Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA

Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA

All I can say is.....WOW

Decided to finish a night at the local brew shop with one of these. Little did I know it packed a 20% wallop. Has an incredibly hop aroma, smells like you are about to get a mouthful of dry hops. Due to the extremely high alcohol contant, you get a substantual warmth and alcohol taste, which pretty much balances out all the hops. Has some notes of caramel and plum, and you definatley know the alcohol is there. A little while after finishing this bottle I was definately drunk, so be wary. This beer is extreme.

-Dan
    In Progress: Dawson's Kriek, 10W-30, Dutch Castle Magic
    Drinking: Honey Porter, Blackberry Blonde
    Aging:Bourbon Barrel Barleywine, Spiced Cider

Believe it or not, I prefer the 60 or 90 to the 120. The 120 was just way to sweet for my tastes.
    "I have a dragon in my garage" - Carl Sagan

Primary: Schwartzhund Lager, 7 Point IPA(Centennial IPA)
    Secondary: Nothing
    Lagering: Schwartzhund Lager
    Bottle Conditioning: Nothing yet
    Drinking: Pumpkin ale, Lawnmower Wheat Beer, Oatmeal Sweet Stout
    Up Next: Corky's Happy Wife

Just picked up the 90 minute, should be interesting.

I had a nice day sampling the 60 then 90 then 120. I found the 120 WAY too sweet. i couldn't even pick out hops because the sweetness distracted me. The 60 was pretty good, but the 90 - WOW!
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I have 60 on my kegerator at the beach.
    Dance to the music

Just finished the 90, and wow, to sum it up for someone who hasnt had it. It's intense and very drinkable.

Originally posted by beer surfer
    Just finished the 90, and wow, to sum it up for someone who hasnt had it. It's intense and very drinkable.
    The 90 is my favorite. I also find the 120 to way too sweet.
    "Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire" ~ David Rains Wallace

I'm actually a big fan of the 120 minute, but you need to give it some time to mellow out.

I just picked up a bottle of the World Wide Stout, 18 percent, I can't wait to try it.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    --Ernest Hemingway

Originally posted by HogieWan
    I found the 120 WAY too sweet. i couldn't even pick out hops because the sweetness distracted me.
    I agree with this completely. Ive had the 60 and expected twice as much hops out of the 120. Instead I got sweetness and alcohol. Is it that you can only hop a beer so much before you start chemically altering things that change the taste away from the classic hop taste? Ive always wondered this because it seems these extreme extreme super hopped beers taste less hoppy then a good strong standard IPA.
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

dogfish fan

finally got down to Gaithersburg to sample some tap dogfishes..
    they have a mix of their 60 minute and 90 minute called 75 minute (appropriately).. pretty good stuff of course.
    they didn't have their hop cylinder working though where they filter your beer through a cylinder of fresh hops.. mmmmmm

I have to try DFH beers. Unfortunatly There are no distributers in my stste, yet.

Originally posted by Insidious Rex
    I agree with this completely. Ive had the 60 and expected twice as much hops out of the 120. Instead I got sweetness and alcohol. Is it that you can only hop a beer so much before you start chemically altering things that change the taste away from the classic hop taste? Ive always wondered this because it seems these extreme extreme super hopped beers taste less hoppy then a good strong standard IPA.
    After about 100 IBU, you won't get much more bitterness in a beer, no matter how hard you try. Some folks say you taste buds saturate at about 70 IBU. Claims of much larger IBU numbers are made, but I think they're just measuring what goes in, not what comes out.

Hops, though, are not just about bitterness, so IBUS only tell part of the story. Late hop additions contribute little bitterness, but lots of hop flavor and aroma. To see what can be done with both heavy hops and high ABV, check out beers like Two Brothers Hop Juice ( a new batch should be out soon, wait for it as this beer is best fresh). The sweetness is not out of proportion, and you'll feel the 9.9% ABV more than you taste it. I'm sure there's other beers that are equally high potency and highly hopped, but Hop Juice is the one I've consumed the most often.

AFA as the 120 minute with the 20% ABV, there's no way that you'll get that amount of alcohol into be beer without a load of sugar that doesn't ferment unless you cheat and just dump a bottle of Everclear into the keg. Kudos to DFH for a radical brew, but I think an honestly achieved 20% ABV comes at a real price in drinkability. A small snifter is the way I'd serve it.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

I didn't think the 120 minute, 90 minute etc., referred to IBUs, but something to do with the brewing process. I think I read that the 90 minute topped out in the 70s IBU range.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    --Ernest Hemingway

Actually, I'm wrong. It is the IBUs.
    --Ernest Hemingway

Originally posted by mnstorm99
    I have to try DFH beers. Unfortunatly There are no distributers in my stste, yet.
    What state are you in? Try trading for some.

Cheers!
    A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast