Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh...what's going on here?

I was really lucky then! Went to school at Univ. of Delaware and had Stateline Liquors down the road all through the 80's! I remember my 1st bottle of Old Peculier like it was yesterday! We'd go in and buy raftloads of singles we'd never heard of before then have a brew watching the sunset in the Parking Lot...

If I had gone to college just down the road from a place like Stateline, I probably would never have finished college!
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by surfadelic23
    FLA was pretty beer barren when I moved here 8 yrs. ago but now, I can get a fairly good choice (caveat...not nearly everything, please don't get angry steveh/mods!) of American, Belgian, and German good brews on tap and at local stores and there's 3-4 brew-pubs within 45 minutes of my house with another few opening soon... I'm lucky!!
    Tampa right? Last time I was there I was taken to a German bar/deli/restaurant INSIDE some horrible strip mall. Was the most peculiar thing. Meats hanging from the ceiling, strudles in the case, all the traditional german visuals, banners, paintings of okterbfest all over the wall and of course decent beers yet 5 feet a way you had canned mall music and people going into JC Penney. I did enjoy the Hofbrau on tap though.
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    If I had gone to college just down the road from a place like Stateline, I probably would never have finished college!
    Same way I feel about U.W. Madison... but maybe more to the extreme of not surviving!! (of course, that would have been a time before craft brew -- can anyone say Huber for me? I knew you could)

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    It WAS a close one! Like I said, they had a killer selection 20+ yrs. ago and it's only better now. Was in there before homecoming 2 yrs ago... Like a kid in a candy store I was!
    Last edited by surfadelic23; 07-15-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
    Tampa right? Last time I was there I was taken to a German bar/deli/restaurant INSIDE some horrible strip mall. Was the most peculiar thing. Meats hanging from the ceiling, strudles in the case, all the traditional german visuals, banners, paintings of okterbfest all over the wall and of course decent beers yet 5 feet a way you had canned mall music and people going into JC Penney. I did enjoy the Hofbrau on tap though.

too funny, dunderbaks is the spot you're describing I believe:

http://www.dunderbaks.com/

Pretty good spot, have never heard anything bad about it... It's a bit of a drive from my house so I haven't been there yet but the guys at my package store swear by it...

It WAS a close one! Like I said, they had a killer selection 20+ yrs. ago and it's only better now. Was in there before homecoming 2 yrs ago... Like a kid in a candy store I was!
    Stateline is a great place, and a must stop for any beer geek heading north from DC/Baltimore. Whenever I go to Philly, I usually stop on the way home and fill whatever empty space there is in the car.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Pretty good spot, have never heard anything bad about it... It's a bit of a drive from my house so I haven't been there yet but the guys at my package store swear by it...
    Hey thanks for posting this link. Looks like a place to
    visit when we are in the Tampa area in couple of weeks.
    And for those of you who really don't like beer, there's AB, Coors and MillerSAB products.

Quote Originally Posted by corysdad
    Hey thanks for posting this link. Looks like a place to
    visit when we are in the Tampa area in couple of weeks.
    LOL, I'll check it out with ya as I haven't been there but the guys I know who have love it and I respect their opinion... Also worth checking out is Tampa Bay Brewing Co. in Ybor city(next to tampa), mellow mushroom in Brandon(1/2 hr or so from tampa worst case), Kingdom Liqours (for your package good needs), Dunedin Brewing in Dunedin, BJ's brew house in Pinellas Park/St. Pete...
    That's actually the order in which I like em...mol

LOL, I'll check it out with ya as I haven't been there but the guys I know who have love it and I respect their opinion... Also worth checking out is Tampa Bay Brewing Co. in Ybor city(next to tampa), mellow mushroom in Brandon(1/2 hr or so from tampa worst case), Kingdom Liqours (for your package good needs), Dunedin Brewing in Dunedin, BJ's brew house in Pinellas Park/St. Pete...
    That's actually the order in which I like em...mol
    We stay in Palm Harbor and have been to some
    of the places you've mentioned. Most are pretty
    good. Relatively new package store in Clearwater
    is Total Wine and More, it's the first stop after our
    arrival to stock up for the duration.
    And for those of you who really don't like beer, there's AB, Coors and MillerSAB products.

Beware the On Cask Traditional English Beer Engine.

Just 'cause it's being poured from a beer engine doesn't mean it's a cask conditioned ale.

And what the heck is a "Surger?"

But their German offerings are pretty respectable.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    Beware the On Cask Traditional English Beer Engine.

Just 'cause it's being poured from a beer engine doesn't mean it's a cask conditioned ale.

And what the heck is a "Surger?"

But their German offerings are pretty respectable.

S.
    Anyway of knowing if it is indeed cask conditioned? That's
    what I was kinda interested in.

I just called the place, guy that answered phone said,
    surger replaces need for nitrogen in the Guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by corysdad
    Anyway of knowing if it is indeed cask conditioned? That's
    what I was kinda interested in.
    Only real way to tell on your side of the bar is observation and taste. If they're just using the engine as a dispenser, odds are that the beer will be more carbonated than any truly cask-conditioned beer. The body won't be as smooth either, due to higher carbonation.

I just called the place, guy that answered phone said,
    surger replaces need for nitrogen in the Guinness.
    Wha...? I sure hope they're not serving it without the nitrogen, I'd bet it would be pretty flat.

I'm guessing that the "surger" is what the English call a "sparkler." It's a little device that attaches to the end of the beer engine spigot and forces air into the beer and adds a small head. Most purists ask a publican to pour sans-sparkler.

Then again, it looks as if Guinness has a new gimmick:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/g...ger-160488.php yeesh.

S.

Here's the sparkler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_engine#Sparkler I don't buy the explanation given, I've had the same beer with and without sparkler (from the same tap) and the only difference seems to be less smooth when "sparkled."

S.

heh. had forgotten about the infamous fakey fullers pumps! In a pinch, we could always say we're camra inspectors and ask to see his cellar!
    There was something months ago on what surgers are on BeerAdvocate maybe?... Can't remember off the top of my head though but I seem to remember them being a little more elaborate than just a sparkler...
    Isn't the knock against sparklers that they do something wonkey to the carbonation? I've only run into sparklers in Northern England. Exactly right, they look like a plastic screw on attachment where the beer comes out...
    Last edited by surfadelic23; 07-16-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast