Thread: instructions (and encouragement) for live beer tasting chat

instructions (and encouragement) for live beer tasting chat

anyone should feel free to organize a tasting of a beer.

the best way to do it is to post in this forum a week or two in advance, detailing the beer you plan on tasting (best results with beers available cross-country, or at least in a wide geographical area), as well as the date and time people should show up (don't forget to include which time zone you are scheduling in). international folks... i'd love for you to participate as well, but it might be difficult given all the different time zones and beer availability.

It's useful if you convey the date and time (as well as the beer in question) in the subject area so people immediately know what's going on. Check back for responses to see if people can make it. While I haven't talked to other mods about this, in my opinion at least, it's totally valid to post one other thread on a more well-read area of the site like Pull Up A Stool with a link over to your thread so those who browse only a few forums can find out about your tasting.

the best place to host the chat is in IRC, tho AIM works as well for a limited set of users. just so everyone knows, tweek has set up an IRC room where we can go to chat about beer. if you have an IRC client like mIRC, it's on the sorcery.net network, and the room is #beer. See this thread for more information about IRC.

if you don't have an IRC client on your computer, don't fret! I've set up a web-based IRC client at http://beer.ericandrachel.net. it's a bit rough, but usable. just go to the link, type in the username you use here so people know who you are, and have fun chatting. this should make the IRC chat available to just about anyone who posts on this site.

this is an easy way to schedule tastings and chat about beer. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread.

As anyone who has attended a tasting can attest, they are really fun as well as informative, and we should have them more often!
    Last edited by studentofbeer; 03-13-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    -eric

Sticky this thread!
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

Anyone interested?

Sure, what beer and when?
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Suggestions please? It's been awhile but these were fun.

Never did it in my prior life here, but I'd give it a whirl. Would likely have to be on a weekend for me, since my weekday schedule can be so hard to predict.

Since the teeth of summer are descending, how about a pilsner? I've been wanting to try the Dominion Beachhouse Pilsner. Not sure how widely available it'd be, though. Though that may not matter, since the three of us who've answered so far are from DC/NOVA.

k.
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." -- Dorothy Parker

Funny Chaz, the thought of these came to my mind yesterday too -- BeerSP? Although my home internet is on the fritz, so I couldn't check anything for the past 2 days.

As I thought about those days of parallels, I realize how much my life has changed and my weekends (the perfect days for these things, as Kate points out) are so full of too many things to do! I'd probably have to pass on all but rare occasions.

And Kate, we would always try to pick a beer available to all, even the world over if those members were so inclined. Dominion isn't available here in the midwest, probably not in England either!

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

THe Dominion Beach House is very fine. An excellent brew. But Steveh's right not everyone can get it.

AS far as doing the online tasting - I used to do them at my beach place which is now sold and gone. Bittersweet memories.

I'm not sure I'd avocate for regular tastings - Just maybe a one time shot for old times sake.

We used to get lots of folks. Many who no longer are active here. Even a couple of brewers Brewmonkey and Stodbrew.

If we could get a good group together I'd make time.

For me, it all depends on when, even down which weekend. this weekend I have reserves, the following weekend is OK.
    Evenings can work for me, so long as it is not too early or too late. 9 PM would be great. I am usually enjoying one around then anyway.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

I would try to be there, the tastings we did way
    back when were fun and alot of laughs. But please
    pick something we can get around here or some
    time to locate. Count me in. When and where?

If someone wanted to send something to me for
    the tasting, that I couldn't find here I'd be glad
    to pay my way. PM me please.
    And for those of you who really don't like beer, there's AB, Coors and MillerSAB products.

We at Draughtclub.com do an online beer tasting every week on Fridays from 5 to 10 EST. I know its too late for this week (we're tasting Irish Red Ales), but next week we're tasting Irish Dry Stouts in honor of St. Patty's Day. They are the Starr Hill Dark Starr Stout, O'Hara's Irish Stout, Murphy's Irish Stout, and Guinness Draught Stout. All these are available at Total Wine in the DC area. The Starr Hill may be difficult outside of the east coast. We'd love to have folks join us and let us know what they think. I've only now found this Thread at realbeer.com and will try my best to keep up with it.

The Friday, March 5th tasting of Irish Red Ales had the Harpoon Celtic Irish Red Ale coming in 1st, Saranac Irish Red Ale 2nd, Smithwick's Superior Irish Red 3rd, Killian's Irish Red 4th, and O'Hara's Irish Red 5th. Most of the tasters thought the O'Hara's had too earthy at taste.

I'd like to see these return again....
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

They were fun
    Dance to the music