Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh...what's going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by surfadelic23
    No, but I CAN name three other random breweries I CAN get... Lagunitas! Weyerbacher!! and DFH!!!*
    Um, me too. Got a Lagoo Pils waiting for me at home as we type.

*Plus a wonderful assortment of Belgians and other tasty treats... Shall I name three?
    Have at it, but the point to be made is that there is plenty of good American beer to be had out there, whether available local or a great regional catch... but I really don't know anywhere that has "everything."

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Quote Originally Posted by surfadelic23
    I live in Tampa and can find nearly everything... Mebbe it's time to re-locate from KY?
    Haha. Very good with the KY jokes guys. We have saying around here, though. "I'm from Louisville, not KY". Also surfadelic, I might add that at 701,500 people, Louisville is over double the size of Tampa. That's not counting the surrounding areas. Just sayin' ...

Seriously, my point was not that good beer doesn't exist around me. It's just alot more scarce than bud lite. I could take a 10 minute drive to Downtown and there's a few scattered brewpubs there. I could head east for 10 more minutes and find a couple more or drive across the river and find a few more. We even have a couple of decent local breweries. I like the BBC Bluegrass Brewing Company stuff. I simply saying that few of us, I suspect, can walk to the neighborhood bars and find much of a selection. Alot of times if there's a game on or I just feel like getting out, I'll walk down the street to one of the 2 or 3 bars nearby, run into some friends and cousins and drink a few of whatever. Usually Buds. It would be nice if I could have a glass of maibock or dunkel, or if they would shake things up every now and then with some wits or seasonal beers. It would be nice if American beer was synonymous with quality. It isn't. Most of the beer at most of the bars in America is tasteless ricewater made by the same three marketing machines. I've actually considered bringing a couple cases of my beer to the bar so I can buy it back from them when I'm down there!
    -Jon
    Drinking:

Quote Originally Posted by jonlouisville77
    I simply saying that few of us, I suspect, can walk to the neighborhood bars and find much of a selection. Alot of times if there's a game on or I just feel like getting out, I'll walk down the street to one of the 2 or 3 bars nearby, run into some friends and cousins and drink a few of whatever. Usually Buds.
    There are no bars within 4 miles of where I live. Probably one of the benefits I am missing by not living in the city.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

There are stores close enough to me that I can find plenty of good American beers. Restaurants and bars on the other hand...

And really, one cannot take as much stock in "Buying American" as they could 30 years ago. In fact it would be damn near impossible to buy entirely American made products. And now for some reason I have that old "Look for the Union Lable" jingle from the 70s stuck in my head.
    As a matter of fact, I do have a good reason for smelling like a brewery.

I don't expect everyone to buy only American or only union products, but I do think that the least we can do, as consumers, is consider whether or not a product we're buying is hurting someone. We can blame politicians, foreign heads of state, economic forces, corporations or whatever, but when it really comes down to it, the buck stops here.
    -Jon
    Drinking:

I guess I'm going off on a tangent there. Ignore me. Sorry.
    -Jon
    Drinking:

I hope you still use the line with the human cashier in the store. THose self checkout aisles are taking jobs.

Nah,
    I wouldn't slag KY. I grew up in South Central PA in the 70's which makes nearly everywhere look cosmpolitan by comparison... Some wags even refer to where I lived as Pennsyltucky!
    FLA was pretty beer barren when I moved here 8 yrs. ago but now, I can get a fairly good choice (caveat...not nearly everything, please don't get angry steveh/mods!) of American, Belgian, and German good brews on tap and at local stores and there's 3-4 brew-pubs within 45 minutes of my house with another few opening soon... I'm lucky!!

I guess my gripe with people saying they can get "everything" stems back to when the beer shelves were a wasteland here in the US. Chaz, King, and I are probably the only few to remember searching out odd and different beers in the age before micros.

Of course, now "everything" available would literally fill a warehouse of shelves -- probably have to set it up like a Canadian beer store where the cases come out on a conveyor from the back.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    I guess my gripe with people saying they can get "everything" stems back to when the beer shelves were a wasteland here in the US. Chaz, King, and I are probably the only few to remember searching out odd and different beers in the age before micros.S.
    I can remember when it was reasonable to go to a new paint store with a "good" selection, and walk out with "one of everything," or at least one of everything I had not seen before.
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    ...or at least one of everything I had not seen before.
    But back in 1979 or so, I'll bet that probably happened once.

I remember finding things like EKU-28, Brand Lager from Holland, Hacker-Pschorr Weiss (very old, the yeast had almost congealed), and some English brands -- after trying them, there wasn't much left but to go around the horn again.

I wish I could remember when I first saw Anchor Steam, but I'm guessing that was closer to 1984 or 85.

S.

Brand Lager from Holland,
    I bet it was even in an opaque white bottle (I think I still have one or two of them for my homebrew).

I wish I could remember when I first saw Anchor Steam, but I'm guessing that was closer to 1984 or 85.
    I had Anchor Steam well before that, but then again, I "came of age" in the SF Bay Area.
    -Beerking

I guess my gripe with people saying they can get "everything" stems back to when the beer shelves were a wasteland here in the US.
    There's a big liquor store near me (part of the Shop-Rite grocery chain) that, while it has a "big" beer section, it's by no means "good"- I give it just an "OK". And, on top it of it all, is an absolute mess as far as freshness (Czechvar 1/2 liters with a "Best Before" of 02-2006 my favorite example) and shelving logic* goes.

I was surprised one day to pull up (yeah, the place sucks, but sometimes I need beer and they *ocassionally* will have a good price and good date on things like Pilsner Urquell or Victory cases) and there was a HUGE banner displayed prominently in front window of the place that proclaimed:
    WE CARRY ALL IMPORTED, MICROBREW AND SPECIALTY BEERS

"Wow", I thought to myself, " 'ALL'? They musta added on a few thousand square feet to the place and are getting a lot of "bootlegged" and grey market beers...".

Looked close at the banner (which- and this is a big hint- featured Hoegaarden, Bass and Widmer logos) and the fine print read "Import Brands Alliance"- A-B's import division that specializes in InBev and their other import brands. Still, do they REALLY think that's "ALL" the imported and craft beers?

* As far as being a mess and disorganized, I was looking around one day and found some of the shelving so funny, I had to write it down. Looking down the rows of bottles, these are some of the labels of beers arranged next to one another:

Stone – Taj Mahal –Rogue
    Samuel Smith Winter Warmer – Hitachino Nest White Ale – Saku
    La Rulles – Southhampton Imperial Porter – Podkovan Lager
    Bud Chelada – Flying Fish Grand Cru – Red Bull
    Sly Fox Weisse – Wells Banana Bread Beer – Schnieder Weisse
    Coors NA- Sharp- O-Doul’s- Ballantine Ale

Chaz, King, and I are probably the only few to remember searching out odd and different beers in the age before micros.
    Yeah, I'm in that grouping, too. The women I would date often found it very confusing when on a trip someplace, I'd stop in every liquor store/beer distributor (PA)/beer store we pass, but seldom return to the vehicle with any purchases. (They usually quickly decided to "stay in the truck" as I "shopped".) "Nothin'..." I'd mutter under my breathe...

The other day I was driving by an area near where I once lived, glanced a the local liquor store and thought "Hey, that's the store in which I first purchased "Ballantine 'Brewers Gold' Ale" (a short-lived Falstaff product, circa 1979)!" Happens all the time. I still remember the first stores where I found beers like Anchor, Catamount, Newman's, etc. I remember that first Anchor Liberty Ale came from a Boston trip my GF took while we were living in the Finger Lakes area.

Or, I'll drive by some dive bar (or, a building that once was a bar- local neighborhood mom & pop bars in NJ are dying at an incredible rate) and think, "They used to have the Rheingold-era McSorley's on tap" or "That place once had 8 German draughts".
    Last edited by jesskidden; 07-11-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    I bet it was even in an opaque white bottle (I think I still have one or two of them for my homebrew).
    Yup. We jokingly called it the "milk beer" because the bottle looked to contain dairy product!

S.

Quote Originally Posted by jesskidden
    I'd stop in every liquor store/beer distributor (PA)/beer store we pass, but seldom return to the vehicle with any purchases.
    Sounds like trips I'd make around the midwest. My trouble is, I'd find something I expected to be "new" and "exciting" and look closer at the label later: Brewed In LaCrosse, WI. Jeeze. Heilleman had bought a lot of trademarks and was bottling (for the most part) Old Style as an "old local favorite."

My best memories from those days was waiting for the Rhinelander Bock to come out in the Spring. Back when I still thought it was the barrel clean-out beer!

S.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast