Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Adams

Re: Not always true

Originally posted by newportstorm
    Check out New Glarus' decision to pull back their distribution from surrounding states (including a big market in Chicago) to focus on their core market of Wisconsin.
    You swiped the words right out of my mouth! I'm looking forward to sampling some of their fresh beer at the Quivey's Grove Beer Fest the first weekend in October.

S.

This is an old thread I know but ran across it when I thought I might find a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone... more or less curious about what's in it as I really have no way to properly lager.

I just had one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed. This is an excellent beer and I wished I hadn't avoided it for so long. I avoided it because I always thought it would be like Corona (expensive version of macroswil) because of what I would here other supposed beer lovers saying about it.

A couple of weeks ago, at a restaurant I ordered a beer (not Sam's) and he brought back a Sam Adams Boston Lager (on tap) say they were out of what I ordered... well since all the other things they had were macroswil I said that fine. I was in for a nice surprise. I had a few more... and a few more since then trying to figure out what I liked about it. I think that it's got that clean lager like taste but I would definitely say that it's hopped more like I'd expect from a pale ale. Definetly unique and definetly interesting, and definetly good.

I think those that put down this beer as if it were as evil as macroswil should stop drinking beer. It's just not the same thing. I don't care how much they sell or how much they advertise.

My opinion is that it is a cut above the macroswill. A beer that I have used to introduce macro drinkers to a little flavor. I think of it as a stepping stone brew. And I think it is very drinkable unlike BMC.

I don't think it's just a cut above... I think it's a really solid beer. I'm not saying it's as good as my favorites and given it's availability (I see it everywhere) I'm sure to get bored with it and it will be relegated to backup when nothing else good is available. But comming from someone who is not bored with it yet since I've just had it recently, it's really good. Sam Adam's deserves more credit than being just a "cross over beer" IMHO even if it is good for that purpose.

I have to second the thought made about Boston Ale. It is a very underrated beer IMHO, being a goalie makes me quite humble too.

I don't recall Sam Adams getting that much bad press here. I always took from this community that it was considered more a stepping stone beer, being the highest step of that group, and worth enjoying from time to time.

A goalie has spoken.

Originally posted by PCaravan
    I'm not saying it's as good as my favorites and given it's availability (I see it everywhere) I'm sure to get bored with it and it will be relegated to backup when nothing else good is available.
    And therein lies the route most of us have travelled. I agree that it's not a bad beer - certainly not macro-swill, but there are just so many other good beers out there that Sam gets relegated to "back-up." On top of that, being in Goose Island country, I have my own (slightly larger than) micro to choose from, so Sam gets passed by all the more.

On the other hand, I always enjoy many of the seasonal beers Sam Adams produces.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Originally posted by steveh
    And therein lies the route most of us have travelled. I agree that it's not a bad beer - certainly not macro-swill, but there are just so many other good beers out there that Sam gets relegated to "back-up."
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Many of the chain and sports bar establishments around here usually have the BL and the current Seasonal on tap as the "micro" selection, and that's when I usually drink
    Sam, now. It was one of the first beers that got me into better beers (I know, different thread!), and I don't have a problem drinking it. I prefer the seasonals to the lager.

I wouldn't buy it for home, though, with so many beers out there that I haven't even tried yet!
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Originally posted by threecb
    ...usually have the BL and the current Seasonal on tap as the "micro" selection,
    I love it when those places have "Domestic Specials" on certain nights - $2.00 a bottle. I'll have a Sam. "Well, that's not on special." It's a "domestic." "Well, uh - it's more of an import around here." Riiight, see ya.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

I agree that Sam Adams is a fine beer. I just love the way that beer smells. I enjoy the Ale more than the lager, and I have called it "sammy" for a long time. SA is one of the only seasonals I can get here, and I enjoy seasonal brews. My old roommate was a BudLight man (in his defense, he olny had about 5% of his smell left after a bad sinus infection as a child - so he could smell and things tasted much different to him). SamAdams was the only "real" beer I could get him to drink.

Let's not forget, that SA is the only American beer available in Germany. It sticks to the Reinheisgebot.
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Originally posted by steveh
    I love it when those places have "Domestic Specials" on certain nights - $2.00 a bottle. I'll have a Sam. "Well, that's not on special." It's a "domestic." "Well, uh - it's more of an import around here." Riiight, see ya.

S.
    I know what you mean. I once successfully argued my way to the domestic special price for Yuengling when they told me it wasn't included. They amended the signage after that...
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Originally posted by HogieWan
    Let's not forget, that SA is the only American beer available in Germany. It sticks to the Reinheisgebot.
    Huh? Anheuser-Busch is the beer sponsor of the 2006 World Cup in Germany - one of only two beers to be sold and advertised inside the stadiums. A-B seemed to make a deal with Bitburger over a "Bud/Bit" lawsuit that was pending.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/forum/re...?thread=402567

Cheers!

Originally posted by HogieWan
    The Rheinheitsgebot was ruled illegal with the European Constitution a couple of years ago. So beers not sticking to it can not be banned anymore, and I believe beers can not advertise that they dostick to it either (but the last I'm not really sure).
    Aaah beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems!

Homer J. Simpson

The Rheinheitsgebot was ruled illegal with the European Constitution a couple of years ago. So beers not sticking to it can not be banned anymore, and I believe beers can not advertise that they dostick to it either (but the last I'm not really sure).
    I think the point here is that SA BL was the first only American beer to mee the Rheinheitsgebot AND be sold in Germany. They say it on their website. Bud may be allowed in Germany now but it certainly would never pass the Rheinheitsgebot and I think SA BL passed the Rheinheitsgebot while it was still being used.

Sorry - I read the story about AB at the World Cup. I know it used to be the only American beer there and is definately the first.

Anyone know (or could guess) what kind of hops they use in the BL or ale.
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Look up their website... they have a lot more about their beers and what's in them than I would ever have expected. I've never had the Ale so I didn't even look at it when I was there. The BL is hopped with Haulertau Mittlefrew (sorry have no idea how to spell it) and Tettenanger Tettenang (same here). I think I also remember they dry hopped with Mittlfrew. I don't have the link for yah but it was an easy search the other day.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast