Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Uh...what's going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by surfadelic23
    Can't remember off the top of my head though but I seem to remember them being a little more elaborate than just a sparkler...
    See my link on page 1.

Isn't the knock against sparklers that they do something wonkey to the carbonation?
    From what I can tell, it just adds more (though not like forced carbonation) and thus changes the body & mouth-feel of the beer.

I've only run into sparklers in Northern England.
    According to the Wiki page they're more popular in the north. A local good-beer-bar was using one (not sure why) and I asked for my pour without, please. I don't recall ever seeing one used in London when I was there.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    Actually, it was only the royals who could make any beer for a very long time (Hofbrauhaus' across the land were royal breweries) in Germany. Of course, they sold beer to the commoners... how do you think they made their fortunes?

S.
    Where does that piece of info come from ?
    \,,/ DIE WITH A BEER IN YOUR HAND \,,/

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlsturm
    Where does that piece of info come from ?
    From some of the brewing history books I've collected over the years, am I misquoting or are they mistaken? Of course, they're talking on a large, marketable scale -- not "home brewing."

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

fyi...

Mr. Dunderbak's has just changed locations from inside of "some horrible strip mall" to a new location. We affectionately refer to this place as Dunders. It's the home of the Tampa Bay beer club, TB BEERS.

The Mall was not a great location, but Dunders is a great place. Now located at 14929 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard (a few miles from the mall).

The new larger Mr. Dunderbak's has upward of 50 beers on tap (none of which are bud/miller/anything similar). The staff is generally fairly beer educated from the monthly homebrew club meetings and various events. It is now one of the places to go.

And one quick note: Mr. Dunderbak's used to be a German beer franchise located in several Malls. There are 3 independently owned Mr. Dunderbak's remaining. Don't be fooled. Tampa's location is the best of the bunch. There is one in Daytona featuring Bud and miller products on tap and not much else.

As a prior member of TB BEERS i kind of felt the need to step up and explain things here.
    ________
    Watch Her Clitoris Spasm With Orgasm
    Last edited by Beer Martin; 03-24-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks for the update. My family
    and I went to the University Mall
    pub last summer. Glad they moved
    from there as we didn't think that
    that was avery good place for a
    pub as nice as Mr.Dunderbak's.
    Just not the right atmosphere. We
    will look them up in a couple of
    months when we get back to my
    parents place in Palm Harbor.
    And for those of you who really don't like beer, there's AB, Coors and MillerSAB products.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    I think you could be using "nearly everything" rather liberally. S.

I think your definition of everything may be a tad on the nitpicky side. Peoplwe get use to having a lmited option of choices. Then when that suddenly changes, they think, and with good reason, that they now have everything. For ibnstance, I come from a very rural part of NY. Just last year, that area learned that toilet bowls can be made from porcelain instead of wood. So now as they see it, they finally have everything in the world of plumbing.

I am also in the age group that you referenced. I too couid relate save for if we were that far behind in toilet bowls, one can only imagine what the beer selection was like. They may be getting better now as the area is about 85% absentee owner. They must bring some beer knowledge with them.

That area is so remote that to my knowledge, there is still no cell phone service available what so ever.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonlouisville77
    I'll gladly buy and drink American made beer, but the breweries have to help me out by brewing something drinkable! Finding good American beers is like a damned treasure hunt. What I'm trying to say is that, while it's out there, it takes some effort to go out and find it. My neighborhood bars, liquor stores, etc... all sell the same old macro stuff. The Germans had it right in 1516 when they basically legislated quality beer be made there. They virtually guaranteed the reputation of German beer forever. Even today, when you can ship something to Europe in 12 hours, you can go anywhere and they still have two prices for beer. Domestic and Imported.

Anything by Dechutes brewery in Bend,OR is awesome!But i agree it is, in smaller rural areas very hard to find good craft beer.In Seattle i had access to a store that literally carried over 1000 different beers, i doubt very much they had everything but they did have A LOT! Now,Back in Podunk small town Ohio, i cant find a good stout or porter to save my life!I don't count Guinness as a good stout for the record.To me Guinness is just the Bud Light of Stouts....
    Last edited by vance71975; 10-25-2009 at 04:38 AM.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Rat
    It's too bad that they do so little during the other 11 months to convince folks that they should drink American beer other than LCD (lowest common denominator) advertising campaigns.
    +1 ahahaha
    Graduate of Geology.
    Undergraduate of Brewing.

Primary: Oudu Bruin, German Alt
    condition:TartRaspberryAle, Saison, Hefeweizen
    on deck: Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Undergradbrewin
    +1 ahahaha
    Well Budweiser does make an either American ale or an American wheat now, i really didn't pay much attn not that i would drink any swill they make anyway.But i could be wrong and which ever it is could be a stellar brew,but i aint brave enough to waste money to find out, so if anyone has tried it let me know how it was.For now ill stick to home brew or the occasional splurge on a Great Lakes Brewing Co Beer there Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    Well Budweiser does make an either American ale or an American wheat now, i really didn't pay much attn not that i would drink any swill they make anyway.But i could be wrong and which ever it is could be a stellar brew,but i aint brave enough to waste money to find out, so if anyone has tried it let me know how it was.For now ill stick to home brew or the occasional splurge on a Great Lakes Brewing Co Beer there Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is amazing!
    I drink Amber Bock once in awhile by Michelob. They also came out with other that arent bad at all for the price.
    http://www.michelob.com/default.aspx

They make good Homebrew bottles. And at 5.49 a six pack at Wal-Mart, you cant go wrong. 9.99 for the 12 pack.

Atleast ONE major Company has got the clue, and realized theres a HUGE base of specialty beer drinkers out there.

I'm really getting tired of seeing Fat Tire for 9.99 a six pack. And other 22 oz. Specialty beers for 5.99. It's ridiculous .

Edit:
    Oh and btw the Wheat beer from bud isn't even drinkable. Props top them for atleast attempting a wheat.

Not many people know this but pre prohibition, Wheat beers were the most common beer. After prohibition only a handful of Breweries survived, and due to costs went with barley.
    Last edited by Jaimez; 02-22-2010 at 04:03 AM.
    Bottled - Saison
    Fermenter - Belgian Pale Ale
    Secondary -
    On Deck -
    Future Brew -

Michelob does actually put out a few good beers, their Dopplebock (I think) was good. Of course I can't usually get them here. Bud American Ale was awful.
    I don't have any facts on hand but I'd have a hard time believing everybody was drinking wheat beers back then. Where's Jesskidden?
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    Michelob does actually put out a few good beers, their Dopplebock (I think) was good. Of course I can't usually get them here. Bud American Ale was awful.
    I don't have any facts on hand but I'd have a hard time believing everybody was drinking wheat beers back then. Where's Jesskidden?
    Well i'm going of a documentary i saw, Lol. So i guess i could be wrong.
    Bottled - Saison
    Fermenter - Belgian Pale Ale
    Secondary -
    On Deck -
    Future Brew -

We do realize that Michelob is an AB product , correct? As I have stated before, they could come out with the world's best beer and I would still not buy it. Not because of their other beers but because of their past ugly marketing and smear ads against smaller brewers.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!

I haven't seen any of the ads you're talking about so I can't judge them on that. We don't have any smaller breweries out here that they would target.
    Otherwise if they have a good beer at a good price I would probably buy it, but I've only had one or 2 AB products that I would even consider paying money for.
    Who is it here on RB that works for or used to work for AB?
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    I haven't seen any of the ads you're talking about so I can't judge them on that. We don't have any smaller breweries out here that they would target.
    Otherwise if they have a good beer at a good price I would probably buy it, but I've only had one or 2 AB products that I would even consider paying money for.
    But have you tried the NEW AB American Ale or what ever it is called?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast