Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Brew?

Community Brew?

How about we come up with a community brew?
    The object here is to see if we can get a recipe worthy of getting into BYO magazine.

First we need to come up with a style.
    Second we need to come into agreement on a recipe.
    Third we should make a duplicate recipe for both all grain and extract brewers.
    Forth we should brew it as a group and report after 2 months how the recipe came out.

What does everyone think?
    Personally I think it makes us more involved as a group.

Maybe we can do one of these brews every two to three months.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Currently in Primary: Not a Thing
    Currently in Secondary: zip
    Bottle Conditioning: nothing
    Currently Drinking:Nada
    What's Next: nothing what so ever

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished....

For those who don't know, I'm also a Luthier.

I just thought of something, why don't we see if we could get a online homebrew supply store to sponcer it?

hey, just a thought.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Originally posted by Otis_The_Drunk
    I just thought of something, why don't we see if we could get a online homebrew supply store to sponcer it?

hey, just a thought.
    If someone wants to send me the grain to brew it, I'm game.
    up next: ESB, lagers
    Fermentation: nothing :(
    Kegged:Liquid Gold DIPA, Obsidian Porter, Obsidian Oak Porter
    Bottled:Shiraz

Otis,

That is a helluva fine idea!

This website is the best thing I have found on the web in years. You all have really built something great here.

I am for it.
    My suggestion would be a Premium American Lager. My reasons are as follows:
    Simple all malt grain bill
    Challenging to brew cleanly
    Good yeasts available.
    It is not the run of the mill popular style amoung homebrewers.

That is my vote.
    Last edited by gestyr; 02-25-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Somewhere on a park bench Godot is waiting on me.

Yes, I do simply walk into Mordor!

Drunken sailors: What do you do with them? Next on The View!

Originally posted by gestyr
    I am for it.
    My suggestion would be a Premium American Lager. My reasons are as follows:
    Simple all malt grain bill
    Challenging to brew cleanly
    Good yeasts available.
    It is not the run of the mill popular style amoung homebrewers.

That is my vote.

That would be a good idea BUT I bet most of us dont have the ability to lager at the correct temps..... I know I dont and would end up with a steam beer lol

Other then that I think a community brew would be excelent and you can count me in.... Would be kinda cool also to mail everyone samples of what you brewed but prolly get stupid expensive to do so..... Would be neat to sample 12 other peoples attempt at the same brew and let them sample yours...
    Michael M

As for a online sponsership, would be cool for them to put the "kit" together once we decided on the recipe and not charge shipping or something as part of the sponsership... I mean sure they wouldnt be making a big profit off it but then again i bet only 6-12 people at a time would actualy do it so they wouldnt really be losing anything either.
    Michael M

Count me in.

I agree with Michael that most home brewers can't lager.

I also think that anything requiring a cereal mash (think Cream Ale or Classic American Pils) can't be done correctly as an extract batch, so that rules them out too.

Since this is the RealBeer site, we should do a Real Ale. Maybe a nice Best Bitter or ESB with all English Malt and Hops and yeast, and a Burton water profile. (I think Richard will be ecstatic).

Obviously, bottle conditioning would qualify it as a Real Ale. However, those that want to take it all the way can Cask condition it. Those that just want to force carb can do that too. Easy to brew, easy to drink. We could even come up with a proper Krausening formulation for those so inclined.

Oh, and we should formulate a Partial mash version in addition to an extract with grains and the AG version.

Thoughts?
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

I agree with the points made about lagering. My second vote would be for a "traditional" cask or bottle conditioned IPA or Pale. Personally I lean towards the IPA. These styles do lend themselves well to extract brewing.
    Somewhere on a park bench Godot is waiting on me.

Yes, I do simply walk into Mordor!

Drunken sailors: What do you do with them? Next on The View!

I'm in. Great idea Otis.

As far as style, I'm not really in favor of an IPA. Its been done to death by homebrewers. I like the idea of the Premium Lager because its kind of a reclaiming of lost territory thing (lost to BMC), but don't like the exclusion of people who can't lager. That leaves me wanting to do something that breaks some new ground and could be our contribution to beer.

To key off BrewDog's comment on a Best Bitter or ESB, I've noted in a couple English Bitter's what I call a "dry maltiness" for lack of a better term (or my lack of knowledge of the right term). It can be melanoidanish or caramelish, but it isn't overly sweet. Its clean, dry, and flavorful. The few American APA's I've tried haven't captured this characteristic and I enjoy it. We could also do it up with American Hops or otherwise to give it more uniqueness.

I'm not sure how well this will work with Extract brewing, but I'll throw it out there for comment. It may be as simple as using some English extract and doing a partial mash with some lightly toasted base malt.

As for sponsorship, I'll bet there is an Online HBS that wouldn't mind selling 100 (or whatever number) duplicate custom kits at a discount with a new recipe on their sale list to boot.
    -
    RDW, the worst that can happen is that you have to actually 'buy' beer.

Drinking: Coal Porter, American Amber
    Primary:
    Secondary: Saison
    Conditioning: Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner Lager
    In queue: Orange Tripel, Imperial Stout, IPA

The problem with lagers is that most do not have the refrigeration required to attempt such a beer.
    But as dparsons points out, IPAs are done to death.
    I'm leaning toward an ESB or an APA.
    These are relatively simple and would be a good thing to help the beginning brewers hone their skills....
    Spring and Summer is coming up we could also think lawnmower beers as well.

I'm thinking we do one of the brews every 3 months... you know a seasonal thing.
    I was noticing that a couple of Homebrewing websites do this. I think it develops a bit of sense of community.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

count me in too. kind of like the realbeer version of the AHA BigBrew day. just more often
    I think any of the more easy drinking styles would be good to start. plus one to help extract brewers more towards adjunct steeping, partial mashing.
    I'm also not a huge fan of IPAs and try to aim for more balance in my beers. hence my vote, if I have one, would be towards milds, ambers, nut browns, etc. altho I am open to experimentation.
    nut brown might work around here, at least my wife thinks I'm nuts.

I'd vote ESB, echoing the comments previously made about lagering ability, cereal mashes, and the spirit of the thing.

I'll say I'm game, but I'm in the process of buying a new house so I don't really know when the next time I can brew will be.
    I'm not a hillbilly, y'all are just Appalachianally Challenged.

I'm in, and I also vote for something along the lines of an ESB.
    keep on truckin'...

Sounds good to me. I brew using the countertop partial mash technique as outlined by Chris Colby. With your input for the recipe adjustments, I could brew it using a mini-mash (4 lbs grain).

Food for thought: Like the copper ale in this month's BYO, is anyone interested in creating a unique style that doesn't fit in an established category? Just something to think about - I'll be down for whatever.
    Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast