard didn't elaborate on the final results if you've already started a batch.

Thanks for the help.

I'm also going to find out which would be cheaper, replumbing to get hard water to kitchen sink, or a reverse osmosis system under the sink.
    There are three ways to do something: the right way, the wrong way, and my way (which is the wrong way, but faster!!!)

If you go with reverse osmosis for your brewing water you are stripping even more stuff out of the water. Would it be cheaper to just use bottled spring water from the grocery store?
    "To beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Professor Frink
    Well, according to the byo Wizard, he would not recommend using softened water, but it's too late for my pumpkin ale. The water is drinkable, just different with a very slight salty flavor.

So, Should I continue with the secondary and bottle it to see what happens??? Anyone think I shoud just scrap this batch? The wizard didn't elaborate on the final results if you've already started a batch.

Thanks for the help.

I'm also going to find out which would be cheaper, replumbing to get hard water to kitchen sink, or a reverse osmosis system under the sink.
    I definitely would not scrap it - the hard parts done, just wait and see how it turns out.

Remember that if you go RO then you'll need to "season" the water a bit with probably some gypsum and maybe some calcium chloride because you're starting with essentially distilled water.

Distilled water is very cheap to buy plus I use the gallon jugs that it comes in for my yeast starters.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

I can get 5 gallons from my LGS for less than $1.20 and I'll pick up another two gallons for under .50...so lets see here 7 gallons for less than $2...not bad!
    Jeremy
    [501.5, 293.2] Apparent Rennerian

Malt and hops may not have inspired as many precious pens as the noble grape, but they have always provided good company.

I have well water what do you guys think about that?
    lots of minerals low salt...
    It taste great and is good for ya!!! BEER ME

I made beer for many years off of well water. I think it all goes back to if it tastes good you can make good beer with it.

b3s Guest
    like tweek said...if it tastes good as water, it'll probably make good beer.

And things get worse and worse as the years pass by. I would never drink this water unless provided with no other alternative.

Our water is harder than usual this year as wells start to go dry. But I've never messed with changing the water chemistry, I have just adapted my recipes to work with the water.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Primary:Pecan Smoked Roggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Porter/Vanilla Bourbon Porter,

Historic brewing styles have developed in certain regions because they worked well with the local water chemistry, long before folks knew there were rocks dissolved in their water. I had the advantage of repiping my plumbing myself when I installed a dual resin tank softener (with a dual tank, they alternate recharging, you still have water pressure while one tank recharges). I put the outside spigots on non-softened water, and also ran non-softened water to an activated carbon filter (removes chlorine) that serves the 'fridge's ice maker, the cold water side of the kitchen faucet, and a boiling-hot tap also at that sink. Any brewing water comes from the cold side or the boiling hot tap.

I'll try to offer a shortened version of my usual water rant. If you have a well, get the water tested 1x per year and have them do a full mineral profile in addition to the hazardous chemical analysis if you brew with that water. It's not easy to get where you want to be if you don't know from where you're starting. if you have municipal water, call the water department, ask for the chemist, and they should be able to tell you more about your water than you may want to know. They'll be impressed that someone cares about what they do, and they'll think homebrewing is pretty cool, too.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

I am very lucky that where I live here in western WA the water is incredibly good for brewing.
    We get mountain snowmelt and rain runoff. The water analysis for my city consists entirely of
    single digit and teens for mineral levels - pretty much just like Plzen.
    I MUST add minerals just to get conversion, especially in the spring rainy season.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12