Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

cask beer.....from the uk??? out here in socal your dreaming.
    most people don't even know what cask is. there are two place's out here that serve cask that i know of and they're both in brea, b.j.'s and taps thats becuase they're always competing with one another . but the beer sits for weeks before they put on a new one, how long will beer last in a firkin once it's cracked?
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

Originally posted by chazwicke
    How about when you ask the server what beers they have and they go through the whole list of macros and never even mention their own beer.

alarm bells go off in my head when this happens!

("our beer sucks!" "our beer sucks!")
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Re: Re: Re: Re: To each his own...

Originally posted by hopjack13
    hey murph what happend to lucky baldwins? [/B]
    What do you mean?

at the riverside brewing co.(who's beer is just half ass okay)
    if you order a bud they ring this loud bell behind the bar to which you will get boo'd by most of the customers.
    I LIKE it!!

I'm gonna suggest that at my local brew-pubs! I hate seeing a table full'a Miller Lites when there's so much better to be had!

S.

how long will beer last in a firkin once it's cracked?
    The local joint I was telling you about, over at Annoncements and Feedback, can't seem to keep a cask on long enough to see if it gets old!

BTW, the name of the place? The Firkin.

S.

Here's an approach I've used a few times with some success when dealing with "reverse beer snobs" (beer dunces? beer Cletus?) Most of them are die hard defenders of thier macro beers, and usually they are also believers in the "keep it local" theory when spending money, i.e. they will buy their hardware from the local hardware store instead of Home Depot, they buy their bathroom stuff from the local drug store instead of Wal-Mart. So I use this and tell them, I know you don't like the beer I do, but why not buy a beer that's brewed locally and keep your money in the area. I live near Minneapolis, so I can alway tell them, why not try a Grain Belt or a Schmidt? There's no possible way these beers could offend you, plus your helping the blue collar workers at the local breweries, plus the farmers in the MN, WI, ND area who grow the barley and the workers at the malt houses in MN and WI...that has actually worked a few times and it's at least gotten their firm grip off the bottle of Lite. Then maybe since they've drank another brand, they are willing to try other styles...baby steps here, but it's worth it. You can't be condecending and if they refuse, don't give them a hard time. The next time they are at the bar (either with or without you) they might try it. I've seen it work.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To each his own...

Originally posted by jsmurphy
    What do you mean?
    the socal gathering on the 16th.... didn't see you there....? of course im not sure i met everyone that was there..

The local joint I was telling you about, over at Annoncements and Feedback, can't seem to keep a cask on long enough to see if it gets old!
    i don't know....california is
    *supposed* to be the trend setter for the rest of the nation but when it comes to beer i think were last in line.
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

when it comes to beer i think were last in line.
    Try getting good beer in Georgia. Most good micros don't ship to us because demand is too low. We only have a handfull of microbreweries, and they are all based in Atlanta amidst the hustle, bustle, traffic, and aggrivation of the city.

Even beer brewed in Atlanta isn't sold around here (Augusta, a mere 140 miles due East of Atlanta) so if I want something brewed at Red Brick or Dogwood I pretty much have to go to Atlanta to get it.
    "Don't drink and drive... Freeze your beer and eat it"

Real Beer

I know these people. They live in my neighborhood. They're everywhere and they expect that you'll drink anything handed to you, whether in a foam cup, bottle, or (ick) can.

I no longer take a bunch of crap from friends, family, nor in-laws, because they know that I am not going to change my tastes.

My uncle Csaba makes his own beer and wine, so he loves the stuff I bring around. We often compare recipes and he always has something with which to surprise me.

One of my best friends was a diehard A-B man, until I took him to Schlafly's Tap Room for an Imperial. He's been a homebrewer since.

My in-laws are all drinkers of A-B, Natural Lite, et. al. However, they now respect my refusal to settle for less tasteful beer. I can usually count on a six-pack of Bass whenever they know I'm coming.

My wife was a strict Bud Lite drinker, until I offered her a drink from my Grolsch. She has never drank another A-B product.

For the rest of them, I have devised a pretty simple formula.

When I am asked, "What, our beer's not good enough for you?"

I respond, simply, "No, it isn't."

This usually raises a few eyebrows and sometimes gets me a mean stare, but no fights have yet ensued. I always offer the individual a pull off my own. Some will try it, some won't.

Of those who will at least try it, about half will start his own journey into the realm of beer with flavor and body.

For those other poor souls stuck in American Mass-Produced Beer Hell, oh well. It's their choice and if my choice makes me a beer snob, so be it.

I like your tactic Ron. And welcome to the board.

I would rather drink most American mass produced beer than Grolsch. Flavor is nice, but not when it is the flavor of a skunk's ass.
    I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson

Schlafly

Ron, you mentioned the Tap Room in St. Louis. Do you live in that area? I've always thought Schlafly's beers are underrated - and their "Hop in the City" festival every September is top notch.

BTW, Welcome aboard!

Originally posted by steveh
    Oh yeah, that's rich!

For example: Here, "big man," try this on for size - what is it? It's Sierra Nevada Big Foot, it's called a Barley Wine. What? Little too much for you? Here, wash it down with this Spaten Optimator -- oh, I'm sorry, you can't taste your Colorado Kool-Aid any more? You mean you *could* taste it before?

Puh - lease. "Real beer."

S.

Beautiful.....

I know guys that swear by "ice" beers because "they're higher in alcohol, really pack a punch, get ya drunk faster" ...might as well just suck back some vodka, save even more time.

My father-in-law drinks Miller Lite...won't touch that "bitter sh!!" that I drink. The funny part is, he rants if someone gives him a Lite that's not ice cold because "warm beer tastes like p!$$"...No, warm MILLER tastes like...well, you know. I've actually witnessed him putting ice cubes in his lite because it wasn't cold enough; kind of like using milk as an ice cream topping.

Most of my friends and close relatives (the ones I drink with) like real beer, those that don't are always curious to see what I am drinking; live and let live....

While I'm at it...if a brew pub brings me a frosted mug, I know I won't be there long....

Originally posted by BluesHarp
    While I'm at it...if a brew pub brings me a frosted mug, I know I won't be there long....
    The Ram in Wheeling, IL (there's one in Schaumburg too - I think you passed on that one) did that to me! I asked them what was up with it and the 'tender says, "We do that all the time, everyone wants their beer cold." I told her that you couldn't taste beer when it was cold and she gave me that confused, tilted head look. :/

Their beer was unimpressive anyway, I haven't been back since.

I love it when you get "that look" from a 'tender in a bar when you ask for a NON chilled glass. Oh yeah, I've seen the ice in the Lite move - cracks me up.

S.

Originally posted by BluesHarp
    Even worse, when you're in any place that gives you a frosted mug/glass, and after you finish, they give you a new fresh frosted mug, like they're doing you a favor. Um, just use the one I got to the right temperature, please...
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast