Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star San and corny kegs

Yes thanks for clearing it up for us! I never heard of any of these claims until I read this thread. It seemed fishy to me, as I (A) routinely store Star San mixed with distilled water in a corny for months at a time and have seen no ill effects; (B) have left star san in vinyl tubing and plastic air locks for weeks at a time and never experienced the "slime" feel or any physical degradation; and (C) the concentrated product is packaged in HDPE plastic.

I have, however, seen physical degradation to both aluminum and plastic air locks from being in contact with a 400ppm solution of bleach water for several hours. The fact that it doesn't seem to affect my equipment, and that it is no-rinse is why I switched 100% to Star San.

Edit: I believe the "slimey feeling" is the detergent in Star San.
    Last edited by Saint-Thomas; 02-23-2008 at 01:43 PM.
    Primary: Saison, Dortmunder Export, Belgian Pale Ale, Simcoe IPA
    Bottle: Pumpkin Dubbel, Saffron Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong, Oaked IPA, Espresso Porter
    Kegged: Munich Helles, Am. Barleywine, Black Pepper Pale Ale, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder Export, Maibock, Tripel, Saison w/ Brett., Ginger Porter
    Up next: Dry Stout, Dubbel

I have accidentally left some brass fittings in contact with Starsan for who knows how long and months later after after rediscovering them they where covered in super chunky green corrosion.

I wonder what prolonged exposure does to your hands? My hands are like leather anyway so they just feel a bit dry after dunking them in starsan solution for half the morning.
    On Tap: American Pale Ale
    Primary: Doppel Pilsner, Uber Bock
    secondary: Maibock
    On Deck: Dopple Bock

brass needs little excuse to oxidize, and an acid solution seems like a good excuse. Why are you leaving your hands in Star San for several months?

Primary: Saison, Dortmunder Export, Belgian Pale Ale, Simcoe IPA
    Bottle: Pumpkin Dubbel, Saffron Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong, Oaked IPA, Espresso Porter
    Kegged: Munich Helles, Am. Barleywine, Black Pepper Pale Ale, Ordinary Bitter, Dortmunder Export, Maibock, Tripel, Saison w/ Brett., Ginger Porter
    Up next: Dry Stout, Dubbel

I'm glad this info was posted - I have just started kegging and can really use this kind of info.

Thanks guys.
    So many Recipes So few Fermenters

*Primary :-(
    *Secondary :-(
    *Bottled - :-(
    *Kegged - Summer Wheat V1, Blackberry Wheat
    *Drinking - Purchased, SummerWheat V1
    *Whats in the future - No Lager Pisner, Irish Red Head, Irish Pale Ale, CHWB, Orange Hefeweizen, Wheat/Weizen, Tugla's Triumph IPA.

I also am cleaning up my first kegs to use, for they still smell like Pepsi.
    I used Oxyclean for the cleaning and I will soak in Starsan for about 10-15 min.
    I am still a bit confused with Charlies comments, for I have been using Starsan to clean bottles and equipment for several months. I have been storing my used Starsan in a few plastic containers for months and there is no slimmy residue. I just checked the Ph and it is 3?
    I always get it on my countertops floors cloths and carpet; nothing to show for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I also am cleaning up my first kegs to use, for they still smell like Pepsi.
    I used Oxyclean for the cleaning and I will soak in Starsan for about 10-15 min.
    I am still a bit confused with Charlies comments, for I have been using Starsan to clean bottles and equipment for several months. I have been storing my used Starsan in a few plastic containers for months and there is no slimmy residue. I just checked the Ph and it is 3?
    I always get it on my countertops floors cloths and carpet; nothing to show for it?
    +1. Maybe if it's not diluted it can tear stuff up. I bought some PBW to clean a keg that I got that was left uncleaned after beer was gone for several years. I still like oxyclean for most brewing applications for the price, but that PBW powered though grime like nothing I've ever witnessed.

Has anyone considered what starsan does to your plumbing or septic system when you toss it? Or what happens when your kids or dogs get into it? Think drano
    Last edited by texasliam; 09-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

serving: Ale yeasted pilsner, mild
    primary: cream ale
    secondary: American bitter
    conditioning: cocconut porter

star san is food grade phosphoric acid sanitizer with a very mild detergent. Phosphoric acid is an ingredient in most soft drinks.
    The guys from 5 star chemical claim you can drink it with no harm done.
    The acid is easily neutralized and normal mixing with other stuff in the sewer is fine, though you probably don't want to dump large amounts in your septic tank as it will kill some of the bacteria in there, reducing its effectiveness. If you have star san that you need to dump into a septic tank, then add a little bit of baking soda and that will neutralize the acid making it completely safe for your plumbing.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by texasliam
    Has anyone considered what starsan does to your plumbing or septic system when you toss it? Or what happens when your kids or dogs get into it? Think drano

Used at proper dilution levels it is harmless. I am sure if they drank it unmixed without water in it would be harmful but hopefully you keep it and all other chemicals away from kids and pets anyway. When its properly mixed drinking it would be no more harmful than drinking a Pepsi or Mt.Dew, it just would not taste as good lol. As far as plumbing, it will not react with PVC piping, so unless you live in a 100 year old house that has never had the plumbing updated again not much of a threat. As far as a Septic system goes, unless your dumping 5 gallons per day of star san down it for weeks at a time your not going to effect it, and as brew dog said, if your worried just mix a cup of baking soda with it before you dump it and problem solved.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123