Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Brew?

ESB seems to be coming up often and I agree on the style. Next to be decided is OG and IBU ranges [I'd say 1.055-1.060 and 35-40 respectively]. After that is decided, specialty grain percentages and hopping could be discussed.
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

OK then it is decided, We are going to go after an ESB.

So what we need to do not is come up with a recipe.

Are we going to use American 2-row or Maris Otter?

Remember we need a duplicate recipe for the Extract brewers too.

What hop profile do we want?

Which yeast do we want to use?

after that we need to decide which Online Homebrew Supply to contact to make up this community brew... Mind you that AHS only charges $6.00 for shipping.

We have step one out of the way.

Now to step two.

Malt and Hop profile.

Community Brew Spring 2007.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Currently in Primary: Not a Thing
    Currently in Secondary: zip
    Bottle Conditioning: nothing
    Currently Drinking:Nada
    What's Next: nothing what so ever

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished....

For those who don't know, I'm also a Luthier.

I think not specifying the base malt or exact yeast would be beneficial as I hope to exchange bottles of this beer with the few closest brewers or those who used a slightly different set of ingredients. I would expect us to use a "british ale" yeast. There are many strains that would work well for an ESB and also a few different types of base malt that could work or are even available to everyone - not to mention the different brands of extract. Also, too strict of a recipe would limit a lot of knowledge we can gain from this endeavor.

I say we specify an amount of crystal, and other specialty/steepable grains and an OG and let everyone get there with the amount/type of base malt or ectract that they have or their equiptment/efficiency allows. Also, a few suggestions on yeast strains from all the major labs would work well.

also I think 2 per year is a good number - too many and I won't be able to get my own recipes tried out, but we need a summer and a winter recipe.

Now that I think of it, another "special" recipe that may not get as much participation may also work. We could use that to try different brewing techniques - dry hopping, first wort hopping, mash hopping, sour mashing, different rests (acid, protien) decoction mashes, longer boils, super high gravities, etc.

Originally posted by HogieWan
    I say we specify an amount of crystal, and other specialty/steepable grains and an OG and let everyone get there with the amount/type of base malt or ectract that they have or their equiptment/efficiency allows. Also, a few suggestions on yeast strains from all the major labs would work well.
    OK Yeah, I see your point Hogie, So we could use any base malt we want.
    But if we are going to get a homebrew supply house to make this stuff up for us we can get the consistency we want as far as grain and/or Malt Extract.

Now that is out of the way, how much and what kind of adjunct malts do we want.

Personally for a malty background I'm starting to like Cara malts a bit better. Color can be adjusted with a couple of ounces either dark malts (chocolate or black patent) or crystal malts.

anyway lets discuss the pro's and cons of different adjunct malts right here.
    then we can go to step 3, and figure out a hop profile.

Step 4 we discuss the pro's & con's of the yeast we want to use with for this brew.

Step five we make a separate thread and post the respective recipes.
    That way in that thread we can all post procedure, notes ect.
    and then we can have a mass tasting for this brew and compare notes.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Danno, can we have this thread stickyed?
    Toxic Waste Brewery

on the grains too, we'll need to standardize on an efficiency. Like BYO uses 65%. If this is going to be a kit and the grain amounts are fixed, then we'll get the range of colors and abv, gravities, etc because of the differences in efficiency.
    Otherwise, we can figure out some grains and let people put together the ingredients from their lhbs and they can adjust amounts to hit a given OG target

just for reference, a quick copy n paste from BJCP guide for ESB

OG 1.048 - 1.060+
    FG 1.010 - 1.016
    IBUs 30 - 50+
    SRM 6 - 18
    ABV 4.6 - 6.2%

Last edited by paulcgi; 02-26-2007 at 02:16 PM.

I just got off the phone with Austin Homebrew Supply and they like the idea.
    I even had asked if they would cut us a deal on it since it would be a community effort.

I talked to both the owner and the manager of AHS.

So we are a go on this. I told them to give us a week and I would come up with what we want.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

it's sticky-d.

just a thought, but why don't we let everyone come up with their own recipes, brew and bottle them, and then send out a couple of bottles to, say, three other brewers, so everyone can have something to compare? we can use this thread for a combination of recipes, reviews, and everything... we have a style, we can agree on the specific style guidelines (I'd say to just use the BJCP guidelines, but I'm biased there...), and we can share our recipes and methods to each other. I'm not suggesting a contest, but an opportunity for people to share what happens when other people do different things to the same basic idea (er, style...)

edit: I was writing this while Otis was writing his post. honestly, I'm not going to buy a kit from AHS, because I have a bag of MO in my garage and I drive within a couple miles of NB almost every day. I have no problem using a specific recipe, but I'll be buying my own ingredients... (I'd still like everyone to think about designing their own recipes, otherwise this will turn into a loooong thread discussing minutae of crystal 120 amounts...)
    keep on truckin'...

If one of the goals is to get the recipe in BYO, I think we will probably have to specify the type and amounts of the recipe components. Those members who want to compose a variation on the theme recipe will be more readily able to do so if they know the exact constituents of the base recipe. These members can then specify how they changed the base recipe (different hops, mash temp., yeast, etc.). Also, I, like many intermediate brewers, get very frustrated, because although I have been brewing awhile, I rarely seem to brew something that hits on all cylinders. If we are working from a common recipe, intermediate and beginners are going to be able to learn from our advanced members and cure some of our faults.

The idea of aiming for a "dry maltiness" seems excellent because it allows us to focus on what we are trying to attain in ESB-land. From a selfish perspective, I'd like to see Maris Otter specified. In my barley ales I have used 2-row, 6-row, and Belgian base malts, but not the Maris Otter.

55-60 for original gravity and 35-40 for IBUs sounds good. As to hops, EKG? As to the yeast, if we are going for a dry maltiness are we looking at a 12-14 ending gravity? So do we back-calculate to get the kind of yeast that will lend itself to that attenuation? Also, what kind of specialty grains do we use? Crystal (degrees L?) and some type of biscuit/toasted barley (if home toasted, then how long?)?

Hops?
    Yeast?
    Grains?
    Burton water? (how do we get there?)
    Mash Temp?
    Length of Mash?
    Boil time?
    Ferm temp?
    Length in secondary?
    Hopping Schedule?
    Yeast?

This is going to be both fun and tasty.

Either way, works for me...

I have noticed that sometimes when people use the same basic recipe that there tends to be very different results.

But if that is the way we want to do it, that's ok too.
    If we use the same recipe we get a deal on the ingredients from a supplier and it gets them to work closely with the Homebrewing community. It's a win/win situation for the Homebrewers and the homebrew suppliers.

Good for us because we get off cheaper due to this being a special promotion from the supplier and good for them because it gives them more exposure.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

I dont see any reason why you can't do it both ways. Come up with a kit from austin (or whatever) but specify here what those ingredients are. Then for those who have stocks of grains, they can try to match the recipe as closely as they can. This also would lead to some great comparisons for those who exchange brews.
    let's say that you use MO, but since I have a couple bags of IdaPils sitting around, I can substitute that. If everything else is the same we'd have a good comparison for not only our techniques, but also for what difference we get switching MO out for something really light like idapils. most any of the other crystals etc are going to be easily available along with black patent because those amounts should be relatively small

That would work, I'm just trying to figure out how we can pull this off.
    Danno, since you are a BJCP Recognized Judge, do you want to do some of the tasting and evaluation on this?

(BTW thank you for putting this into a sticky.)

But so far I got a go ahead from Austin Homebrew Supply.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

I agree ESB as well. For malt, I'd strongly go with Marris Otter, then Brit pale ale, but this leaves the extract guys behind.....

edit: hmmm...I have ALOT of 2 row, so I really should use that....
    Last edited by Mad Scientist; 02-26-2007 at 03:10 PM.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

I like using AHS and I'm happy they are on board, but I just got a bunch of belgian pale ale malt (which is basically the same a s the british, but made in belgium), so that's what I would use. I also have a large amount of british crystal 60, so I will use as much of that as I can.

I say we specify a narrow range for OG, FG, IBU and color as well a few very similar yeasts. Maybe limit the specialty grains to a few types as well. Then we can agree on a hop schedule (since everyone can get very similar hops) and we can see how diferent the brews come out with the few variables left.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast