Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

Originally posted by steveh
    Oh yeah, that's rich!

For example: Here, "big man," try this on for size - what is it? It's Sierra Nevada Big Foot, it's called a Barley Wine. What? Little too much for you? Here, wash it down with this Spaten Optimator -- oh, I'm sorry, you can't taste your Colorado Kool-Aid any more? You mean you *could* taste it before?

Puh - lease. "Real beer."

S.
    Hehe - I never thought of giving barley wine to swill drinkers. It's both a funny and malevolent idea.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

I have never come accross the reverse snob. I guess the people I hang out with, even the staunchest swill drinkers, never really care what someone else is drinking. I have found that most swill drinkers are not so into beer that they feel the need to defend their beer. They are not drinking beer for posterity sake, just to catch a buzz. I will usually take a sixer to a party, but when it is done, I almost always drink what is offered at the party. I have a friend who is a sales manager for a Bud distributor. When I go to her house, I am welcome to bring my own beer, because I know she will have nothing but AB products. I don't blame her, it is her job. Since it came out, she has made it a point to have Michelob Amber Boch on hand when I come over. I know most here don't like it, but for a night of partying, I don't mind it. Most of my firends prefer to dring good beer anymore, but for a night of wild partying, there is often cheap beer there. Lately, we have been able to get 12 packs of SN Pale Ale here for $10. There has been a lot of that going around. Most often the "cheap" beer at our parties is Labatte's Blue, or Leinekugel's. Either one I will drink in excess.
    I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson

I don't run into the reverse beer snob that takes a vehement stand against micros. I occasionally get a bit of a ribbing, mostly from my brother, when I show up with my own, but most people I know expect it from me. I have a couple of freinds that "drink the lowest common denominator". When they come over my house, they bring the good stuff. When they go to other friends, it's macros.

Personally, I choose not to do that, but my circle of friends has a pretty tolerable co-existence.
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

I guess my local might be why I see some semi-beligerent reverse snobs. I never give anyone crap for what they drink until they make a poke at me - and it's almost always just playful ribbing.
    However, it seems like I can't go to my favorite liquor without some body, be it redneck or ghettofabulous frat boy, sneering at me as I fork out five bucks for one bottle when he's getting a sixer for half of that. To some people around here, drinking a non-Macro associates you with being a "hippie," which is a word that is spoken with the same inflection and venom as the "n" word in Southern Indiana.
    It's not that I have some pretentious idea of superiority for what I drink. I'll defend the virtues of Pabst till the death - and I know to some on here that's blasphemy. In fact, to most reverse-beer snobs that's blasphemy, too.
    If you're sucking down an MGD, how can you knock someone for chugging for a Schlitz?
    That's another weird part of it - the arguments I've seen the reverse snobs have when comparing macros. Coors vs. Bud. Bud vs. Miller. Miller vs. Michelob. Everyone vs. Busch, even Bud people, which confuses me. It IS Budweiser owned! I don't even want to discuss those wacky Lite vs. original arguments I witness as a child between the adults of my home town. "Great taste vs. less filling?" At that age, I couldn't even comprehend what "less filling" meant.
    "That John Cusack is the thinking
    man's Matthew Broderick."

To each his own...

I am most definitely a certifiable beer snob when it comes to what I drink and what people drink in my house. That being said I firmly belive that there is a place for all styles including the American standards. If you want to drink that rice pop go right ahead; doesn't bother me.

What I do have a problem with however, are breweries and brewpubs that claim to, or appear to put out products that should fall in the craft brewing category and really put out kegs of crap!

Imagine being a first timer that picks up something that calls itself an Abbey Double and what you get is infected or not even close to the real style. That's what pisses me off. Don't pretend to offer a superior product and then put out crap!

I think I need a beer.
    Beer is my Co-pilot

i think i'll join you
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

Re: To each his own...

Originally posted by beerbastard
    [
    What I do have a problem with however, are breweries and brewpubs that claim to, or appear to put out products that should fall in the craft brewing category and really put out kegs of crap!

. [/B]
    I agree with this. Many brewpubs put out very generic beers to appeal to the same people who are drinking the macros. Maybe no adjuncts but certainly not a lot of taste either. Most of these brewpubs are more restraunts with a brewery gimmick. I have even been to some brewpubs that serve draught macro beer right along side their own beers. Whats up with that? I have no problem with brewpubs having "Guest taps" but selling the swill and even allowing it to compete with their own beers? Wierd!

I have also been in brewpubs where the wait staff was severely uneducated about their own beers.

Re: Reverse Beer Snob

I haven't run into one yet ... hope I never do. What I have encountered though is people calling me "hardcore" for bringing my own glassware. I attended a beer festival held in conjuction with a mountain bike race in Leavenworth, WA this past summer. I knew from previous experience that all they had for cups was plastic. I just think that beer tastes better out of glass so I made sure to bring my own.

I do try to get friends to try something different that "cheap" beer but I hope that I don't come across as a beer snob. In the end, drink what you choose to ... only I won't be drinking macros if I have a choice.
    Hey ... what's that clear thing at the bottom of my pint?

wow!! what a fantastic idea! im going to start bringing my own glasswear to microfests!

Re: Re: To each his own...

[i]Originally posted by chazwicke
    I have also been in brewpubs where the wait staff was severely uneducated about their own beers. [/B]
    I hear you. I like to test them by pretending to know nothing about a certain beer and some of the explanations I get are damn comical, which is a shame really.

Never really have run into a reverse, but my family is the closest I think I'll come. They all grew up on farms and the prefered beer there is Old Mil. I am going to get them tho! Going up to Canada next summer and gonna bring up some barleywine and a 1.095 big beer that I came up with. Gonna watch those old guys get bombed! HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Re: Re: Re: To each his own...

Originally posted by jsmurphy
    I hear you. I like to test them by pretending to know nothing about a certain beer and some of the explanations I get are damn comical, which is a shame really.
    sounds funny though, i once aked about a karl struass beer at one of their thingys and she said "it's a dark beer".....ooookay

hey murph what happend to lucky baldwins?

How about when you ask the server what beers they have and they go through the whole list of macros and never even mention their own beer.

yeah they always start out with...."we have bud,miller,coors,coors lite" wtf would i be at a brew pub for if i just wanted a macro?
    at the riverside brewing co.(who's beer is just half ass okay)
    if you order a bud they ring this loud bell behind the bar to which you will get boo'd by most of the customers.
    Last edited by hopjack13; 10-30-2003 at 10:26 AM.

I think that is a good reward for ording bud. But If I owned a brewpub, I would only serve my own and perhaps other brewpub guest beers.( And of course any casks I could bring in from the UK.)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast