Thread: Old Dusseldorf Beer?

Old Dusseldorf Beer?

When I was growing up in the 80's, one of my favorite TV shows was Magnum P.I. In a few episodes, Magnum talked of his favorite beer "Old Dusseldorf." Does this beer exist? And if so can anyone advise if it is available in the Tampa bay area. One day I will visit Germany, including Dusseldorf and Baden Baden, where my grandparents were from. Thanx all.

Ha ha, I remember that too - an episode where he needed the beer to watch a Tigers or USC game, but couldn't find a six-pack anywhere in the islands. I believe that brew was made up for the show and it doesn't exist.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

IIRC the beer in the show was supposed to have come from Detriot. The idea was he was gathering comfortable things from home to watch a taped Tiger's baseball game (Higgins ruins the score for him in the end).

Jaysus, I can't believe I remembered all of that.

Wow, are you guys kidding me? I can't believe other people have the same useless info stuck in their heads as I do. You really rained on my parade (by telling me Old Dusseldorf didn't exist.). The next thing you guys will tell me is that their is no such beer as Duff (Homer's favorite.) I still can't figure out why my favorite supermarket is always out of it. (It must be some good brew.) Thanx guys.

I remember it too. The now defunct Indianapolis Brewing Company used to brew an amber called "Old Dusseldorf". I'm not sure of the inspiration for the name.
    Next Up: New House Bitter, New Job IPA
    Primary:
    Lagering:
    Kegged:
    Serving: Store bought :(

Originally posted by eddiegordo
    The next thing you guys will tell me is that their is no such beer as Duff
    Not so quick on the Duff- http://www.wisma.com.au/images/col79.jpg

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/t...PILFoxvAus.htm
    (Last I read, some Mexican brewery's trying the same thing).

Rarer and pricier than Westveletern,
    tastes better than Fosters.
    Last edited by jesskidden; 02-12-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Awesome, looks like Duff is alive and well in the country down under. I wonder if the Simpson's creater knew that he was possibly violating international laws by using the Duff name. Also looks like I'm going to have to hit Ebay hard to see if anyone has an "Old Dusseldorf" bottle for sale. It's too bad for "Old Dusseldorf," I once read that Magnum P.I. bosted sales 400 percent for Ferrari North America, after the show hit. Too bad old Dusseldorf counldn't reap the benefits that Ferrari did.

welcome Eddie...

hey, I live up in New Port Richey..maybe B-21 in Tarpon Springs can get it if it does exist.. I know they can order stuff and I will check it out for you.. there is a place called World of Beer in Clearwater on SR60 across from Hooters, you may want to check it out.. I use to watch Magnum PI, but I don't remember that episode and I am a Tiger's fan!! darn