Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Curse of the reverse beer snob.

Re: Schlafly

Originally posted by hops99
    Ron, you mentioned the Tap Room in St. Louis. Do you live in that area? I've always thought Schlafly's beers are underrated - and their "Hop in the City" festival every September is top notch.

BTW, Welcome aboard!
    I live near St. Louis and used to work within a few blocks of the Tap Room. It's an awesome little place and their beers are terrific. Two thumbs up! The festival is always fun, as is Strassenfest.

Thanks for the welcome.

Brownbeard: As for Grolsch, I like it and my wife likes it. She drinks it much more often than I, but it's a good beer.

Every time I have ever bought a Grolsch, I have the same opinion, skunky. I am not a macro drinker, I will never turn down a bud if it is the only beer there. Grolsch is one of the few beers that I really won't drink if I can help it. Heinekin is the same way, they have that nasty green bottle flavor.
    I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson

Heinekin - the beer that's fooled everyone at least once.
    "That John Cusack is the thinking
    man's Matthew Broderick."

Originally posted by threecb
    Even worse, when you're in any place that gives you a frosted mug/glass, and after you finish, they give you a new fresh frosted mug, like they're doing you a favor. Um, just use the one I got to the right temperature, please...
    I've done that...and got the strange tilted head look Steveh mentioned.
    I like going into a brew pub and finding out the brewmaster is the guy sitting next to me having a pint!

Originally posted by BluesHarp
    I like going into a brew pub and finding out the brewmaster is the guy sitting next to me having a pint!
    Yeah, but only if he's excited that a beer geek wants to talk about his craft. Sometimes I feel like they're thinking "I'm not in the mood to talk shop..."

But that doesn't happen often...
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Chilled glasses

One of the nice things about the USA is that people in the service industries seem to like to provide service. That's not always the case, you understand.

When I was in New England a while ago the hotel bar had bottled Sam Smiths. However, when I asked for one the lady beind the bar said she couldn't let me have a chilled glass as she'd run out of them. She was surprised when I told her it didn't matter and even more surprised when I asked her to take some bottles out of the freezer for me so I could let them warm up to a decent temperature.

However, from then on until the day I left, without my ever having to ask, she made sure that there was a cool (not frozen) bottle waiting for me ready to drink straight away. I wonder what her friends thought when she told them about the mad Limey who liked his beer "warm"!
    Richard English

How many drinkers have you converted to good beer today? ;)

Re: Chilled glasses

Originally posted by Richard English
    I wonder what her friends thought when she told them about the mad Limey who liked his beer "warm"!
    Richard, don't you know that you were just perpetuating a stereotype that we all grew up believing over here?

That is, until we either visited England, or had an English beer served in the proper way - then we all discovered just what we'd been missing!

S.

Re: Chilled glasses

When I was in New England a while ago the hotel bar had bottled Sam Smiths. However, when I asked for one the lady beind the bar said she couldn't let me have a chilled glass as she'd run out of them. She was surprised when I told her it didn't matter and even more surprised when I asked her to take some bottles out of the freezer for me so I could let them warm up to a decent temperature.
    Richard, you could have just had her stick your beer in the microwave! THAT would have gotten it warmed up in no time!

I am perpetually amazed at how good cask conditioned beer tastes, and at room temperature to boot. I guess I know why everyone in the US who drinks macrobrew likes it as cold as can be....
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

When I go out I always ask for a room tempature glass. If they bring a chilled one, I make them correxct the mistake.

I also have trained a bartender. When she see me comes in, she pulls my a couple of my beers out of the ice to warm up while I take the first one cold.

Yeah, that's REALLY frustrating to get frozen glasses in beer bars - but I think it's inexcusable to get frozen glasses at brewpubs. It's happened to me a few times, and every time the brewpub's beers (after warming above 33 F...) have been typically undrinkable. It's one of the tell-tale signs to me that a brewpub/brewery tasting room is a place to avoid.

Maybe we should start a new thread that asks for the names of mediocre brewpubs. Ones that have fair beer or should be avoided. I have seen a thread on a British beer board entitled Places to Avoid. It is with regard to pubs. They do not like pubs with big screen tvs, loud bands, too much smoking, no smoking sections, and especially improperly handled beer!

I, for one, would PREFER a pub with not just a no smoking section, but a no smoking POLICY. But that's a topic for another board entirely, I suppose....
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

b3s Guest
    well, i prefer to be able to smoke in a pub...but what really get's my goat is loud music during football games!

Non-smoking areas

All pubs in the J D Wetherspoon chain have a non-smoking area so that those who wish to drink in a smoke-free environment can do so and those who wish to indulge their nicotine habit are free to do so without inconveniencing others.

JDW also have a "no-music" policy and thus their bar staff cannot inflict their own choice of pop music on their hapless customers!

JDW is now the fastest-growing and profitable pub chain in the UK, simply by adopting some logical, customer-friendly, policies.

And incidentally, all JDW pubs will have a range of Real Ales at very reasonable prices.

Whereas they are not to everyone's taste, Wetherspoon's pubs are a welcome oasis in any town that has no good local boozers.
    Richard English

How many drinkers have you converted to good beer today? ;)

Re: Non-smoking areas

And incidentally, all JDW pubs will have a range of Real Ales at very reasonable prices.
    That's what I was waiting to hear! I wonder if they're flirting with any ideas to expand their franchise? Say...across the big pond?

S.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast