Thread: Cleaning an aluminum brew kettle

Cleaning an aluminum brew kettle

I would like some input on the best way to clean an aluminum brew kettle. TIA.

Raw or bare aluminum will oxidize when left out in the environment. This oxidation provides a protective layer that will help keep the "aluminum taste" from getting in your brew. It was recommended to me to only use a mild detergent like dish soap and a non-abrasive brush for cleaning. That way you will not remove the oxidized layer.

@BrewGuy: Would you be kind enough to describe what you mean by "aluminum taste"? I've had a flavor issue in some batches recently and I'm trying to rule things out one by one. Many thanks!
    On Deck: Oatmeal Stout; Baltic Porter v.5
    Primary: Rye Lager; Dead Guy Clone
    Secondary: Polecat 125 IBU Pale
    Kegged: Baltic Porter v.4; Anniversary Ale; Belgian Golden Strong (aka "the mindmelter")
    Bottled: Cran / Rasp Cider

Quote Originally Posted by BrewGuy
    Raw or bare aluminum will oxidize when left out in the environment. This oxidation provides a protective layer that will help keep the "aluminum taste" from getting in your brew. It was recommended to me to only use a mild detergent like dish soap and a non-abrasive brush for cleaning. That way you will not remove the oxidized layer.
    I havn't used soap ever, on anything. works for me

Liam

serving: Ale yeasted pilsner, mild
    primary: cream ale
    secondary: American bitter
    conditioning: cocconut porter