Thread: European Beers Swap for US Beers

European Beers Swap for US Beers

Anyone in the US want to swap beer?

I can get hold of 1000s of European beers (I am in the UK) and I would like to swap for some US beers - especially Dogfish and Avery.

Never swapped beers across the atlantic before so any pointers or info on posting beer and legalities of doing so very welcome.

many thanks and Cheers!
    Ken

I would really like to get a hold of some fresh German Alt or Helles. I can get Dogfish Head 60 M, 90 M, and 120 M (the 120 M is pricey!). I can also get Dogfish Head Raison De'te and their Apricot beer.
    "I know I'm not doing much, but doing nothing means a lot to me."
    -Bonn Scott

I can get anything Avery you want - I'm only 40 miles from the brewery - but 1) I have no idea what to ask you for, and 2) I have no idea if it's okay to ship alcohol from country to country, or what the protocol might be. Anyone?.... anyone?...
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

This is very timely. I am looking for some beer for a Beer Judge class I am teaching.

Specifically, I would like to inquire aobut the following:
    Mann's Brown Ale, Tolly Cobbold Cobnut Nut Brown Ale, Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel, Aass Bock, Belhaven 60/-, McEwan's 60/-, Maclay 60/- Light, Caledonian 70/-, Belhaven 70/-, Orkney Raven Ale, Maclay 70/-, Paulaner Roggen, Bu̹rgerbräu Wolznacher Roggenbier .

I realize some may be draft only, and some may not even be around anymore, but some may have changed since this list was put together.

I would be interested in 2 bottles of one beer from each style above.

I have access to all of Dogfish Head and much of Avery.

You can reach me by PM.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Originally posted by fretlessman71
    I can get anything Avery you want - I'm only 40 miles from the brewery - but 1) I have no idea what to ask you for, and 2) I have no idea if it's okay to ship alcohol from country to country, or what the protocol might be. Anyone?.... anyone?...
    I've done a bit of research into this from the Australian end, and it seems that it depends a lot on what the customs rules are in the destination country and the amounts shipped are. I know the Australian Post specifically forbids shipping alcoholic beverages to the U.S., but it seems to be ok for the rest of the world if its under a liter. I think the U.S ban has to do with the different state laws in the U.S. that Australia Post doesn't want to deal with it.. that and the U.S.P.S. handles it once its in country and they forbid it. You're probably talking using private shipping companies, and I heard DHL is the most lenient, but I haven't put it to the test.

A good topic really. People from different countries should research the local rules and regulations on shipping beer in and out of country.

I do know its different when you're carrying it yourself in baggage.
    Last edited by Arassuil; 02-05-2008 at 01:19 AM.
    ...mmmmm... beer.....

Beer Guide Australia
    www.beerguide.com.au

Arassuil, is correct. It is against Federal law to ship alcohol in the US Mail, so the only way to go is using a private shipper, such as DHL or FEDEX. Just about any of them will not overtly allow alcohol to be shipped, but if you pack it yourself and send "food samples," those two usually don't ask questions (ignorance is bliss).
    -Beerking

I've purchased many vintage bottles of English brews for my cellar. Mainly through Ebay auctions and the beers have always arrived safely at my door. The fact that it was beer being shipped was not advertised.
    Dance to the music

Just so folks know the last package I got from the UK, two pint bottles (Youngs & Meantime), had a shipping cost of £20 (appx. $39.00).

The cost of shipping and the anemically weak US dollar are not friendly for these exchanges.

As far as the legality I've never had a problem reveiving a shipment from over the Pond.
    "It happened to me that I drank one beer after another."
    -Hasek

I've always been fine when asked if there is any food or drink in the package. I look at the person and say no. Also note that USPS is more stringent than FedEx or UPS.
    -
    RDW, the worst that can happen is that you have to actually 'buy' beer.

Drinking: Coal Porter, American Amber
    Primary:
    Secondary: Saison
    Conditioning: Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner Lager
    In queue: Orange Tripel, Imperial Stout, IPA

Let's see, a bottle of beer has about 700 gramms. I can ship up to 5000 gramms for 48 EUR (= 70 USD) so that'd probably be 4 or 5 bottles and enough packing material so they won't break. That's the airmail price for DHL. UPS or FedEx are insanely expensive. From experience it's usually around tripple of the DHL price. Anyone willing to pay that, be my guest.
    \,,/ DIE WITH A BEER IN YOUR HAND \,,/

Quote Originally Posted by dparsons
    I've always been fine when asked if there is any food or drink in the package. I look at the person and say no. Also note that USPS is more stringent than FedEx or UPS.
    I would advise avoiding USPS. Iti s against federal law to ship alcohol in the mail (no law about private shippers). I know of at least one person who had his beer "discovered by Customs, and got a very threatening letter from the US Postmaster General, to the effect that "you got away with it this time, but try this again and you will face fines and/or imprisonment."
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlsturm
    Let's see, a bottle of beer has about 700 gramms. I can ship up to 5000 gramms for 48 EUR (= 70 USD) so that'd probably be 4 or 5 bottles and enough packing material so they won't break. That's the airmail price for DHL. UPS or FedEx are insanely expensive. From experience it's usually around tripple of the DHL price. Anyone willing to pay that, be my guest.
    I always heard that DHL was the best for this.
    ...mmmmm... beer.....

Beer Guide Australia
    www.beerguide.com.au

I do not have any experience with alcohol, but I know that during my year in Kuwait, DHL was the most reliable, and affordable, shipper internationally.
    -Beerking