Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star San and corny kegs

Star San and corny kegs

Can I store StarSan in a corny keg indefinitely? Or will it hurt the keg to do so? And how long in a closed enviroment (say, 2.5 gallons of StarSan solution in a 5 gallon corny keg) will the StarSan stay potent?
    Primary: Mead
    Secondary: Dry Irish Stout
    Bottle/Keg Conditioning: Weizenbock, Dunkleweizen, Cider, Mead, Porter, IPA
    Drinking: Drunk Santa Ale, Chocolate Vanilla Stout, Ginger "Day-walker" Ale, Owen's Brown Pinkie Ale
    Up Next: Irish Stout, Blackwine, Witbier

There's a guy in my homebrewing club who stored Star-san in a Corny keg. it ate thru the SS in a few weeks, leaving pinholes at the water line inside the keg. I wouldn't do it. Just sanitize the keg before you use it.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito

I store my StarSan solution in a 5-gallon carboy. I have reused it for months. It says it is good as long as the pH stays below... um... was it 3? Dangit, I'll have to look that up, but anyway, it stays good for a long time! StarSan may be expensive up front, but you can stretch it quite a ways.

Toney.

I'm glad this thread was started, I was just about to do the exact same thing without asking. The SS thing never even occurred to me.

Star-san is an acid. It makes sense that it would eat thru SS with continuous contact.
    "Be happy in your work"...Colonel Saito

Toney, pH of 3 or below is correct. I continually check mine and add a few drops as needed.
    Secondary: 5 Gallons Flanders, 5 Gallons Imperial IPA
    Kegerator: Barley wine, Imperial IPA, IPA, Coffee Stout

again,

thank you gentlemen for another fine thread. I will empty mine tonight and check it... been in there about a week.
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

I would be very cautious, as been pointed out, as while it is in SS the super low pH of this will cause some problems. The same thing with storing it in plastic. Your plastic will have a super slimey feeling to it and be ruined for good if you use it for extended storage.

I store my star-san in a corney,but it is an old corney that i don't use for beer.As stated above,i would be cautious as it is an acid.
    Lady Astor:If you were my husband,I would poison your drink.

Winston Churchill:If you were my wife,I would drink it.

Question

Originally posted by Payson
    Toney, pH of 3 or below is correct. I continually check mine and add a few drops as needed.
    Was just wondering what you added a few drops of, assuming the ph goes over 3, right?

Just getting into kegging and looking forward to a nice cool glass of draft beer. Apart from sharing with friends and family, considering giving up bottling all together. Curious about how to save money with Star San.

Thanks!
    Keith
    YFIB

5 gal Sparkling Amber Honey Ale bottled
    5 gal Cherry Stout bottled
    5 gal APE fermenter 1

Was just wondering what you added a few drops of, assuming the ph goes over 3, right?
    A few more drops of fresh star san. You can really stretch it out if you keep checking the pH and adding a wee bit as necessary.
    Secondary: 5 Gallons Flanders, 5 Gallons Imperial IPA
    Kegerator: Barley wine, Imperial IPA, IPA, Coffee Stout

Originally posted by Payson
    A few more drops of fresh star san. You can really stretch it out if you keep checking the pH and adding a wee bit as necessary.
    That's great!
    It makes it so much easier to address the drudgery of sanitizing to keep that kind of knowledge around.

Thanks again.
    Keith
    YFIB

5 gal Sparkling Amber Honey Ale bottled
    5 gal Cherry Stout bottled
    5 gal APE fermenter 1

Originally posted by brewmonkey
    I would be very cautious, as been pointed out, as while it is in SS the super low pH of this will cause some problems. The same thing with storing it in plastic. Your plastic will have a super slimey feeling to it and be ruined for good if you use it for extended storage.
    Yeah, same with your beer lines! If you leave them in starsan overnight, they're ruined.

Toney.

Originally posted by brewmonkey
    Ruined as in structural damage, or as in being unfit for brewing in?
    Secondary: Dry Irish Stout
    Bottle/Keg Conditioning: Weizenbock, Dunkleweizen, Cider, Mead, Porter, IPA
    Drinking: Drunk Santa Ale, Chocolate Vanilla Stout, Ginger "Day-walker" Ale, Owen's Brown Pinkie Ale
    Up Next: Irish Stout, Blackwine, Witbier

Originally posted by mookow
    Ruined as in structural damage, or as in being unfit for brewing in?
    When you feel the slime, you will throw the thing out, I guarantee it! There's no way you will want to use the gooey thing again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast