Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

Curse of the reverse beer snob.

We're all here because we appreciate good brews. Yes, there are some of us, or perhaps we know some who aren't members here, who are beligerent and overbearing with their love of better beer - and let's face it, that's annoying. Yes, I understand that we should support the little guy and not the huge megacongloms, and I know that the more people who drink good stuff, the easier it will be for me to enjoy it at my favorite establishments. But nobody likes someone who crams any opinion, be it philosophical, religious, political, or, in this case, beer-related, down their throats.
    However, I've noticed an equally irritating creature - the reverse beer snob. Those who sneer with contempt at those of us pretentious enough to enjoy actually tasting what we put in our faces. Those who have some sort of incomprehensible air of superiority because they're a "simple man, who likes a simple beer." The jerk-offs who are actually offended when you show up with your own six pack instead of swallowing that piss-yellow liquid from their kegger out of a styrofoam cup.
    And even stranger, the worst reverse snobs argue over which schwill is better - and they will scream over the superiority of Michelob over Miller Lite!

Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Have you witnessed these twits? How do you deal with them?
    "That John Cusack is the thinking
    man's Matthew Broderick."

Jesus Christ, Brewdepest, what brought this on? I do have to agree with you, though, about the existence of the beer snob that you refer to. And I will agree with you further that it is, indeed, extremely annoying (the-only-opinion-that-matters-is-mine, and-I-am-better-than-you attitude). I can't say though, that I have ever had contact with the "reverse" beer snob. I can tell you that the way that I deal with the regular beer snob is to simply ignore them and walk away. I am at a point in my life where I simply do not have the time or desire to waste my time listening to these jerk-offs banter. So, I ignore them and walk away. I refuse to play these idiots' games and get reeled into a one-sided argument where I know damn well that my opinions are going in one ear and out the other. I have better things to do, and I am not going to get suckered into getting my blood pressure up and trying to hammer home a point about good ale to someone who, in reality, really could care less what I think.

How do you deal with them?
    If usually offer some of my quality brew. After they turn it down, I just shrug and think to myself "good, I didn't want to part with it anyway."

I've taken some light hearted teasing about bringing my own 6-pack to a kegger, but i've never really had any hostility from them. I don't down their beer... i just don't drink any of it.
    "Don't drink and drive... Freeze your beer and eat it"

Re: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

Originally posted by Brewdepest
    Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Have you witnessed these twits? How do you deal with them?
    Yes I know what you're talking about. I have witnessed them and their arguments. The way I have dealt with it is this:

Walk into a party carrying a 6 of my beer. Take a ration of $h!t from the host about his beer not being good enough for me. Tell him that life is too short to drink beer I don't enjoy. I appreciate him throwing a party and inviting me but I prefer to drink what I brought. Take even more $h!t about me being a beer snob. Kindly thank the host again and go home to enjoy my evening with my beer.
    Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to use sarcasm.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/ressa7ry/mikesbewhouse/

Originally posted by fuji6100
    I don't down their beer... i just don't drink any of it.
    That's usually my behavior, I never approach anyone (unless it's a friend) about the beer they're drinking, I usually get approached by that reverse snob, "Oh, you're one of *them,* MGD's not good enough for you?" Whereupon I usually tell them that I don't like MGD, have they ever tried what *I'm* dinking? Of course they haven't and mumble on about yuppy, trendy drinks - but I'm usually ignoring them by that point.

I'm vocal in my beer opinion here because we're all here to talk about beer - it's the release I don't get at my local, and can usually only get at brew-pubs and beer bars where people like good beer and like talking about it.

Beer snob? Probably, if prompted. But I back it with fact and experience. Life's too short to drink bad beer.

S.

S.F.B., I never have any of that kind of trouble at parties - my friends and co-workers know that I drink "strange and obscure" beers, in fact - many of them do too. So when I'm invited to a party, everyone wants to see what I'm drinking.
    Last edited by steveh; 10-28-2003 at 06:38 PM.

You know, reading your post made me think of a commercial that I just saw the other day. It's for Coors and/or Coors Light, and it actually states several times that "Real Men drink Real Beer". Uh huh. That pisses me off more than anything - whether it be the big brewers or the "simple man" jackass you described - when the premeditated defense against craft beer is to pull the "real men" or "simple men" or whatever to drink Bud/Miller/Coors. It really is ignorance, fear of the unknown, or cursing the darkness, as I like to say.

I usually defend the larger craft brewers (Sam Adams, NB's Fat Tire, etc.) on this great site, because in my mind those who are successful shouldn't be penalized for becoming popular. I also like to support the regional brewers, even those who brew pseudo-craft beer, and sometimes adjunct lagers (Yuengling, Straub, and Point come to mind). I will, however, be the first in line to rail against the big three, if for no other reason than to protest their shameful business tactics.

In the end, other than the big three in my mind, drink whatever you like, whatever makes you happy - and most importantly, be open-minded and tolerant of others, whether it's a huge hop and malt orgy of an IPA, or a subtle lager.

OK, I'll get off my pedestal now...

I've run across the reverse beer-snob, but then I live in a semi-rural community in the west. Noone ever seems too mean spirited about it, but I have gotten comments about drinking a man's beer instead of that foamy black stuff (Guinness). Of course sometimes I have to drink plain old macros if I end up at certain of the bars in town with friends. So... I guess it depends on where you live and eho you interact with.

M

I have on occassion run into the reverser and more than once I've won. I nearly always manage to talk them into trying my beer(straight from my glass - few people have cooties) - but one sip is not enough you have to have two good pulls on it. The first taste, I explain, is to get your bearings. The second taste is to really taste the beer. On the second taste I usually point out something about the beer like "notice the bitter on the end" or "can you taste all of that malt?" - that kind of thing. I've converted at least a couple of guys that way. Most are just like "Oh yeah, but I really don't like that taste of "X""(X is bitter or hops or alcohol or fruity or etc).

Funny thing is, later on, many of them will at least partially defend you drinking it, in my experience, because now they know something about it.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Guinness is fine with me but please, leave the miller in the fridge.

. Those who have some sort of incomprehensible air of superiority because they're a "simple man, who likes a simple beer."
    Yea, ive seen the reverese beer snob. People that get offended when you don't drink their heineken or budweiser, "What our beer isn't good enough for you?" Damn straight its not! Now ill be in the corner drinking something that I don't have to aquire the skill of choking down, more mass produced piss for you, arn't cha happy... Id rather hang out with a total beer snob then the opposite, at least were gonna be drinking good beer if any at all.
    "We can't run from who we are, our destiny chooses us." Rounders-

Great topic Brewdepest! I know very well I am guilty of being a snob. My friends and family all know that my life has been a quest for good beer and that it is my compulsion. Many bring me beers they find when they travel. Lots ask my opinion about which beer to serve when they are planning a party. All know not to bring crap into my house. And most drink good beer themselves. I know it might seem hard to believe based on my postings on this board, but I do try not to pontificate or preach to my associates and family. They all accept me as an ultra beer nerd and not a beer nazi (I hope!). I think I know the reverse types but have not run into one in a long while. My beer discussions of late have been in the beer store comparing notes with other shoppers about which beers we have tried and which we would recommend to each other.

I have not had too many ecounters with a mean reverse snob. Some of my hockey buddies would give me agood natured ribbing about bringing a glass to drink out of instead of the bottle. Some of these guys have started down the path to better beer,

I did get a good I told you so once. I was telling this group how different shaped glasses can affect the taste of beer. I told them some styles were meant to be had in certain glassware. They laughed at me. That week, a beer writer for our paper did a story about matching your beer to the right glass. They no longer question my statements about beer. They probably should, but I am not going to tell them.

Talking

I enjoy the brewing and drinking what I brew...other peoples opinions don't bother me.

I rarely buy beer anymore..only when I mess up and run out of my stuff.

I feel that people who limit themselves to one beer forever are missing a lot in the world as far as experiencing various things.

i have a few people in mind here....my uncle wont touch my beer...well sometimes i can get him to sip it and tell me how nasty he thinks it is ,but he won't put me down about my beer. the people i keep company with respect me and my choices , if they didn't i wouldn't keep them around me. but they usually don't ridicule me. my brother in law loves his bud light, never ridicules me about what i drink so i guess he's the better man, and im the snob , cuz i always give him a hard time. but latley he's been diggin on the hef from widmer , im starting him with baby steps here, he's a potential convert.
    okay im babbling here, i've found the best way to deal with a reverse beer snob is to crush them with knowledge! ask them if they even really know what beer is and how it's made, what adjuncts are, the history of beer. lagers are fairly new to the beer family, so how he hell do they know what real beer is if they don't even know what their drinking? ask them if they even know what makes a lager a lager..eg what the differance between lagers and ales...ect. knowledge is power!!!
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

Re: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

Originally posted by Brewdepest
    Those who have some sort of incomprehensible air of superiority because they're a "simple man, who likes a simple beer." The jerk-offs who are actually offended when you show up with your own six pack instead of swallowing that piss-yellow liquid from their kegger out of a styrofoam cup.
    IMHO, the responsibility of the host of a party is to have more than enough decent beer for everyone. So if I have a party, I make sure there's more than enough Sam, Bass, whatever for everyone.
    The guests' job is to show up with something different-- unusual or rare or expensive-- but only in small batches-- a six or so.
    If I'm really friends with someone, and they have a keg of Bud, I'm good for the party-- but I'll bring something better. And I'm never the only person that winds up drinking my six-pack....

Originally posted by hops99
    You know, reading your post made me think of a commercial that I just saw the other day. It's for Coors and/or Coors Light, and it actually states several times that "Real Men drink Real Beer". Uh huh. That pisses me off more than anything
    Oh yeah, that's rich!

For example: Here, "big man," try this on for size - what is it? It's Sierra Nevada Big Foot, it's called a Barley Wine. What? Little too much for you? Here, wash it down with this Spaten Optimator -- oh, I'm sorry, you can't taste your Colorado Kool-Aid any more? You mean you *could* taste it before?

Puh - lease. "Real beer."

S.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast