Thread: Looking for some west coast brews...

Looking for some west coast brews...

I'm new to the whole beer trading scene, so I thought I'd start here. I hear about great breweries out west (Three Floyd's, Russian River, Alesmith), etc. I live in PA, and am fortunate enough to live around several great craft brew stores, and several microbreweries. Just wondering if anybody out there can get their hands on any of those west coast brews for me, and if so, what they might be looking for in return from the east coast?

-Thanks
    -Dan
    In Progress: Dawson's Kriek, 10W-30, Dutch Castle Magic
    Drinking: Honey Porter, Blackberry Blonde
    Aging:Bourbon Barrel Barleywine, Spiced Cider

anybody out there?

Lookin for any russian river lovers out there....or lost abbey?

I don't think your looking for west coast beer in general - you are looking for beer from California. Russian River brewery is in Santa Rosa and Alesmith is in Sandiago. Three Floyds I think is in Indiana.
    I do not drink beer from California for personal reasons (beer snob) (Native from Oregon). I can get you some Oregon beer if you would like. I hear that Deschutes has made it to the east coast, but I bet you can not get the selection that I can. How about Silver Moon or Cascade Lakes? Both nice brew houses.
    So many Recipes So few Fermenters

*Primary :-(
    *Secondary :-(
    *Bottled - :-(
    *Kegged - Summer Wheat V1, Blackberry Wheat
    *Drinking - Purchased, SummerWheat V1
    *Whats in the future - No Lager Pisner, Irish Red Head, Irish Pale Ale, CHWB, Orange Hefeweizen, Wheat/Weizen, Tugla's Triumph IPA.

For Lost Abbey, you can follow three options I know of:

1. Join the Patron Saints Club (Patron Sinners is sold out for the year). It costs $155 for the year, then you just pay shipping. You will get 2 bottles each of 14 different limited release beers. Registration ends 6/1/2008.
    http://www.lostabbey.com/saints.php

2. Join the Michael Jackson Rare Beer Club. This month's selection is Lost Abbey Inferno (not even on the list for the above mentioned Saints and Sinners clubs). I have been extremely pleased with this club, and have been a member since it first started (actually, since this is the 3 incarnation of a BOTM club from MJ, and I was in all 3, I have been a member since before the Rare Beer Club). When this club started, it had a limited membership, but I don't think it does any more.

3. Fly to CA and buy some at the brewery.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Thanks for the info guys. There are some great options here. I may have to join a club.

-dan

Buying West Coast Beer

Quote Originally Posted by djaychris
    I'm new to the whole beer trading scene, so I thought I'd start here. I hear about great breweries out west (Three Floyd's, Russian River, Alesmith), etc. I live in PA, and am fortunate enough to live around several great craft brew stores, and several microbreweries. Just wondering if anybody out there can get their hands on any of those west coast brews for me, and if so, what they might be looking for in return from the east coast?

-Thanks
    -Dan
    Hi DAn,
    I didn't look but I'm sure someone told you 3 Floyds is an Indiana Micro. You can find and buy a great selection of fantastic beer from everywhere at www.liquidsolutions.biz
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lombotomy...

West Coast Beer on East Coast

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBrew
    I don't think your looking for west coast beer in general - you are looking for beer from California. Russian River brewery is in Santa Rosa and Alesmith is in Sandiago. Three Floyds I think is in Indiana.
    I do not drink beer from California for personal reasons (beer snob) (Native from Oregon). I can get you some Oregon beer if you would like. I hear that Deschutes has made it to the east coast, but I bet you can not get the selection that I can. How about Silver Moon or Cascade Lakes? Both nice brew houses.
    Rogue Ales is all over the East Coast, I think North Coast Brewery has also expanded into the Northeast.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lombotomy...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewinfo
    Hi DAn,
    I didn't look but I'm sure someone told you 3 Floyds is an Indiana Micro. You can find and buy a great selection of fantastic beer from everywhere at www.liquidsolutions.biz
    Great place. My source of Alaskan Smoked Porter in VA. The shipping is expensive though.

I have also found that if the beer is not available in the NW, they do not carry it.
    -Beerking

I see you are out near Pittsburgh. I don't think it makes it to that part of the state, but there is plenty of Lost Abbey and Port Brewing (and sometimes Russian River) to be had in eastern PA. Time for a roadtrip...
    A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

-
    RDW, the worst that can happen is that you have to actually 'buy' beer.

Drinking: Coal Porter, American Amber
    Primary:
    Secondary: Saison
    Conditioning: Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner Lager
    In queue: Orange Tripel, Imperial Stout, IPA

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange
    I see you are out near Pittsburgh. I don't think it makes it to that part of the state, but there is plenty of Lost Abbey and Port Brewing (and sometimes Russian River) to be had in eastern PA. Time for a roadtrip...
    WOW! I have not seen that the last few times I was in Philly. I am heading there on the 26th for the first rround of the NHC. I'll have to try and scare some up!
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    WOW! I have not seen that the last few times I was in Philly. I am heading there on the 26th for the first rround of the NHC. I'll have to try and scare some up!
    Here is your best bet for single bottle take out in Philly. It's on the pricey side, but they offer a discount when you mix-a-six(750's, and bombers incl.) PA also just got a decent shipment in from Brasserie Dieu du Ciel (Peche Mortel, etc.)
    And if you are looking for Lost Abbey Angel's Share, Monks has a few bottles (on premise consumption only).

http://www.fooderybeer.com/ - click on beer
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 04-11-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

For those interested in Liquid Solutions, they just sent out their latest newsletter, and there are some great beers available.
    http://liquidsolutions.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html
    -Beerking

Another great place around philly is the beer yard.

Its up lancaster avenue (rt 30) in Wayne, PA

www.beeryard.com