Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh...what's going on here?

Uh...what's going on here?

What's this American Beer Month thingy about?

The 31 days of the year in which American breweries try to convince the general public that they should drink domestic beer simply because it is, well, American.
    On Tap -

Oak Aged Bourbon Porter
    Traditional Mead
    Russian Imperial Stout
    Squeeze My Grapefruits Summer Blonde
    Kolsch

Next to brew - Irish Red Rye, Chipotle Smoked Porter

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

It's too bad that they do so little during the other 11 months to convince folks that they should drink American beer other than LCD (lowest common denominator) advertising campaigns.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

I'll gladly buy and drink American made beer, but the breweries have to help me out by brewing something drinkable! Finding good American beers is like a damned treasure hunt. What I'm trying to say is that, while it's out there, it takes some effort to go out and find it. My neighborhood bars, liquor stores, etc... all sell the same old macro stuff. The Germans had it right in 1516 when they basically legislated quality beer be made there. They virtually guaranteed the reputation of German beer forever. Even today, when you can ship something to Europe in 12 hours, you can go anywhere and they still have two prices for beer. Domestic and Imported.
    -Jon
    Drinking:

Good beer is readily available in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by chazwicke
    Good beer is readily available in my area.
    Ditto. And I live in a small town in Texas.
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

I live in Tampa and can find nearly everything... Mebbe it's time to re-locate from KY?

Quote Originally Posted by surfadelic23
    I live in Tampa and can find nearly everything...
    I think you could be using "nearly everything" rather liberally. Got any 3 Floyds? Capital or Surly? New Holland?

But to Jon's statement, he needs to get to a better beer area. Jon, can you get the Victory beers in KY? They stand up to any German lager very well, as does anything from Gordon Biersch -- a wide-ranging micro with many brew-pubs across the country. And for the record, the Reihensgobott was more a tax shelter than a brewing law. Think about it, Weizen doesn't follow the rule and it's one of the best styles to come from Bavaria.

S.
    Last edited by steveh; 07-09-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    I think you could be using "nearly everything" rather liberally. Got any 3 Floyds? Capital or Surly? New Holland?

But to Jon's statement, he needs to get to a better beer area. Jon, can you get the Victory beers in KY? They stand up to any German lager very well, as does anything from Gordon Biersch -- a wide-ranging micro with many brew-pubs across the country. And for the record, the Reihensgobott was more a tax shelter than a brewing law. Think about it, Weizen doesn't follow the rule and it's one of the best styles to come from Bavaria.

S.
    Actually, I believe weizen fits the bill, because the wheat is malted. IIRC, the RHGB states that beer can only be made from malt, hops and water (yeast was later added as an amendment once they knew what it was).
    Second, the tax comment is correct, and addresses the wheat beer piece more directly. At the time of the RHGB, it was illegal to anyone but royal family members, or their servants, to brew wheat beer. Schneider was the first brewer ever permitted to brew wheat beer not for the royal family, hence their claim as "the first."
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    Schneider was the first brewer ever permitted to brew wheat beer not for the royal family, hence their claim as "the first."
    Exactly my point, the RHGB was "amended" later to include wheat for the sake of Weizen. Here's a translation of the original creed: http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html

Of note -- it doesn't include yeast in the text anywhere, 'cause they didn't know it was yeast actually doing the work!

S.
    Last edited by steveh; 07-09-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Exactly my point, the RHGB was "amended" later to include wheat for the sake of Weizen. Here's a translation of the original creed: http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html

Of note -- it doesn't include yeast in the text anywhere, 'cause they didn't know it was yeast actually doing the work!

S.
    Interesting. I knew yeast was an amendment, but did not know wheat was. That makes your point even stronger, as my read of the text would specifically prevent anyone not of royal lineage from making wheat beer, which I know was highly coveted by the royals.
    -Beerking

as my read of the text would specifically prevent anyone not of royal lineage from making wheat beer, which I know was highly coveted by the royals.
    Actually, it was only the royals who could make any beer for a very long time (Hofbrauhaus' across the land were royal breweries) in Germany. Of course, they sold beer to the commoners... how do you think they made their fortunes?

S.

Actually, it was only the royals who could make any beer for a very long time (Hofbrauhaus' across the land were royal breweries) in Germany. Of course, they sold beer to the commoners... how do you think they made their fortunes?

S.
    True, but I believe that predates RHGB by multiple decades.
    Don't forget, even in this country, the Kennedy's (the ones who actually worked for a living) made their fortunes on Whisky (significant protion of that during Prohibition, IIRC).
    -Beerking

True, but I believe that predates RHGB by multiple decades.
    Maybe, have to look back into that history, can't recall where the whole balance of brewing power tipped.

To the higher courts' credit, I believe they took over responsibilities (if not profits) mainly because there was so much tainted beer being sold -- with obvious disastrous results to the consumers!

S.

"I think you could be using "nearly everything" rather liberally. Got any 3 Floyds? Capital or Surly? New Holland?"
    No, but I CAN name three other random breweries I CAN get... Lagunitas! Weyerbacher!! and DFH!!!*
    *Plus a wonderful assortment of Belgians and other tasty treats... Shall I name three?
    ;-)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast