Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

well welcome aboard watermelonman!
    escaped riverside? i was always quite fond of it.

Too bad one of their waitresses stole a computer from me
    well thats why your not suppose to take them home with you!
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

Originally posted by hopjack13
    well welcome aboard watermelonman!
    escaped riverside? i was always quite fond of it.

well thats why your not suppose to take them home with you!
    Well, I was going to school there, so I suppose it was more like escaping UCR than the actual town. None the less, I'm glad to be home again (SF area).

whats this about beer snobs. i thought drinking real ale made us all equal

It does, It does! Now we're all snobs or the reverse.

Some people only drink what they THINK is beer, however... This concept gives rise to the phrase "All beer drinkers are equal... but some are more equal than others."

Really, though, if you like to drink it, it's fine with me. I'm going to do everything in my power to get you to come over to the dark side, but if it's not for you, then that's fine. Beer is to be enjoyed first and foremost, and argued over by the snobs only. If you're not a snob, consider it a blessing, and enjoy whatever you're drinking.
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Smile Beer Snobs

I think people should drink whatever beer they like. Including the "BIG THREE". Why drink smoething that to you at least, tastes like pisswater? I also believe we who have discovered how GOOD beer really can be, owe it to our less traveled friends to enlighten them. So, let them drink Bud Light if they like that stuff. (Good slug poison in the flower beds) But be ready to present them with a good transition beer (Sam Adams Lager) etc. Soon, we'll have another convert to good beer. Just be ready with the homebrew, because in my experience, you will have trouble keeping up with demand.
    Beer...The bedrock of civilization.

Welcome to the board ZSK.

Thanks Chazwicke. Been here before, just haven't been back for awhile. Besides, the topic was too good to pass up!
    Beer...The bedrock of civilization.

There those on both sides of this fence.

Some who think "if you ain't drinkin Bud, you ain't shoodus."
    Then there are those who think, " I have 3 bottles of Ole Swillerator Organic Barley wine I am saving for that special occassion."

Personally, I could give a rat's ass about either one of these opinions.
    This beer is going down my throat, not your's.

What's one man's trash, is another man's treasure.
    I've seen better looking hops on a one-legged rabbit..

Interesting topic!!

I am with most people in the sense that I prefer not to be looked at as a beer snob because I like to drink good beer, but this makes me examine the definition of beer snob. I don't think a beer snob is just someone who exclusively drinks fancy beer, but could be defined as someone who doesn't allow others to enjoy their mainstream beer when applicable. If you're going to the party with your six pack, but letting others freely down mass quantities of Miller Lite without too much grief over the matter, then I'd say you're not a beer snob. Drink and let drink?? Eh, that may be a stretch.

The only cheap beer that I just cannot drink, and would make me drink water instead, or even leave the party, and return with better beer is Miller Lite. I can get Bud/Coors Light down if it's what's being offered to me, or if I'm in some situation in which I've paid for it, such as an open bar that only has cheap beer, then I can again, deal with it. (Assuming there's no liquor.) But, in the case of Miller Lite, I'll just have water, or something non-beer.

A while back, for three years in a row, I went to a New Year's Eve banquet with my wife, my brother, and his wife, at different locations, and despite the facilities' flyers, and staff boasting "Very, VERY high end open bar," we were disappointed each year to find that the only beer choices were bottled Miller Lite, or MGD. Some argue that an alleged top-shelf bar doesn't have to include good beer, but I think it should!!

Here's another question:

I really like a lot of the bigger label imports (although, many are being produced in the US now,) so does that put me in the same boat as Miller/Coors/Bud folks that get ripped on here?? I like to drink stuff like Franziskaner, Hoegaarden, Hofbrau, pretty much any kind of Beck's, Bitburger, Warsteiner, Guinness, Bass, Harp, Labatt Blue, Modelo, Carlsburg, Peroni, Julius Echter, and my two newest favorites: Kronenbourg 1664, both the regular, and especially the Blanc!! So, in their home countries, these beers are quite mainstream, so here, in the US, where these beers are all readily available, is this considered the same as swilling down Miller Lite, only imported??

I've actually wondered that for years, because, dare I say it.....I'm not huge into craft beers, but I love to try different imports all the time, from all over the world. In light of this new development, do I still belong in the club??

Thanks!!

wow nice ten year old bump.

Im thinking the actual definitions have changed some in the past 10 years or so. Craft beer is so ubiquitous now and is playing such a larger roll in terms of market influence and socially (most kids under 30 have never experienced a time when trying to find a craft beer was like trying to find a pot of gold) that beer snobbery is much more prevelant and is an issue WITHIN craft beer culture and not just a good beer drinker versus a bad beer drinker phenomenon anymore. Theres no several levels of beer snobs. The IPA newbie who thinks drinking anything else makes you a wimp and who thinks all lagers are like bud, the horder who lives his whole life tracking down whales by any means necessary so he can rub them under everyones noses but never drinks or shares them, and of course the classic snob who has turned beer drinking into wine drinking and drops names like he's best friends with all the brewers and insists you dont have a clue unless you are drinking the worlds rarest double sour barrel aged barleywine brewed by belgian gnomes only on christmas eve by candle light in vats of 30 oz a piece. And when you finally try that one they insist oh that beer was so last week. And theres others but you get the idea. Craft beer culture has evolved and expanded rapidly and with it you have more ass hats as with anything that becomes more popular.

As to your question, I dont think you should worry about coming off as a "miller light guy" for drinking those beers you list. I am a beer geek and I will always love a good Guinness no matter how many beer snobs tell me its not worth the effort of drinking it since its basically a light beer. Screw them. I dont buy beer simply based on the ABV alone and if you cant get drunk drinking guinness you arent trying hard enough anyway. The only two beers from that list I would call "bad" are Modelo and maybe Labatt Blue. But who cares. Drink what works for you. Franziskaner is a great beer. As is most Hofbrau beer and Hoegaaden is always a good fall back. A lot of those beers you name, although not classic "bad beers", get complaints because they have been purchased by InBev or other giant corporations that tend to slash personnel from the original brewery and a lot of people fear they tamper with the formula to make it cheaper to produce. I know I love me some Spaten but I hear from a lot of folks that its "just not the same" since 2003 when they were absorbed by InBev (or whatever they were called in 2003). I dont know. I still like the taste of a lot of their product and will continue to drink it even if german beer snobs look down on it now. Heck I will go out and buy a case of Miller High Life once in a while during the summer because its my bad beer of choice. Whats interesting is that you know have a third phenomenon (in addition to beer snob and reverse beer snob) which consists of people who used to be bad beer swillers out of lack of funds or lack of availability that then got into craft beer but still are nostalgic about certain bad beers. I definitely fit that bill. I wont be drinking any bud light or or miller lite or similar but High Life and Schaefer and Old Style, etc. get my attention and make me feel like my dad. Go figure...
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

Sweet limerick!!

Wow. Rereading this thread, it is funny how times and attitudes have changed. Even amongst the "big three," who are all now trying to find the "craft" beer that will help them hold onto a market share that they see gradually slipping through their fingers. And of course, since the original posting of this thread, one major change that took place was the buy out of AB by InBev, which has led to the "imports" BoToole mentions being manufactured in the US. A lot can happen in little over a decade.

It was also bittersweet to read over a thread that included so many of the forum members that once made this such an active, not to mention "go to place" for all things beer related, participating in it. Many of those folks helped me refine and redefine my attitudes toward beer. I miss those days.

And now to the topic of Guinness. Insidious, isn't one of the best reasons to drink it is that it is, calorie wise, in fact pretty close to a light beer that, to borrow from the old Lite commercials, is "less filling, tastes great?"
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

I do enjoy a Guiness once in a while, and usually for that very reason. These days, I do get "full" more often than not just from drinking a beer or two, and sometimes it's enough to end my night!! I just start feeling terrible, and just can't seem to loose that stomach about to split open with carbonation feeling, but, this never happens with Guinness!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456